It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User
i swear i have a brain tumor and the doc are wrong!

i am light headed all day long constantly i havent felt right for awile i get slight headed aches its been like 2 months ive had all kinds of tests including heart tests i had a head ct and an eeg all normal but i still feel this i was touching my hair and i found a small pea sized bump under my skin!i dont know what it is if it was a tumor wouldnt they have seen it on ct i also had a ct in november i got hit it the forhead with a bottle but i didnt have any bleeding it was okthe bump is in an are they should seen it if it was a tumor could it be a cyst? help me they wont do a dam mri on me they dont think its needed i dont know what to do

Old 06-25-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: i swear i have a brain tumor and the doc are wrong!

I think its time to change docs.with your types of ongoing symptoms any real doc would have sent you by now for the MRI just to try and rule out possibilities if nothing else.a CT is just woefully inadequate in looking for the types of things that could be possibly causing your symptoms.it could be any number of possibilities here that would only show up with an MRI with contrast or MRA which takes a look only at the arterial structures of the brain and nothing else.but for your particular situation and symptoms,any head/brain MRI with contrast dye,would be the best way to go here,really.

this would possibly show any real vascular problems or malformations such as an aneurysm or AVM or a whole list of other possibilties.(these types of things would show up best WITH contrast dye thats why it IS most definitely needed)but your doc should be sending you for this by now.if he hasn't he sounds like a doc who really does not have his patients best interest at heart really so you do need to move onto a doc who will take all of your ongoing symptoms much more seriously and would be willing to actually find the reason or reasons for them.geez,this is pretty basic stuff and this is what any doc is actully SUPPOSED to do for any given patient.

when you cannot find answers for your patients problems, well thats what these types of tests are for,to help the doc try and Dx your medical problems.you do deserve much better treatment than this.

regarding that 'bump'?when you got hit by that bottle,did it break at all?just wondering as sometimes when glass is involved and becomes imbedded into the skin somewhere,the bodys natural reaction is to try and get rid of it.so it will work up a little pus pocket that will eventually,given the pressure that builds up in it,get that glass upto the surface of the skin where it will
just all of the sudden appear one day like out of no where.

i had a car accident many years ago where I hit my head on the windshield and shattered part of it and ended up with tons of tiny bits of glass in my forhead and scalp.for YEARS after this every once in a while i would get one of those little bumps(or sometimes not)but it would result in a tiny piece of glass just appearing suddenly.like i mentioned,this did happen for like even four years after that accident.so if this did occur this could be why you have that litle bump.

if that was not the case,what you have there could just be one of those little flukey types of skin things that can just pop in from time to time for no apparent reason.or it could be like a boil or any number of skin type related issues.just keep an eye on it for any changes and mention to your brand new doc that you are going to go looking for.this really IS the best thing to do here considering that your current doc is really doing nothing for you at all right now except causing you some anxiety and stress that you really just don't need in your life.start looking tomorrow for a new doc that is not affiliated with the clinic or office that you are currnetly ator you wont get much better treatment than you are now as one doc at the same clinic as another generally wont go against what one doc has already stated about a patient,you know whatI mean?

i myself have moved onto so many different docs thru the years that I felt were not adressing my conditions appropriately or were not really impressing me a whole lot with their overall bedside manner or the lack of knowledge of my medical conditions.so dont be afraid of doing this to your doc,always remember,any doc that you go to see,actually works for YOU and not the other way around,K?

good luck and please keep me posted on what you find out,K? Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 06-25-2006 at 06:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2006, 07:19 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User

Nikigirl-

I just went through all this about a month ago. my lightheaded started and i put up with it for a week then had to do something about it. i went to different drs also. most drs will say everything little thing is caused from anxiety. my dr didnt and i was glad because i KNEW something wasnt right. i then went to an ER because it was so bad and scary they did all kinds of testing and a CT which will show you if anything is wrong. CTs are just as good as an MRI. the only difference is mri show deeper into the brain. a tumor would be nonstop headache pain, vomiting, seizures and most people have headaches that wake them up and then the headache dulls during the day. BUT theres alot of people out there that have a tumor and NEVER had a headache or any other symptom. i thought i had one too. but i have had headaches since i was 13. but a ct scan will not pick a tiny tumor but being that i have had headaches for that many years (now im 28) the tumor would be huge and it would of shown up on my CT. A CT also shows any fluid and bleeding on the brain. bleeding can be caused by AVMS or anerysms (bad spelling on that word) so if theres no fluid or no bleeding on your brain than be assured you are ok. i think your dr is right about a unecessary mri BUT if you have insurance then go elsewhere to have one just for peace of mind.

