It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User
Vibrating Head with MAV or Inner ear symptoms?? Anyone???

It seems that migraine is what I am dealing with, but because I have fullness in both ears as part of my symptoms, and because I had viral labrynthitis (so it seems) last March, the picture is sort of clouded. Anyway, I have this low-grade "vibration" feeling (not a SOUND, but a feeling, like someone is taking a vibrating mechanism, and putting it right against my head) in my head. It's pretty constant, which is UNBELIEVABLE, but sometimes I get "attacks" in two ways. First way is that all of a sudden, the vibrations are ramped up 10fold for a period of about 3-4 seconds or, it even vibrates my eyes, and makes me feel like I am going to go into a spinning vertigo, but thankfully, I don't. I just sort of shake my head to try and get out of it. The other type of attack makes me feel like I am walking on top of a trampoline, and if I turn my head left (ear to shoulder), my neck begins to vibrate), and if I dip my head back, my neck begins to vibrate, but as long as I leave my head neutral, it's pretty ok. But during these head motions, my balance is affected even more than normal. Walking is almost impossible, and I have to lay down and let it pass, which usually takes about 5 hours in total. My whole day is shot when this happens.

The first type of head vibration, just the low-grade type that is there constantly, is one thing, but the first type of "attack" comes on spontaneously. There is nothing i can attribute to when that is going to happen. Once it happened when I was driving. Once it happened when I was standing in my kitchen. That second type of attack happens under a dew different circumstances. It can happen when I am straining in the bathroom if I just keep pushing over and over, it can happen spontaneously if I am under stress, it can happen during exercise, it can happen if I have a head cold and I blow my nose excessively, and it can happen if I attempt to "pop" my ears too much.

It would SEEM that the second type of attack would be inner ear related, and would be related to "pressure", but I have had all the inner ear testing at Johns Hopkins with Dr. Minor, and he can't find anything. He doesn't think I have a fistula (which also means I would have to have it bilaterally because BOTH ears are full, even though the left ear is worse, and bilateral fistula is not likely), I DID show a POSSIBLE dehisence on CT scan but my VEMP was completely normal, as was my frenzle goggle examination. He diagnosed migraine. But can migraine do all that?? I have NEVER heard anyone with migraine complain about all this vibrating nonsense and having these attacks of increased dizziness (not drop attacks, but increased dizziness) as a result of pressure fluctuation. I am at a COMPLETE loss.

I have consulted with Dr. Hain, and he is sending me for an ECoG test now just to see what it shows. But I have also called back Dr. Minor and am going to tell him about all this increase in symptoms. When I went to see him back in April, I was not as attuned to these "attacks", and so I don't know if he'll have a different opinion now based on this new evidence. Perhaps I DO have SSCD and this is just the way I am presenting. I see no logical explaination for this and I am yet to hear of anyone with migraine talk about these vibration sensations, or "attacks" of INCREASED dizziness for short periods that include additional symptoms such as vibrations in the neck and head, feeling like they are walking on a trampoline or on top of a ferris wheel, only to normalize again in a few hours with rest. Usually, MAV'rs have 24/7 symptoms that can be different from day to day, but usually not drastically different in a matter of seconds with these types of symptoms. SO, this is why I am posting this, to see if anyone out there can relate, and this is also why I am doubting my diagnosis of migraine a little. Something doesn't smell right with this. Thanks to everyone who read this novel!

Rich

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
(female)

ssdizzy HB User
Re: Vibrating Head with MAV or Inner ear symptoms?? Anyone???

Hi Richard,

I don't know if this is the same thing ... but I have had the vibrating sensation on and off for several months. I don't really notice any increased dizziness with it - but it is a very strange and unsettling feeling. My diagnosis is recurrent BPPV and most likely underlying labs/vn.

The vibrating/shaking feeling started at about month 9 or so for me and still continues on and off to this day (month 18). My neurotologist said the shaking is very common with vestibular disorders because our balance systems are operating on "manual" and that creates strain for the neck and upper back muscles. He prescribed a low dose of valium and that did seem to help calm the shaking down.

Since then I have figured out that mine is related to musculoskeletal strain. After getting fed up with the constant vibrating/trembling feeling, I went to see an orthopedist a couple of months ago and he prescribed PT - which included massage 3x/week, stretching 3x/day and exercise, plus he prescribed an anti-inflammatory. I couldn't believe it - within the first week, after months and months of shaking (especially at night) - it stopped. It was such a relief!

