It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
(male)

chickenx5 HB User
Do many people live from a brain tumor?

what percent of people live that are going into surgery to remove a brain tumor?

Old 03-29-2005, 03:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Arraicha HB User
Re: Do many people live from a brain tumor?

Well, it depends on the type of tumor. If the tumor is close to the surface and is very located, the surgery goes pretty well. And if the tumor seems to be spread throughout the brain, they don't usually operate.

I don't have any statistics, but from what I've heard in school and from people who have had brain tumors, few people die from the surgery, however, many of them die later on from the complications of the brain tumor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

Is this a cancerous (malignant) brain tumor, or something benign? With a cancerous tumor, location, grade level (they go from grade 1 to 4, 4 being the worst meaning you will die soon), response to follow up treatment whether it be chemo or radiation or both. With a benign tumor, complications from surgery and the location probably determine odds of survival. Anyone can die from any type of surgery whether it be from infection, a reaction to anesthesia, or damage to the brain from the procedure itself. Also, if it is cancer, whether the cancer has spread to other parts of the body will be a huge factor when determining survival. It really does vary based on the details of the situation. Do you know any more about this?

Old 03-29-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I hope you aren't worried about YOU (going by your other post...) I go through this brain tumor worry on and off, it's awful! Did you ever do any self brain tumor tests? I'll stand in the living room doing "brain tumor" tests while my daughter just looks at me and rolls her eyes! LOL! But after I do it and see I "pass" them, I'm fine... if you'd like to know a few, let me know!

Old 03-29-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

Hey, lol, if you all are worried about having cancer--Ive had it , its not so bad!

Just a joke, though I did have cancer at 15. I do hope you dont stress too horribly, sunlover. Even if you DO get a tumor, at the very least enjoy the time you have before it! Stressing is no fun. I could get cancer again. I know what it is like to feel like a "ticking time-bomb" but in a sense, we all are. I could also die tomorrow in an accident. Ever since I quit having my 3 cat-scans a year (follow-up for my cancer that went on for 5 years) I worry about what the heck is going on in me.

Every once in a while I see someone stressing and I just want them to feel better. So usually I just say "look, Im glad I got cancer. It makes me happy to be here". If I find out im going to die soon, I am going to have such a good time before I go! And Im kissing my daughters about a million times.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:15 PM   #6
(male)

chickenx5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlover
I hope you aren't worried about YOU (going by your other post...) I go through this brain tumor worry on and off, it's awful! Did you ever do any self brain tumor tests? I'll stand in the living room doing "brain tumor" tests while my daughter just looks at me and rolls her eyes! LOL! But after I do it and see I "pass" them, I'm fine... if you'd like to know a few, let me know!
yes, please i would liek to know some

Old 03-30-2005, 02:15 AM   #7
(female)

pheobe13 HB User

My ex boyfriend has a brain tumour and is doing fine.
They didn't discover it for ages until he had an epileptic fit, so it was quite big by then.
They couldn't remove the whole thing, I think it was kind of like a spider.
But that was years ago and he is a really very happy person now.
He does have mini-seizures which obviously aren't nice, but he has survived and appreciates being alive so much more. I would say he is a lot happier than most of us.
I get paranoid myself about getting a brain tumour but I have seen that it is not neccessarily a death sentence. I hope that this helps give you hope.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

OK, one test is you stand with feet together, arms at sides, close your eyes and tilt your head back a little bit - with a tumor you will literally fall (so make sure if you DO fall there's nothing that an hurt you there!), the other one is stand with your arms out to your sides (make your body in a cross in other words) and bring the forefinger of your right hand to the tip of your nose, then the left hand and keep doing it for several times - it's bad if you CAN'T do it (and I don't mean you touch a quarter inch on the nostril, I mean you'd bring your hand there and you'd slam your forehead or something!) The other is do the "drunk" test - walk on a line (in the kitchen maybe on the lines made by tiles (if you have them that is) - now that first one and that last one IF failed could mean inner ear problems - it doesn't MEAN a brain tumor - but if all three are fine, I usually totally forget about it. (being that you are dizzy and are worrying about it, those tests would be failed.) When I was real dizzy I was still able to do that first one (the "drunk" test was a little harder because I do have some ear issues)

Old 03-30-2005, 05:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

AprilPow HB User

My FIL had a tumor. HE complained of headaches constantly. Finally went to the docs, he had a tumor (not cancerous) but it ate away about a third of his brain. So they removed the rest of the third put a permanent drain in.

He was fine afterwards. Memory was a little "loose" but other than that- fine.

Closed Thread