i was diagnosed with an inner ear disorder which now makes perfect sense. 80% of all dizziness/lightheadedness is caused by inner ear..especially with sinus trouble. Mine lasted for 3 weeks then went away for a couple days. i do alot of scrapbooking and the other day i looked at a piece of striped paper and bam it hit me. it lasted another 2 days and now its gone. so in my opinion i would have a ct done of sinus and maybe see an Ear doctor. That CT scan would of picked up anything abnormal. If it would of then they would of had you do an MRI so they can see the problem closer. a ct scan cant pick up an inner ear problem. you need different testing for that. drs cannot see in there. i know its a scary thing to deal with. please keep in contact and let me know how you are. Try staying really really active this is what helped me alot.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User

niki i forgot to add

Did they do an electrolyte test on you? to see your potassium levels?

Were you tested for anemia?

Even a lack of vitamin can make you feel this way. theres so many causes of dizziness.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

i dont have anemia and my potassiam is ok not low enopugh to cause this///i am so fed up with this now iv e had all kids of blood work done and it was all normali mean now i found another hard bump on my scalp! i am freggin out a tumor would come through ur skull to ur scalp right>? and would cysts make me feel this way geez?question////i did have a ct head scan and an eeg if they missed a tumor on ct head scan wouldnt they have picked up abnormal brain waves on the eeg for a tumor? i had the basic neuro exam where the doc asks u to touch his fingers and ur nose etc i passed that....my mom has depression and anxiety so they just assume now thats what this is i think i have had pressure in my head like someone was pushing on myhead! i told the neuro that but before the second time i saw him i also saw a pychologist becasue i was desprate and didnt want to wait he gave me an anti deprssant that i have been on for two weeks also zanax as needed becasue of my heart racing and skiping with chest pains it helped chest pains i think and the pressure subsided alot from what it was after i took those pills so i thought i did have that but im still dam lightheaded and got the runs everyday i cant even go out now! i think its more that anxiety

Old 06-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

o and no the bottle didnt break on my head

Old 06-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
(female)

suzyisdizzy HB User

A brain tumor wouldn't show up on your scalp. You might have a cyst on your scalp, which is like a large pimple. You should show your doctor that so that they can remove it. My boyfriend's dad had a cyst on his head the size of an egg! They removed it with no problem. I have an inner ear discorder that causes a lot of the same symptoms as you have. You shouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is a brain tumor, it truly doesn't sound like it. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

well at least u dont think its one i have 2 cysts on my head 2! y would i have 2 what causes them they werent there before i woulve noticed them do u know whay people get them?

Old 06-25-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User

yeah suzy is right about the inner ear problem like i posted i have that as well...Hey suzy i just saw on another board about a "fizzing" sensation in head and then loss of balance. you ever expirienced that?

Niki-

This is where drs make me mad...you had a racing and skipping heart due to anxiety from the problems on your scalp..i dont know why drs turn it around and say anxiety is what was causing them when in all its the symptoms CAUSING the anxiety. my dr said ANXIETY/STRESS DOES NOOOOTTTTT cause dizziness...had to stress the word "not" because everyone with anxiety will shoot over to this board and say yes it does. i had a cyst like thing on my head about 2 years ago. i never got it checked at that point but it went away after a few months.

When you say you have pressure it your head...sinus trouble does this although you may not feel congested there may be some infection there which can be 100 percent cause of lightheadedness due to immflamation and pushing on your inner ear causing you off balance feeling. im assuming you feel off balance right? like car sick? feel like you just rode a rollercoaster that had 100 loops in it? when you go back to the dr just ask about a sinus CT Scan. especially if you have had a cold lately..Allergys are another huge cause of it too. im 29 never had allergies until this year. i was sick back in march and havent been right ever since then. im not "congested" but theres something blocking everything up there.
Your question about the eeg..im not sure because im not familiar with that kind of test. im really not sure about the drs "missing" a tumor. they know what they are looking for and actually brain tumors are considered pretty rare. although my aunt had one but she was sooooooo sick and they caught hers. so im sure your dr would of definitely seen something after all thats what they were looking for. like suzy said..sounds more like inner ear/sinus thing. ears take forever to get back to normal if they go out of whack. took me 3 weeks but if i look at anything patterened or striped i two stepping backwards lol

