It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User
Anyone familiar with Xanax?

I saw my doc today- had blood work done for all sorts of symptoms I was having.. my blood work came back normal. I told him how my legs cramp up at night, with spasms and twitching and sometimes they just cramp severely to where I am in tears because it hurts so much. I drink a lot of water, eat bananas, take supplements etc... I even massage them before bed. So he prescribed me xanax. Only .5 mg. WHICH SEEMS LIKE NOTHING! I am scared to go to bed, I hate these muscle cramps! I also clench my teeth pretty bad, I have TMJ issues now because of it- even though I wear a mouth guard. So I guess it's a case of anxiety... I have even seen black figures out of the corner of my eye at times and I jump. So I know that is not real. It's crazy.

Anyways, what was your experience on Xanax and most importantly DID YOU SLEEP WELL? No muscle spasms? I need a good nights sleep! At .5 mg I am a little skeptical that will do anything for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Re: Anyone familiar with Xanax?

Really NO ONE has any advice on Xanax? Or how it was taking it??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
(male)

hildygirl14 HB User

Xanac is for aniexty , so it should relax you so your legs can relax .. I took for 3 yrs . did wonders for me coping with chronic pain

Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
(male)

hildygirl14 HB User

oh and did sleep good .. also will help your TMJ but you might need a applaince that fits over your bottom teeth to relax your jaw... Xanac at 5 mg is very very mild

Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

it's actually .5 mg so not even a whole mg. i am going to take two tonight so it will be 1 mg. my doctor told me i could if i needed to because so far .5 is doing NOTHING.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

I would try NOT taking any supplements for a month and see if your leg cramps get better or go away. Sometimes an imbalance in supplements can actually cause these type of problems, as sometimes too much of one supplement can block absorption of another supplement. Especially with calcium and magnesium it is a very delicate balance. Of course, continue to eat healthy fruits, vegetables, etc. In addition, Xanax can work great initially, but Xanax can be very addictive, and one can have terrible anxiety withdrawing from them. I think it is best only to take Xanax only in an extreme emergency. They are very habit forming.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Well I didn't take a Xanax last night and I ended up clenching pretty bad because now my jaw is extremely sore and my ears are plugged-- which is from TMJD. Ugh.
It's a constant battle. I even took melatonin to see if that would help relax me, as I used to take it and I guess it didn't.
So the xanax helps with bruxism. I didn't have any leg cramps though and I did take 3 supplements throughout the day of magneisum/calcium/zinc. I also drank Tonic water.
Today I only took that vitamin twice. Spread it out. I wasn't taking them like this when the leg cramps were severe.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
(female)

Char817 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolyn View Post
Really NO ONE has any advice on Xanax? Or how it was taking it??
Ive taken Xanax at different times in my life. I have had no anxiety for 10 years (the last time I took Xanax), but just started having anxiety again, i think linked to menopause, so I recently started taking it again .25 mg twice a day as needed. There is another medication called Ativan that you might want to try first. It's a bit milder than Xanax. My thoughts on these anti-anxiety medications are Hey if my husband takes medication for high cholesterol, I can take medication for anxiety!! What's the difference?? It's just the stigma that's attached to anxiety/depression. There are biological/physiological reasons sometimes and these need to be treated. Relax, feel better, you will be ok., don't feel guilty about taking medication. We have to do what we have to do sometimes!!!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

I don't feel guilty. Especially after last night, I didn't take it and I woke up with MAJOR jaw pain which means I was clenching a lot last night. So I am definitely taking it tonight and I will take a Flexeril with it. 10 mg of that with .5 mg of Xanax. I read that it's ok, but there were some moderate interactions which were being very drowsy, which is what I want of course. Lol. I would never take Xanax during the day...I don't think I could. But .5 mg hasn't been doing a lot with me as far as being drowsy. I do get relaxed but I think I got used to that dose. I may go up to 1 mg tomorrow night. My doc told me it was ok.
I am also taking wellbutrin during the daytime. Not sure if I will stay on it. I'm not seeing any results so far. It's only been 5 days though. I hate taking so many pills, but the vitamins I need. Right now I can't really eat anything but super soft food because of my TMJ. I can't open my mouth that much. Brushing my teeth is BRUTAL. I am trying to relax my jaw during the day but it's so hard at times.

Thanks for all the comments!

Closed Thread