I completed the PT and tried to keep up with the stretching and massage ... but the shaking has come back at times (argghhh). But, at least I know that it is related to muscle issues for me. The massage therapists I have seen and my chiropractor have all seem amazed at how tight my neck muscles are and how many knots I have! That helped confirm for me that my neck and back are working overtime .... which leads to the shaking. I'm hopeful that with continued massage, stretching and strengthening - I can get past the shaking once and for all!!

Hope you can get your issues figured out ...

Old 07-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
(female)

lookng4answrs HB User

Rich,

I have that vibrating sensation in my neck also. I agree with ssdizzy--it seems to be pure fatigue of the muscles, but it definitely feels weird. It seems to hit me hardest in the middle of the night if I get up for any reason. I had PT and massage therapy plus stretching as well, and it did help to a certain degree, but only temporarily which leads me to believe the muscle strain is a by product of whatever else is going on. My neck hurts about 98% of the time, and often the pain radiates into my head. It's no fun.

~J

Old 07-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User

Thanks guys, this vibration is MOSTLY in my head, but has the addition of hitting my neck only during the "second" type of attack. And it's interesting, it will only vibrate if I dip my head to the left or back, and no matter how slowly or carefully, the vibrating is there. And don't forget, the dizziness is through the roof during this time, so there is an uprising in the other symptoms as well. It takes 5 hours to calm everything down, then everythng is back to "pre-attack" mode. NO clue what this is, but it would seem a bit more than simple muscle involvement, otherwise the dizziness wouldn't get worse, and my vision woulnd't also get worse during the attack. Just curious if anyone else experienced this. Sounds close, but don't think it's the same. Thanks guys :-)

Rich

P.S If anyone reads this thread, I don't care if it's a YEAR from now, please, by all means, respond. I will always check back lol

Old 07-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

violet6 HB Userviolet6 HB User

Rich--

I get a vibrating kind of sensation in my brain/head when I do too much; it makes me feel dizzier and then it subsides (along with the dizzies) when I lie down for a while. It is not an external vibrating that someone could see or feel on my head or neck. Buzzing or vibrating is just the best way I can think of to describe the odd sensation.

I'm experiencing this now. I went to a mall today and then have been on the computer for several hours--way too much. I actually feel like throwing up for the first time in months.

I think of it as my vestibular system trying hard to keep up with what I'm doing b/c it is directly related to how much activity I'm doing.

Is this like yours?

Violet

Old 07-15-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User

Thanks for the reply Violet! Yeah, it IS like that, except I call this an "attack", because all my symptoms are temporarily increased so badly, that I can't walk for 5 hours, and have to lie down until it dies off. It sometimes puts me out the whole day. I wish I had a clue what this was :-(

Rich

Old 07-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rich--

Wow--yes, mine was a lot worse in the earlier months of my illness...it was pretty much like a constant huge vibrating bell in my head or something and I was always incapacitated. Now it has calmed down to being like how I described previously...more dependent on my level of activity. I have no idea what it is...to me it seems perhaps like exaggerated motion sickness or something--all related to the over-sensitive or damaged vestibular system. Has yours improved over the past few months at all or is it a new symptom?

Violet

Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User

no, no improvements. I also get periodic attacks where my head will vibrate rapidly for 2-3 seconds and then stop. from this attack, i have no residual effects, and i can go on with my day as my usual dizzy self lol. but if i have attack #2, with the trampoline under my feet feeling, forget it!!! But THIS attack causes mostly the vibrating to affect my neck but ONLY if i move it. If i lay down, or leave my head in the nuetral position, or even bend it forward or to the right, i'm fine. but left or back and it vibrates. It's wierd. but my head doesn't vibrate during this episode. but the dizziness is sky high, when i walk, i feel like i am bouncing up and down, and it's just very very uncomfortable. i have no clue about this. i have had this symptom since i woke up with it in January 2008 and it has plagued me a few times a month ever since then. The constant feeling of vibrating head is something that is more new. It's like a low-grade vibration that is always there, but sometimes just ramps up x10 for 2-3 seconds and makes me feel like i am going to go into spinning vertigo, but then i am ok right after. it's the darndest thing. i haven't a clue. perhaps it's just all migraine/anxiety and this is how i am responding. my only other inkling is that i have a fistula or SSCD is affecting my ears somehow, because like I said, these attacks that put me out for 5 hours are mostly pressure-induced. I really need some answers. But AM getting somewhere with the mgiraine treatment although very slowly, so it looks like a lot of this IS central in origin, and not inner ear. it's all very confusing and annoying. I am in month 6 right now, and my ability to function is at about 50% right now. i hear people complain how about 75% is. i think i am pretty accurate at 50%. i can take care of myself, i can walk, drive, and do all my own chores, but with MAXIMUM discomfort, and in CONSTANT fear of an attack, or that i'll have my daughter out with me, and she'll get free from me and something will happen to her. i really need to know what these attacks are and get them under control at least

