| | Brain Tumor, waiting on appt. w/neurosurgeon
And I have medicaid so I may have to travel pretty far to see one. So if anyone out there has any experience with neurology and or oncology, your opinion would be appreciated. Here is the exact wording on my MRI report:
This study was performed with T1 sagittals, FLAIR coronals, T2 axials, T1 axials and post enhanced sagittals, axials and coronals. WIthin the medial aspect of the right temporal lobe is a soft tissue mass. This has isointense to slightly decreased signal intensity to brain on T1 weighted imaging, mixed increased-markedly increased signal intensity on T2 weighted imaging, and mainly peripheral enhancement, but an area of solid enhancement posteriorly. This lesion measures from 4 cm from anterior-posterior x 2 cm from superior-inferior x approx. 2.5 cm from medial-lateral. This mass abuts the right internal carotid artery/cavernous sinus, as well as the inferior medial aspect of the temporal fossa. Its solid and cystic component would suggest a cystic astrocytoma. No evidence of aneurism. Othr benign/malignant would not be excluded.
I am a 29 yr old white female. I went in for this MRI on Thursday following an eye appt for problems with my vision and headache i have had for about a yr on a consistent basis. this kind of blows me away. and being on medicaid i figure i am pretty much screwed. i have a disabled husband and 3 young children. what do i do now, and what happens next? being one of many under or non insured americans, the situation feels pretty dour.
My current physician is a pulmonologist and only told me i have a tumor. he refused to answer any questions as it is not his field of expertise, not to mention being on medicaid. he is really wanting to pass the buck on answering anything i want to know. I got this report by going to the place that did the MRI, as he would not give me a copy at the office. Now Im twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to find a neurosurgeon that will accept my medicaid. I live in Oklahoma. Go figure.
Based on its location, does it seem that it would be difficult to have it removed? I have been told that radiation to hopefully shrink it away a little from the internal carotid artery may be necessary as neurosurgeons really prefer to not opperate that close to a major artery if they can shrink it first, as it may prove to be of greater risk than benefit. Is this correct?
Really, no sugar coating...based on the info here am I screwed or not? Should I work on a will now or what?