It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

JudeLove HB User
Low Testosterone/Possible Brain Tumor

I am new to this site. <removed> My husband's is 25 and I will be 25 in a little less than three weeks. <removed>

In January of 2007 we started trying to have a baby. We tried for a year with no luck-and this was with me charting my basal body temperature and cervical fluid and timing conception. He had blood work done a few weeks ago that showed a low testosterone level-right around 180. They told him to come back in two weeks and have it checked again. He did and it was still low so our family doctor referred him to a urologist. The urologist examined his testicles and said they feel normal, but took more blood to see if it was primary testosterone deficiency (meaning, testicular apparently). After that, he told my husband that, from time to time, young men come in with this problem and they have a brain tumor that is causing this. My husband asked him if it was serious and he said yes.

1. Why would the urologist jump to such a conclusion like that? I really felt he had no right putting that kind of scare in my husband based off of a low testosterone in his blood and seeminly normal testicles. Granted, my husband has a hard time placing life events correctly and things like that, but he has been like that since I have known him and it isn't a severe thing.

2. From what I can tell, men with tumors that cause this have tumors in their pituitary gland and everything I have read about it points to it not being very serious.

We are just very very scared. We still haven't got back the results from the third lab they did on him and we are so worried. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is the urologist maybe just ruling out a brain tumor first? This is all very shocking to us.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-12-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: please keep these Boards anonymous

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User
Re: Low Testosterone/Possible Brain Tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudeLove View Post
I am new to this site. <removed> My husband's is 25 and I will be 25 in a little less than three weeks. <removed>

1. Why would the urologist jump to such a conclusion like that? I really felt he had no right putting that kind of scare in my husband based off of a low testosterone in his blood and seeminly normal testicles. Granted, my husband has a hard time placing life events correctly and things like that, but he has been like that since I have known him and it isn't a severe thing.

2. From what I can tell, men with tumors that cause this have tumors in their pituitary gland and everything I have read about it points to it not being very serious.
1) thats a common cause of low T. he might have been telling your husband the worst thing it could be a pit tumor. He probably also looked at the blood test and saw low LH and low FSH levels (indicating damage to the pit gland) Thats an indicator that there might be a tumor. the doctor was probably telling your husband exactly what he thinks it is. Only an MRI will tell for sure.

2) pit tumors are serious. you can die from them. either they stay small and you die over a long period of time becuase your hormons are screwed up or they grow and you die from them pressing on your brain and arteries inducing a stroke. thats the benign ones. the canceres ones are worse but 95% of the time they are benign. You can also die from the brain surgery you have to have to get rid of them, if they can't be treated wtih meds (some can some can't) (I had to have surgery to rid of mine)

dont want to scare you but also dont want you to think its nothing. Your husband will most likly have to be on HRT for the rest of his life.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User

It is scary but in the end, be happy that you have a doctor that is taking you seriously.

I had my pit tumor found in 1992 and was told to "ignore" it... following that advice has well, led me to become disabled as 44. Had I received care in 1992, I probably would be in fine shape now. Many of not most doctors find them to be inconsiquential but anyone who has one will tell you the opposite - they are tiny little monsters that pack a whopper for not having size. In the end, when I did have surgery, they found two tumors and imaging did not show what was up there as it was so just keep that in mind.

Hopefully your husband can be treated with hormones but even so, as someone who is panhypopitary, it is not fun to take all the meds every day and regulate everything. I had surgery and now I take lots of medications in the form of patches, gels, shots and pills. Please be supportive and learn all you can.

Hormones so wreak havoc with emotions, memory and a lot of things - so hopefully when everything gets back to normal, he can get back to normal but it will take time. Hang in there.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
(female)

JudeLove HB User

I did read that it is so rare for pituitary tumors to be cancerous that it is a cancer that doesn't even have a staging system. So, that is pretty rare which makes me feel better. Obviously, we have to worry that perhaps it is cancer and it didn't start in the pituitary, but I'm trying not to jump to that conclusion. Especially since perhaps his symptoms would be a lot worse if it were that bad.

He does have issues with depression, memory, energy, fertility, and just being able to enjoy life overall. It has caused so many problems in our marriage. Right now, we are separated and trying to get through this. His personality has changed so much over the past two years, it is unreal. He is less loving or attentive to me. He has just stopped caring about everything. He makes very bad financial decisions. I think maybe as a way of self-medicating? This last time that we separated, I almost gave up on the marriage. I am so glad now that I decided not to because now we might have an answer.

We can deal with the fact that he may need surgery or he may need to take HRT the rest of his life. As long as we can be together.

And I apologize for not being anonymous! I'll try to remember that.

Last edited by JudeLove; 05-13-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User

Most if not All the changes were due to the TUMOR.

Just because it is benign, does not mean is it not SIGNIFICANT. It is still hormone secreting and doing things to his body. It is the tumor that caused most if not all the issues.

They are not rare - actually 20% of of the population has them and there are several different types. Your husband will need testing to find out what type he has and treatment may be surgery, medication or a combination of both.

I had two of these tumors and it caused a lot of problems in my marriage as well - loss of libido, depression, loss of interest in anything, no concentration... in fact, I became disabled and lost my job. But my husband and I stuck it through and are now we are happy. He went with me to doctor appointments and that helped him understand my illness.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

Quote:
He does have issues with depression, memory, energy, fertility, and just being able to enjoy life overall. It has caused so many problems in our marriage. Right now, we are separated and trying to get through this. His personality has changed so much over the past two years, it is unreal. He is less loving or attentive to me. He has just stopped caring about everything. He makes very bad financial decisions. I think maybe as a way of self-medicating? This last time that we separated, I almost gave up on the marriage. I am so glad now that I decided not to because now we might have an answer.

