It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

jptalcott HB User
Unhappy terrified of brain tumor!! please help

I've been having really weird symptoms lately that have caused me to think I have a brain tumor.

A couple of months ago, I was breaking out into hives and feeling nauseous. In the middle of the night, I woke up terrified, shaking, and I couldn't breathe. I went to a doctor who said I had anxiety. This seemed reasonable at the time, but now I have weirder problems and I thought my anxiety was under control!

First I developed a ringing in my left ear, which then moved to the right ear and then to the middle. Also, objects in my vision will appear like they are shaking when they are not. I went to an eye doctor who did a full retinal exam, and said the jumpy/wavy vision was called "oscillopsia." He didn't really give an explanation, but said it should go away and it hasn't! I have been more dizzy lately than usual. I think that worrying about these symptoms has made them worse. But can anxiety cause things like this??

I've been getting headaches, too, that get worse as the day go on and don't seem to be constant in their location...

Is this anxiety, some other physical problem, or could I have a brain tumor? So scared - Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: terrified of brain tumor!! please help

It sounds more like an inner ear. I would consult with a doctor.

These are signs of anxiety though. I used to have most of the symptoms you mentioned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

I agree that it could be an inner ear problem. The shaky eyes, ringing ears, and dizziness can all be caused by inner ear problems. Also the nausea. See a doc to rule it out. Godbless

Old 06-21-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
(female)

Fiona84 HB User

Alot of us on here have had the brain tumor anxiety...I have been there, done that, and wrote the handbook.

Brain tumors are rare, and I am not a doctor, but your symptoms really sound like anxiety.

From what I researched during my phase of brain tumor panic, brain tumor headaches are WORST in the am get better as the day goes on, not worse.

Also, take comfort in your eye exam. When an eye doctor examines your eyes, they are also looking for swelling behind the eye. That would be a symptom of a brain tumor, and the doctor would tell you about it and tell you to get it checked out. The fact that you didn't have this fares well in your favor.

When I had this anxiety, it would not go away until I had a CT Scan,but I had two doctors (who know what they are talking about btw,us anxiety sufferers i think need to learn to trust our docs more lol) who told me I had nothing to worry about...and I didn't.

Also, as soon as I got a clear CT scan, my headaches went away!!

Good luck to you, see a doc if it will make you feel better, and try not to worry! You will be fine!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
(male)

jim2445 HB User

I agree with what has been said. I have an intense fear of cancer and often find myself many of the symptoms you describe. Like Fiona84 said, Brain Tumors are rare, but unfortunately General Anxiety Disorder is not. I have had a pain in my stomach all day and more than a couple of times I caught myself equating the pain with some form of cancer. I just stop and remind myself that its my anxious brain talking and if anything its related to my stress level (or the pizza I had for lunch).

Do yourself a favor and don't search the net for medical symptoms and info about illnesses...it will intensify you anxiety.

Also, doctors who understand anxiety are also rare. Try an find a doc that specializes in anxiety disorders and talk to him or her.

Sorry that you are so terrified. I understand.

Closed Thread