Old 06-25-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

i just found the cysts on my scalp and i didnt know they were there before i wasnt even worried about that until now,,,the docs dont even know that yet i have to call dermotogist tomorrow and see what they are....good lord would a cyst cause any of this from ur knowlege?its not so much dizzyness but lightheaded like everything wierd like im in a fog...becasue there not coming up with anything they are asuming its anxiety they did all those other test first like i said and found zilch o god now im bleeding! i hope this is from the birth control pills i started last week becasue i have a whole other problem down there i have an ovarian cyst that is benign supposedly but i ve had countless problems like utis for 3 yrs with no explantion i dont even think there utis i had a cystoscophy 3 yrs ago and they found nothing but i still have same problem i think its vaginal or somehting

Old 06-26-2006, 05:16 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just so you know,there is a huge difference in what can be picked up on when having a CT vs MRI,thats why they are both availiable.a ct cannot actually penetrate a structure(both hard and soft) like an mri can .a CT can pick up on new and old bleed really well tho,but as far as having a CT and saying that everything is all clear becaue the CT didn't actually show anything,well thats just in no possible way actually true.when I look at the actual CTs done on my head,everything is very vaugue and just seems to have gotten only the harder boney structures and would never have picked up my aneurysm unless it had actually have bled first.nothing actually inside of my head is really definitive at all,as it doesn't actually penetrate the brain.a CT uses only x ray so you will only get the more "x ray type' of picture.

now,take the MRIs and the MRAs well thats a whole different story.if nothing gets found on a CT and the patient is actually still having some pretty strong neuro type symptoms,the next thing any good doc would do would be to send the patient in for a contrasted MRI.this would really tell you much much more about what is actually going in inside of the brain,because it actually penetrates the skull and goes into the brain.big differences tho.marcia

Old 06-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User

yes i see your point about the differences but what i am trying to tell her is that a ctscan would pick up a tumor. thats what she was so concerned about. a ctscan WILL detect a tumor just not small ones. and i was using myself as an example when i said ive had headaches now for 15 years that if i had a tumor being caused by headaches then by now (after 15 years) im about positive the tumor would be HUGE! big enough for the ctscan to see. but shes talking about actually feeling them on her scalp which another poster put tumors wouldnt be on the scalp but cysts can be. which is true. and of course her dr is gonna blame all these symptoms on anxiety..which is wrong. of course she has anxiety..look at whats going on with her. shes scared and when you get scared then anxiety sets in. i also added on my post that she can go elsewhere and get a MRI just for piece of mind if her dr wont do it then she can go to another dr. but from my expirience with dealing with my headaches through several drs. they can pretty much pinpoint whats going on through symptoms because they deal with these problems all the time. i flat out asked my dr if my headaches were caused from a tumor and he said "a tumor is the last thing on my list" but i was still checked through the ctscan just to rule that out and basically to make sure i had no fluid build up causing the headaches.
i hope she gets more info on whats going on with her. and gets feeling better.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

heres something to think about to in november i got hit with a bottle in my forhead and i got a huge bump there for like 3 weeks i was lightheaded and not right i had a ct then too and it was normal they said i had a slight concussion but here was no bleeding as it was healing it looked like i punched in the eyes and around my nose swelled up but it went down like a month later i was ok again could this have somehting to do with that even though its been 5 months so i had a ct then in novem and i had another one in may both normaal....could that do this even though i was fine until may

Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

and isnt an aneurism when u have bleeding in ur head isnt that what a ct picks up on the most/ i am confused can symptoms diapear and reappear months later with this

Old 06-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Worried1977 HB User

yes a ct scan will detect a ruptered aneurism. but not an "un" ruptered aneurism.

And yes being hit can still cause all these trouble. quite a few people get whiplash, head injury or another type of neck injury and it can later effect them causing headaches.

When i went to the dr he asked if ive ever been injured in the neck or head area. when i was young me and another roller skater bashed heads. he hit the back of my head. i too had a ctscan and had a contusion. i was checked for a long time after that and then the headaches started and ive had them ever since. they are thinking this is why im getting them and have been getting them for 15 years now. im 28. There are sooooo many causes of headaches and its very hard to pinpoint the cause if nothing is there to go by. old injuries, hormones, bc pills, lack of sleep, too much sleep, caffeine, diet, bad pillow, cheeses and other dairy, greasy or spicy foods, and too many OTC meds to stop the headaches actually causes the rebound headaches. TMJ (which i have also) and tons more that can cause them. have thought more about the "inner ear" deal i brought up to you? you never did explain the type of lightheadedness. whats it feel like..explain it to me.

Closed Thread