It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 02:20 PM   #1

SHAYSER HB User
Would a ct scan show a brain tumor?

I had a ct scan around a month ago it came back normal, but my eyes still hurt and i still get head aches once in a while i woke up today and my eye was red and swollen underneath the eyelid> near the eye socket, any advise and does anyone know if a ct scan show a brain tumor??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 04:09 PM   #2

Shannan72 HB User
Re: Would a ct scan show a brain tumor?

Yes, a CT scan would show that there was some sort of abnormality if there was one. However, an MRI would be a much better thing to have done to clarify any abnormalities that might be within your brain. I'm no doctor, but I've had my share of CT scans and MRIs done within the past 1.5 years. In July 2003, I started having major visual disturbances (that I later found out were seizures) and I checked myself into the ER after a week of having these disturbances and getting lost on the way home from the grocery store. After a CT scan, I was told that I had a brain tumor. An MRI confirmed this as well as gave the doctors an idea of what grade the tumor was considered. Fortunately, mine is a low-grade glioma; therefore, not malignant. I had brain surgery in August 2003 to remove as much of the tumor as possible to lessen the chances that it will come back malignant. I still have seizures and am on medication for that. Other than that, I'm fine and I enjoy life to its fullest. My advice to you is if you're that scared that it could be a tumor, have your doctor refer you in to have an MRI done. I hope this helps. The best thing to do in all cases is to not live in fear that something is wrong with you. A positive attitude goes a long way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 04:20 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

Well I have a pituitary tumor and these almost never show up on CT scans. You need a closed MRI with contrast.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

P.S. The pituitary is located right behind the nose and often causes headaches, and if its big enough, visual disturbances.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:18 AM   #5

SHAYSER HB User

thanks everyone, border girl i also had a ct scan of my sinus they said that would have picked up on it is that right? they said one of the ct scan would of?

Old 10-19-2004, 07:37 AM   #6

SHAYSER HB User

sorry i just called my doc , he said he would have showed up either on my vision test or the ct scan what do you think? my vision is'nt that bad , just sometimes my eyes ache a little

Old 10-20-2004, 10:12 AM   #7

SHAYSER HB User

is anyone out there positive that a ct scan would show a brain tumor?

Old 10-20-2004, 02:14 PM   #8

SHAYSER HB User

anyone know for sure

Old 10-20-2004, 03:22 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lillypad HB User

Sounds like you are worried. Ct scans and MRIs are designed to show many things including brain tumors. Do you have some reason to not believe your doctor?

Old 10-21-2004, 03:51 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

Well I can't say for sure about the sinus CT. But all I've ever heard is that pit tumors are very hard to pick up even with the MRI/contrast.
As far as the vision test, that will only pick it up if the tumor is over 1cm and is pressing on the optic nerve. You'd really want to catch it before that.

Closed Thread