It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
(female)

marip1 HB User
Left arm numb and tingling

I woke up this morning and my left arm was tingling and numb. I was laying flat on my back. What would cause this?

Old 03-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

dv8er HB User
Re: Left arm numb and tingling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marip1 View Post
I woke up this morning and my left arm was tingling and numb. I was laying flat on my back. What would cause this?
Brachial plexus / thoracic outlet / disc herniation (c-spine [cervical] area) Check em out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
(female)

marip1 HB User

Thanks. Past couple of weeks I've had dizziness, headaches and neck pain. Couple years ago I injured my neck. I had a neck xray and it showed narrowing between disks C4-C5 with no stenosis. I'm going to see a Neurologist hopefully soon if I can see one. There all pretty booked up with appointments. I'm hoping it is a neck issue and not a tumor.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

dv8er HB User

my personal opinion, totally sounds like a c-spine injury. especially given the location of the herniations/bulges. the c4, c5, c6 areas are right around those nerves that shoot down your arms, make your thumbs go numb, and twitch a little bit! so annoying, right? x-rays are worthless, IMO, see if you can get an MRI. they are much more comprehensive. if they (your docs) recommend an epidural, do it if you trust the doctor. they work wonders!! good luck!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
(male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

I totally agree with "dv8er".... I would see if you can get into your primary doctor & tell him your symptoms. Also as you are there ask him to send you to get a MRI. That way as you are waiting to see your neuro you will have the CD & reports ready for him to read.
I have done this both ways & believe me you will save yourself about a month on wait times of getting a diagnoses from the neuro.
Best of luck there too.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
(female)

marip1 HB User

Should I have my doctor order an MRI on the head and one for the neck? Or can you take one MRI that does both? Not too familiar with MRI's.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
(male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

Usually the doctor will just order one for the cervical area..... For the brain & thoracic area you can ask for it. But with your history of the neck area he/she will probably go with just the cervical area. Up to you more than anything. wouldn't hurt to ask.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
(female)

marip1 HB User

I had gone to my family doctor about 5 days after all this started. She thought I had an inner ear virus or a pinched nerve in the neck. Would an inner ear virus though cause neck pain? I'm still having intermittent neck pain and headaches. This is my 14th day of intermittent pain in my forehead. Can my neck spine cause an everyday headache?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

dv8er HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marip1 View Post
Should I have my doctor order an MRI on the head and one for the neck? Or can you take one MRI that does both? Not too familiar with MRI's.
roadiez is right on! try and get as much done in one visit, as doc offices, of course, are busy and, unfortunately, we often become just another chart. every time you get scans, x-rays, CT, MRI, be sure to ask them for a copy of the report, so you have one on standby. also, depending on the doctor (older vs younger), some prefer looking at the slides, some like viewing the images on a CD, some just want the report. find out what your doc likes.

regarding where the scans focus, a simple cervical (MRI) will tell a lot. the brachial plexus mri is either on the right or left side. these images are considered "new art," so not many doctors know how to read them. anyway, the report will either be positive or negative, but just because it doesn't show up on the slides doesn't mean you don't have it. other tests can be done, such as an EMG, etc.

have you considered carpal tunnel? sounds silly, but just throwing that out as a potential differential dx.

@marip1
again, i'm not an expert, but i would think it's safe to assume that an injury to the inner or outer (pinna) ear could contribute to head/neck pain. this may sound unpleasant, but perhaps a small bug entered your ear, you got water in your ear, went to far with a Q-tip, etc. could be any number of things. on a scale of 1-10, 1 being it's there and i can feel it, to 10 being, i might just jump off a building because i'm in so much pain. where do you think you are? if above a 6-7, i'd check out an emergency clinic, ER, or something. persistent headaches aren't good. listen to your body.

good luck!!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
(female)

marip1 HB User

Thanks everyone for your posts. I'll repost when I get my results.

The following user gives a hug of support to marip1:
dv8er (03-24-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
(female)

marip1 HB User

Update: I went to a neurologist and he thinks I'm having migraines. I'm going for a head MRI. He doesn't think my neck is the cause. I'm still having intermittent neck pains though. He looked at my neck xray results from a couple years ago and says narrowing is normal as you age. Should I see a neurosurgeon for my neck?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
(male)

I would wait until you have your head/brain mri. Because the neck is partially shown with the mri of the brain. Make sure when you have a CD made before you leave.... Many places will give it to you for no charge at the time of the test. But they will charge you for the same the second you leave & ask later. Best of luck there. Keep us updated.

Closed Thread