It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2003, 12:02 AM   #1

jackets333 HB User
Question muscle twitches...brain tumor?

For the past few months I've had muscle twitches on and off in what seems like all parts of my body. The twitches don't usually last very long and they seem to be worse after doing a lot of physical activity. The thing that worries me is that it's not a localized twitch and the fact that they haven't gone away really worries me.

I don't wanna think this is a brain tumor, but that's all that's on my mind lately. I probably need to go to a doctor but I guess i'm just stubborn.

I also experience an occasional tingling feeling in my hands and feet and I have a shaking feeling sometimes at night when i lay down.

Please help.

Old 07-25-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

jboon HB User
Don't be too worried or jump to conclusions. Odds are you have a pinched nerve or something like that in your neck. Spasms, etc. can cause twitching, tingling, and numbness. I'd go to your doctor to get whatever the problem is taken care of. Good luck, and relax!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2003, 05:00 PM   #3
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Brain tumours will usually give you localized symptoms--not symptoms like you describe where you're having twitching all over your body. The symptoms I'm talking about can include weakness on one side of the body, inability to close one of the eyes, inability to move your tongue a certain way, trouble speaking, trouble recognizing faces etc.

This can also be accompanied by headaches (usually in the front of the head with adults), nausea, vomiting, loss of balance, trouble swallowing.

Twitching or "fasciculations" as they're called are not characteristic of brain and spinal cord lesions. They can happen in a normal person, but IF they are abnormal, usually it means that the problem is originating in a "lower motor neuron"...i.e. a motor neuron that EXITS from the spinal cord.

Old 10-02-2003, 11:56 AM   #4
Mara

Twitches can be brought on by physical activity.

Old 10-10-2003, 10:35 AM   #5

CKG5969 HB User
Angry

Hi, I am a 26 year old female, your symptoms sound so much like mine. Except mine started about 3 years ago with this twitching in my right hand between my thumb and forefinger. At first they didnt hurt, but slowly they kept on getting worse and now they are like charlie horses up my arms and hands. I alos keep having these shart twitching pains in my head. Scary. I have had an MRI done and they said it was normal, I dont know what is normal about what we are experienceing here. People just dont twitch for no reason. I also rock backward and foreward on my own sometimes. The good thing is my MRI came back ok, so no tumor. I am going to go to the Rheumatologist here in the next few days and see if they can help. I will let you know something when I find out.
Your friend
Celina

Old 10-10-2003, 10:36 AM   #6

CKG5969 HB User
Angry

Hi, I am a 26 year old female, your symptoms sound so much like mine. Except mine started about 3 years ago with this twitching in my right hand between my thumb and forefinger. At first they didnt hurt, but slowly they kept on getting worse and now they are like charlie horses up my arms and hands. I alos keep having these shart twitching pains in my head. Scary. I have had an MRI done and they said it was normal, I dont know what is normal about what we are experienceing here. People just dont twitch for no reason. I also rock backward and foreward on my own sometimes. The good thing is my MRI came back ok, so no tumor. I am going to go to the Rheumatologist here in the next few days and see if they can help. I will let you know something when I find out.
Your friend
Celina

Old 10-13-2003, 09:54 AM   #7

Joe210 HB User
Question

Hello,

I wanted to ask about something that had been bothering me lately.

I have posted on the heart board alot with various things I have been going through and the doctors still don't know. I have had twitching for a month or more now and it is usally in my left elbow, near my kness, stomach, chest and leg. It can be in other places though. Sometimes they are bad and the other day my left elbow hurt bad and it started twitching so I moves it around and it quit... then it would do it again a few seconds later. It did it 5 or 6 times before it stopped for a little while. I get odd pains in my head like in the front or back... sometimes my head is tender to the touch and is sore. My jaw hurts at times and my neck is always stiff. I get tingling in my head all the time and my hands get pins and needles in them alot. The other day I was sitting and on the right side on my head near the temple it felt like something was sucking in on my skin or someone was pushing me with their finger. It scared me and I thought brain tumor right away... I also get these random sharp pains that last a few seconds to a few minutes... along with ringing in my ears alot.

This has really bothered me... I am going to so many other doctors at the moment that a nurologist is out of the question for now.

[This message has been edited by Joe210 (edited 10-13-2003).]

Old 10-14-2003, 06:37 PM   #8

sim63 HB User
Joe and others,

I have many of the same symptoms you do. I have been to all the Dr.s, and had all the tests. I was diagnosed with BFS (Benign Fasiculation Syndrome) If you do a search you can find some good info about it. Many people suffer from it and symptoms can vary. Twitching, tingling, aches, pains, cramps etc. all BENIGN! There are many theories as to it's cause, but many attribute anxiety as a big trigger. It's amazing what your mind can do to your body. Once I accepted my condition as benign, the symptoms became much more tolerable, until they almost disappeared.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by sim63 (edited 10-14-2003).]

Closed Thread