Rich

Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rich, I think the vibrating is not from anxiety, but rather causes anxiety. That's my feeling about my experience anyway. The more dizzy I am, the more I feel that vibrating feeling, and then I feel anxious too. After I lie down for a while, it gets better. I agree about wanting answers. I'm not sure whether or not the doctors know about all of that...if they know exactly what's happening neurochemically. Let me know if you learn anything about it. My thought is that it will go away with medicine and/or time.

I'm also at about 50 to maybe 60 percent at good moments. I only recently moved above 50, and it has made a big difference to me...I push myself to do more b/c I can, and it is good to get out in the world more. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we both move much closer to 100% by the end of the year. I'll find out tomorrow if my treatment will be taking a new course or not (ie new exercises and/or meds)...I'll be sure to mention the vibrating and see what I can learn!

Violet

Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User

Thanks Violet, I appreciate that! I would be curious to know what the doctor says can cause that kind of vibrating in the head. Thanks again and I'll look for your update :-)

Rich

Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
(female)

pamg6 HB User

Hey Rich,

I have had the vibrating head and face!!!!! Since the meds, I haven't really had either in several months....but i do remember the feeling all too well!!

Pam 3

Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User

Remind me Pam, since the meds for your migraine?? Perhaps this IS all migraine doing this to me. thanks for chiming in!!

Rich

Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #13
(female)

xtine04 HB User

Richard! i get this. I have the low grade vibrating almost 24/7... i call it a tremor.. but i don't think anyone can see me shake.. i just feel it.. ... if i really take it easy it tends to go away.

i had the neck vibrating attacks too... i just kind of called them neck spasms but i think they're the same thing... i got these when i was really, really bad... i could hardly lift my head off a pillow or keep my head supported in mid-air.

i believe these symptoms are related to my fistula and to possibly low CSF.

just reading back on your past posts.... i see that you have fullness in both ears.. you don't necessarily need a fisutla to be bilateral with this. people with PLFs tend to experience symptoms in both ears but have it worse in one.

i also have to mention that i've gone thru a few treatments of massage therapy and i believe there was muscle involvement with my symptoms... it's helped a great deal and at least has helped with my anxiety... might be worth a shot...

good luck,
xtine

Old 07-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
(female)

pamg6 HB User

Rich,

It is all Migraine!! All the "weired" symptoms....it is all Migraine, although anxiety sure can do funky things as well.
I think I mentioned that I used to say to my hubby, "my face is doing that vibrating thing" and my scalp would tingle and feel "creepy". My lips would quiver and the bridge of my nose would vibrate too !!!!!! I don't notice these sx as much any more, but I still get the "brain is rattling inside my head when my head isn't moving" kind of feeling still, although not to the same degree as before. I rarely get a headache but Migraine is neurological, so you will get neurological sensations.
Pam 3

Old 07-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Boslee2008 HB User

Thanks for the reply guys! I have been tested for fistula over and over. Nothing every time. I just had an ECoG test today for miniere's. Stone-cold normal!! There are not many conditions that can congest both ears at the same time other than PLF (Dr. Hain says that the fullness is primarily felt in the affected ear), simple eustacian tube disfunction, and migraine!! I have some of the symptoms of PLF, mainly the pressure sensitivity, I of course have eustacian tube disfunction, but I have ALL the symptoms of migraine. Pam, I think your'e right. Ive just been fighting this for 6 months, thinking it's something really sneaky that nobody can pick up. I have seen the best doctors at Johns Hopkins, and several other hospitals. They can't find anything lol. The more time goes by, the more apparent it sems. Thanks again to both of you for your responses

Rich

Closed Thread