It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
(female)

TheMamaLisa HB User
Brain tumors, hereditary?

I asked my Dr about this and was told that brain tumors arent hereditary. Wel they sure seem to be in my family. My great gma died from one, both my gma and her sister have one and now my mom has been diagnosed with one as well. Has anyone heard of brain tumors running in families? Thanks!

Old 06-22-2006, 05:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Brain tumors, hereditary?

You really need to find out just what exactly the types of tumors were.was this cancer,definitely,or some other type of 'lesions".there are many conditions/diseases that can run in familys due to certain circumstances and predisposition to certain problems within the DNA or genetic make up.to say that tumors are not inherited really is rather vague.there are just sooo many possible types of tumors and or conditions that present with some sort of a tumor 'like' symptom.not always a 'cancerous' type of tumor.do you know what I am trying to say?

you really DO need to find out alot more about your family memebers tumors and jsut exactly what type of tumor they consisted of,this would tell you much much more definitively what they really did have.please let me know what you find out.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
(female)

Auriebeth HB User

Hi there.. I see that this thread is about a month old.. and hopefully you
will see this.. I just joined this board and posted on the fibro site.. I decided to check out this forum, since in the back of my mind I always worry about
brain tumors.. and since they did see some leisions in the MRI , still not sure what the cause is... I worry .. You see, both my parents died of brain tumors, I have asked the question about hereditary to many of doctors, ofcourse, I know that my parents werent blood related.. , but
it still was a concern for me... However, enviromental was more of the
answer that I recieved from these doctors.. They had said that the chances of both parents dying from the same exact brain tumor, astrocytomagleoma (sp) was 1, and 10 mil...If this is true... it is a very difficult thing to prove, exactly where they may have encountered something that caused a brain tumor... My father being in the military and stationed in various parts of
the country surly make it a difficult task.. something we will never know if in fact thier cancer was caused by something in the enviroment.. Did all your family members live in the same town, or fairly close.. or work for the company, ect.. Anyway.. something for you to consider.. I hope I was able
to help...
AB

Old 07-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
(female)

fallenleaf HB User

I've thought the same thing because I was reading about this lady's blog who has a brain tumor (I found it on google by typing living with a brain tumor) and her parents both had brain tumors.

They were 3 different types but isn't the odds of getting a brain tumor really high anyway? I think it could be enviormental but what would cause it I don't know. Three people in one family is too big of a coincidence I think.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
(female)

TheMamaLisa HB User

I find it very strange that four female blood relatives have had brain tumors. I am not real sure about it being environmental. It is possible but my relatives are being affected from different generations and they did live in seperate households and different cities. Not sure. I guess nobody is.......

Closed Thread