It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

Chupita HB User
Unhappy Would like to know what all this means.

I was diagnosed with Chiari malformations type 1. The findings listed on my brain MRI, are as followed; The cerebrum, ventricles and basal cisterns are normal. No acute ifacret, bleed, mass effect, or midline shift. The visualized orbits are normal. The sinuses are within normal limits. the sagittal T1-weighted images demonstrate low-lying cerebellar tonsils about 1.1cm below the level of foramen magnum that is consitent with Chiari malformation.
My cervical spine MRI, states: There is straightening of the cervical spine. The cord is unremarkable. The neural foramina are patent.
At C3-4, there is a disc bulge with indentation of ventral margin of thecal sac.
At C4-5: There is a disc bulge with indentation of the ventral margin of thecal sac.
AtC5-6: The neural foramina are narrowed due to bony spurring.
At C6-7: There is a disc bulge with indentation of the ventral margin of thecal sac and narrowing of the left neural foramen.
At C7-T1: The neural foramina are patent. Currently there is no significant spinal stenosis.
Would like to know what all this means since my Neurologist won't tell me. He says I am fine and brushes me off with 3 pain relieving prescriptions every month.

Last edited by Chupita; 11-30-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
(female)

anna2012 HB User
Re: Would like to know what all this means.

That's messed up that your neurologist won't tell you what you have. Since you have the MRI results, you should go to another neurologist and ask for a second opinion on the MRI. You have a right to know about your body, that is what you pay the doctor for.

Are you very tall? Thin? Long arms and legs? Long fingers? Can you bend your fingers back very far? Is your chest indented or pointy? Do you have curvature of the spine? All of these, with Chiari malformation can indicate a connective tissue disorder such as Marfan Syndrome or Loeys-Dietz Syndrome. If you do have some of these symptoms, you will have to find a clinic that specializes in this area. Doctors are very unfamiliar with it bc it's rare.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread