It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
(male)

Dustyn19 HB User
GBS, MG, or virus-post flu vaccine

Hey everyone. I am 25 y/o paramedic and at the end of October I had the flu shot as well as DTaP vaccine for my job. No health issues except GERD, which for the most part is controlled with Zantac daily.
Around 2-3 weeks after the shots I noticed my throat would get exceptionally dry towards the end of CPR classes, unrelieved with water and I would slur the occasional word. Also noticed my Left upper eyelid was twitching when I looked around. Fast forward to dec 20, the speech thing began to happen during 30-40 minute phone conversations. Along with the annoying dry throat. I'm stubborn, didn't go to the ER until the 22nd or so when I had a migraine type headache and slurring every third or fourth word. Along with fairly constant diarrhea and now dry mouth and throat.
Doctors said the symptoms were "bizarre"
I had a CT scan, and bloodwork. Apparently despite gallons of water I was dehydrated and had low potassium. I was admitted for 2 days, and despite litres of saline the dryness, speech or headache did not improve.
About 5 days out of hospital I woke up with the same headache, some "fogginess" and a mild dry mouth. But my speech was fine, and has been ok since.
What I am left with is a daily headache, occasional dizziness, intermittent dry mouth, jaw fatigue after eating chewy foods or talking for a period of time and for the past week or so a fairly sore irritated throat. I have no cognitive or motor difficulties and am able to perform my duties at work without issue thus far.
I was hoping some of you can identify with these symptoms and perhaps suggest conditions I can mention to my doc.
My current theories are MG, a mild GBS, Lyme (I spent several days hunting in known black legged tic areas), some virus triggered by the flu shot for which the recovery is painfully slow. My CT came back normal, and I don't fit the bill for ALS or MS.
Thanks for reading.

The following user gives a hug of support to Dustyn19:
gmak (02-01-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: GBS, MG, or virus-post flu vaccine

Dustin, Welcome to healthboards! Im sorry that i didnt see your post until now but am hoping this finds you much better. Are you still having neurological symptoms?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
(male)

Dustyn19 HB User

Hey there! Thank you for the reply! I come with some pretty good news. I had my MRI result and it was totally normal.
So far my speech has been totally fine for the past 4+ weeks. My dry mouth has about 80% better, the headaches have reduced to 1/10 occasional pain, but my jaw and tongue still ache from time to time and my throat is fairly sore in the mornings. Back To the tongue/jaw; I have noticed that when I gargle with mouthwash for 30 seconds or more it aches pretty good...seems to originate from the underside of my jaw and into the back of my tongue. The same applies when I eat or talk for any length of time (although I can definitely say it improves daily, just a little).
I am scheduled to see a gastroenterologist, because I have had fairly uncontrolled GERD for the past few years...so a new thought was that the acid is irritating my salivary glands, tongue and throat.
I have seen a plethora of doctors and they all claim that it isn't anything serious. But I am a sucker for a good investigation and I have a strong desire to narrow this thing down to put my mind at ease. The worry of the unknown is more bothersome to me than the idea of a catastrophic illness.
The one thing the docs dismiss altogether is that I have a left eye twitch that happens every day...basically anytime I close my eye tight I can instigate the upper eyelid to twitch, (it does it on its own sometimes too) and I have randomized little muscle twitches throughout the day.
Until I am satisfied with an answer or dx I will continue to comb the boards and web!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi dustyn, Well im glad that its better. What kind of drs have you seen for this? Cranial nerves control so much of the face & you probably know them have you checked into that?
P.s. After this post i checked craniofacial nerves & found that the ninth- glossopharyngeal innervates the posterior part of the tongue & back part of throat & the third - oculomotor controls the eyelid, i hope i got that right! Please update how things work out.

Last edited by gmak; 02-01-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: question & ps

Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
(male)

Dustyn19 HB User

Hey! I have indeed heard of those cranial nerves, and the glossopharyngeal nerve seems to be the culprit. Although I haven't had any issues with numbness or swallowing thus far. But perhaps the reflux has inflamed the back of the throat, putting pressure on that nerve? Where is the real Dr. house? Lol. The pantoloc has definitely controlled the heartburn...and 2 days with miniscule amount of "scratchy throat".
So far I have consulted with 2 internists, 2 ER doctors, a rheumatologist. I am scheduled to see a neurologist and a gastroenterologist. And I am going to have be GP check me for food allergies and lyme. I am probably over doing it, but as I said, I am a sucker for knowledge, and even if I never do get an answer I am becoming much more versed in a lot of different conditions!
Have a great Super Bowl Sunday!

Closed Thread