It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

Nowkwia HB User
Cardio inhibitory Neurocardiogenic syncope without syncope

Active, athletic 29 y/o male career firefighter diagnosed by tilt 6 months ago with NCS with a cardio inhibitory component. Dealing with the symptoms my whole life but were attributed to family history of blood glucose issues until recent downward spiral lead to a holter monitor, an event monitor, an interstitial BG monitor, more bloodwork that anyone should have in six months, and ended with a 30 minute tilt test which ended with twenty seconds of asystole following syncope. Treatment since includes salt tabs, added Pindolol, added Midodrine (terrible side effects), changed to Florinef, doses of both double since prescribed. Sent to Hopkins EP by diagnosing EP as symptoms continue to persist regardless of her treatments and was told that because I am only near syncopal all day and do not actually pass out, I don't really have NCS. Treatment prescribed is elevation of head of bed four inches and tilt training (stand against wall twenty minutes, three times daily). Original diagnosing EP who sent me to Hopkins gave up on me and offers no further treatment options. Family doc can only do so much as thus is generally out of his league...feeling as if there's no where to turn for answers and no hope if a cure. I have lost my passion for life and feel like people believe this is all in my head and I know it is not.

Symptoms include but are not limited to foggy head, inability to focus, dizziness, tunnel vision, muscle cramping/soreness, headaches, fatigue, hypotension, bradycardia,nearly constant near/presyncopal episodes daily, and now depression.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Cardio inhibitory Neurocardiogenic syncope without syncope

Dear nowkia, I have been having weird nervous system "buzzing" which has gone from feet & hands to chest, heart, back of head to brain with slight hypertension & seeing cardio next week. Would you mind explaining what NCS & EP are? I think then i may understand more. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
(female)

Nowkwia HB User

NCS is Neuro Cardiogenic Syncope - simple terms: passing out caused by stimulation of the vagus nerve.

EP is Electrophysiologist - simple terms: the type of cardiologist who deals with the electrical system of the heart and how the nerves interact with the cardiac muscle.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowkwia View Post
NCS is Neuro Cardiogenic Syncope - simple terms: passing out caused by stimulation of the vagus nerve.

EP is Electrophysiologist - simple terms: the type of cardiologist who deals with the electrical system of the heart and how the nerves interact with the cardiac muscle.
Thanks nowkwia, So if i think my CNS is definitely affecting the electrical conductivity in my heart, i.e. pvc's, tachycardia etc from CNS,then exactly what would i call this cardiologist simply electrophysiological cardiologist or electrophysiocardiologist?

Last edited by gmak; 01-26-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo

Old 03-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
(female)

Ebrick HB User

Hi there, i had to sign up when i saw this post. I am a 25 year old female, mother of two, hairstylist. Two months ago i was at work and had my first fainting experience. Since then I have had very similar symptoms but have only lost consciousness that first time and for my tilt test. I have had every other heart test come back negative. The doctor diagnosed it as cardioinhibitory syncope ( since my heart rate drops first- inappropriate autonomic response) He suggested that the abrupt onset may indicate exposure to a toxin or virus. Although he is hopeful it will eventually go away as abruptly as it came on, i am not that hopeful.I have a low resting heart rate and low blood pressure to begin with so he will not be able to utilize his typical medications of choice. He mentioned Zoloft as a treatment to try to fix the sympathetic/parasympathetic response. I am willing to try it, but in the mean time I am extremely anxious and am having a difficult time finding others in the same position. Has anyone suggested an SSRI to you?

Closed Thread

Tags
cardio, neurocardiogenic syncope