We can deal with the fact that he may need surgery or he may need to take HRT the rest of his life. As long as we can be together.
I had huge personality changes with the hormon changes. he also needs his HGH checked. a lack of HGH will cause you to feel your not worthy of other people's time. I dropped all of my friends because they changed but it was really me that had the personality change. Depressed, didn't really care about anything, etc...

Getting on TRT will help with a lot of that. but be prepared he may have a temper for a few months as his body readjust to the increased T levels. For fertilility he will need to take HCG shots. most doctors will not perscribe this but it has been shown to keep a male fertile or return a male to being fertile. It will also help keep his testicles from atrophing to much.

he needs to go to a endo and get a full hormon work up.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpled View Post
They are not rare - actually 20% of of the population has them and there are several different types. Your husband will need testing to find out what type he has and treatment may be surgery, medication or a combination of both.
dont forget radiation treatments. pit tumors dont like radiation at all. after surgery had to have rad treatments to kill the last hunk that was wrapped around an artery. (rad treatments will damage the thyroid gland if it isn't already messed up by the pit tumor)

Old 05-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
(female)

JudeLove HB User

With the way things have been here lately between us, I am really prepared to deal with anything. I just want him to get better. We can worry about having babies and our marriage after all of this is over.

They took his blood work a week ago and now they are saying it won't be back until Friday. They did tell him that they are checking his FSH and LH hormones. Is there any reason why they are still screening his blood maybe?

Last edited by JudeLove; 05-14-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

rumpled HB User

I hope they are checking more than FSH/LH. I hope he is getting copies of all his tests. If not, tell him to do so.

He needs ALL his pituitary hormones tested as well as ALL the male/female hormones, adrenal, thyroid everything - no stone should be left unturned.

Pituitary tumors take a lot of testing. It is not just one test.

Radiation is an option... sorry I forgot that. There is gamma knife and cyber knife... but to do that is to pretty much destroy most if not all pituitary function, takes time to work, usually is not the first option and usually means a loss of fertility.

Once he gets on a regimen of hormones, he can go back to being normal. My husband is amazed at the changes in my personality and how mellow I have become now (I had Cushing's disease and a prolactinoma). I was ery different and very moody before and now I am back to being a calm, normal person.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpled View Post
Radiation is an option... sorry I forgot that. There is gamma knife and cyber knife... but to do that is to pretty much destroy most if not all pituitary function, takes time to work, usually is not the first option and usually means a loss of fertility.

Once he gets on a regimen of hormones, he can go back to being normal. My husband is amazed at the changes in my personality and how mellow I have become now (I had Cushing's disease and a prolactinoma). I was ery different and very moody before and now I am back to being a calm, normal person.
the radiation didn't make me infertile its the low FSH (still can have kids just really unlikely) According to my Rad doctor radiation to the head will not effect fretility. I had cyberknike and it didn't damage the gland anymore then it was already damaged from the tumor.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

Quote:
They took his blood work a week ago and now they are saying it won't be back until Friday. They did tell him that they are checking his FSH and LH hormones. Is there any reason why they are still screening his blood maybe?
some labs can't do some test and have to send the blood to other labs for the test. but usually a week is all thats needed. Shouldn't take 2 weeks unless the lab screwed something up and are having to rerun the test.

make sure he gets copies of his labs! He also needs an MRI if they think he has a pit tumor. blood work alone cant tell if he has one. Other things can cuase damage to the pit gland liek sharp blows to the head.

as rumpled said make sure they are checking every sexual hormon he has just not his male ones.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #12
(female)

JudeLove HB User

Today they called him and told him that his FSH/LH levels are normal. But they haven't told him if he needs an MRI or not yet. He mentioned that the last time he ejaculated, very little came out. That's never happened before, but I guess it is related.

Last edited by JudeLove; 05-15-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
(female)

JudeLove HB User

Some of this doesn't make sense to me. If his FSH and LH are normal, it would make sense that his pit gland is fine, wouldn't it? Those are the hormones that target the organ where sperm and testosterone is made...so it seems like this is more primary (testicular).

I dunno...<removed>.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-15-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: peer sharing only

Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

Quote:
Some of this doesn't make sense to me. If his FSH and LH are normal, it would make sense that his pit gland is fine, wouldn't it? Those are the hormones that target the organ where sperm and testosterone is made...so it seems like this is more primary (testicular).

I dunno...<removed>.
ok it depends. if the numbers were int he normal range then most doctors will say oh its fine. but if his T is low his lh should be high telling his testicles to produce T. Thats why you need the labs to see exactly what the numbers are. just because they are normal according to the lab report doesn't mean there really normal. Lots of doctors dont understand how to treat male hormons and lots of doctors just look at the lab and say ok normal. with out looking at the big picture.

low to mid LH levels with low T indicate a secondary

Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
(female)

JudeLove HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengie View Post
ok it depends. if the numbers were int he normal range then most doctors will say oh its fine. but if his T is low his lh should be high telling his testicles to produce T. Thats why you need the labs to see exactly what the numbers are. just because they are normal according to the lab report doesn't mean there really normal. Lots of doctors dont understand how to treat male hormons and lots of doctors just look at the lab and say ok normal. with out looking at the big picture.

low to mid LH levels with low T indicate a secondary
Okay, that makes sense. I guess he will talk to him today.

Closed Thread