It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2003, 01:38 PM   #1

Delta HB User
brain tumors

Would yo uknow if you had a brain tumor? Like would yo have the worst headache ever, or could it be very mild, what are some symptoms that someone should watch for?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: brain tumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta
Would yo uknow if you had a brain tumor? Like would yo have the worst headache ever, or could it be very mild, what are some symptoms that someone should watch for?
There are a number of different symptoms, but yes, headache is one of them (in adults, it's usually a headache at the front of the head (as most tumours in adults are anterior). You can also get things like blurry or double vision, nausea, vomiting, urinary retention, confusion, loss of balance.....you can also have focal neurological deficits based on where the tumour is located...this includes things like: unilateral weakness, unilateral numbness, problems speaking, problems recognizing obejcts...etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2003, 04:19 PM   #3

Delta HB User

are the headahes always very bad?

Old 12-20-2003, 04:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Quote:
are the headahes always very bad?
Yeah....usually they are, and they are unrelenting.....they are usually not sudden onset.

Sudden onset "worst headache of your life", are usually indicative of subarachnoid bleeds.

Old 12-20-2003, 05:04 PM   #5

Delta HB User

so basically, if i had a brain tumor i would be in some kind of bain and know that i had it.

Old 12-23-2003, 12:50 PM   #6

ninjacpa HB User

Quote:
so basically, if i had a brain tumor i would be in some kind of bain and know that i had it.
Absolutely not, and I cannot stress this enough!

I never had headaches or any pain when I suddenly had a seizure at 10:30 AM, on a Wednesday this past summer, and found out from a CT scan that I had a brain tumor.

The manifestation of brain tumors depends totally on where they are located. Any headaches or other problems you are having could be caused by dozens of things.

See you doctor, and get referred to a neurologist.

Old 12-26-2003, 09:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Whoa...good point ninjacpa...I totally forgot about seizures being the presenting symptom of a brain tumour.

I agree with ninjacpa that you can have no symptoms (especially pain) if you have a brain tumour, though it is important to note that, of all the presenting complaints of people with brain tumours, headaches, nausea & vomiting, and seizures are the most common.

Old 01-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #8

needhlpz HB User

Hello All

I went for an MRI for Low Testostrenoe, My Pituatry came normal. But they said they noted Benigne spot in the brain (Guess near spinal).

Mr Dr says Its benigne finding and Radiologist asked to do one more MRI after 6 months just to check thats not a problem.

What does Dr mean by benigne finding ? I am really stressed out I have High BP and I am 32 yrs old

Pls provide your advice

Regards

Need Help

Old 01-05-2004, 06:53 PM   #9

tdrusso HB User

I went for a MRI and it came back with an inflammation with no evidence of a tumor. I currently have a metallic taste in my mouth. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic. Anyone experience these symptoms?

Old 01-09-2004, 07:10 PM   #10

SoulBrotha HB User

man ive been paranoid about haing a brain tumor for the longest time. I know im going through some depression/ anxiety/ paranoia, and everyone has told me that i don't have a brain tumor. I don't have any of the symptoms really, i mean i will get occasional pain in my head but no serious head aches, no loss of speech or movement, no blurred vision ( although i have been experiencing visual distrubances, like seeing the after image when i look at the tv and look away etc) no real dizziness or seizures. But for some reason the idea of a Brain Tumor scares the hell outta me.

peace

Old 01-10-2004, 10:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

Actually, with brain tumors headaches are usually NOT the first symptom. Headaches only occur when the tumor is big enough to cause the brain to press on nerves outside the brain (as the brain itself feels no pain). Usually by the time the tumor is big enough to do this other symptoms will have presented.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:12 PM   #12

Kim57 HB User

I thought i'd just put some info to this. My sister was diagnosed with a brain tumor this past October and had it removed in November... and is getting along fantastic.
Her tumor was at the top and right of the brain, between it and her scull. It was very large..about the size of a tangerine. She began noticing that she was loosing her balance quite often and was loosing strength in her left foot and left arm and hand. THe docs said she may have been born with this and it just got worse as she got older..(she's 43). They're suprised that she hadn't had any siezures with this.
Depending on the location and size depends on the sypmtoms one may have. Most brain tumors are benign..meaning not cancerous. Still, it is a scary ordeal to go through. We are very thankful she recognized that she was having problems and were able to take care of this early.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:10 AM   #13

Egleone6 HB User

I hear ya Soul Brotha.

About 3 weeks ago, i had an slight case of allergic pink eye. I took some medication that was given to my one year old girl and had asked if I was able to take it since I have the infection as well. They said "Yes" it is common presription for pink eye. Took that and noticed that the next day had a huge headache. Took med and felt a little better. Had aches in head for about 4 days and then went to Eye doctor and had them look at my eyes thinking it was a precript prob with my glasses. Then still had headaches with the med they gave me as a steril for my eye. Pain seemed to go away. (Let me remind you) The pain of the headaches on a scale from 1-10 are/were a 4-5 maybe even less sometimes on the top portion of my scalp and by the ears. I too have thought nothing about it till i typed constant headaches and came up with tension headaches and Brain Tumor. I have since seen the dr.and he says there is nothing major going on with me and all I have is tension headaches or a slight migraine.

This is still not calmed my nerves. I have read all the symtoms of a tumor and the only one that I can think that is applicable to me is the Headaches in the morning. I think this is from the tension that I have built up thriugh the day and when I sleep. I start having the headaches around 30 to 45 minutes after awaking.

If someone has something to say or comment please do so.

Matt

Old 01-29-2004, 01:42 PM   #14

Goofettemum HB User

Don't be afraid.

I am now 69 yr old and I always worried about having a brain tumor because my mother died at 42 with a brain tumor, and I was only 17 yrs old. For years, I had horrible headaches and just knew for sure I, too, had a brain tumor. But that's been 50 years ago and I've never had a brain tumor and all that worry was for nothing and only caused anxiety and panic. Do have the necessary tests and set your mind at rest. I'd bet you don't have a brain tumor. (wink) I do have an inner ear disorder called Meniere's that causes dizziness, but that was caused by a gas explosion.

Be blessed,

Bobbi

Old 02-11-2004, 10:06 PM   #15

samuri5 HB User
Smile Re: brain tumors

Quote:
I was diagnosed with a brain tumor 3 years ago. I had no symptoms such as headaches or others that are "common knowledge". What I DID have was a seizure in my sleep that woke my wife up. I have no memory of the event, but a half dozen emergency responders showed up at our house (sirens blaring). When the paramedic tried to get my vitals, my wife tells me I started fighting them. At one point there was a dogpile on our bed with me at the bottom. Again, I have no recollection of this.

A couple MRI's later I learned I was the proud papa of a brain tumor in my frontal lobe. A craniotomy later, it was ID'd as an oligodendroglioma. After the surgery was about 4 months of radiation and 9 months of chemo. I've been cancer free ever since (owing everything to the fine pros at UCLA!).

I've done great deal of reading on brain tumors, and found that there are no definite, absolute tell-tale symptoms. They can range from headaches to seizures to irritability to blurriness to losing physical coordination, amongst many, many others. I noticed nothing beyond the initial seizure (which was while I was sleeping!).

If you have any fears or "feelings" about a tumor, get it checked out. Sometimes our bodies have other "ways" of warning us. You can learn a lot from an MRI. Don't ignore what you think might be warning signs. Find a doctor you trust and tell him/her everything. Keep a journal of what you think are "events," and give all the details you can (including times, length, activities prior, food recently eaten, etc.).

(I'm hoping you're fine, though! I'll put $$ on it in your favor!)

Good luck!

Last edited by samuri5; 02-11-2004 at 10:17 PM. Reason: clarity

Closed Thread