It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
(male)

wolfman54 HB Userwolfman54 HB Userwolfman54 HB User
Question Small Cell Lung Cancer 9 Month Survivor

I was diagnosed with small cell (oat cell) lung cancer at the end of January 2008. According to the statistics I was supposed to die in May 2008. Yet here I am, nine months later (not complaining about this state of affairs) but here is where the confusion comes in. I have had four rounds of chemotherapy between February 08 and June 08. I had my latest CT scan this past week, September 08, and the cancer lesions in my lungs have neither grown nor gone away and are the same size as at the time of diagnosis in January 08. According to the doctors, this is not supposed to happen with small cell lung cancer. They are calling me an anomaly. Am I actually an anomaly or are there others out there that are survivors of small cell lung cancer with dormant cancer lesions in their lungs. I am taking daily doses of shark cartilage, zinc as well as Flax seed oil. Both my wife and I swear that it is the shark cartilage that is keeping the cancer cells dormant but the doctors severely discount this. I would very much like to hear from other small cell lung cancer survivors to find out if I am truly an anomaly.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
(female)

mishymay3 HB User
Re: Small Cell Lung Cancer 9 Month Survivor

Hello there. My mother in law was diagnosed with sclc October of 2008, the same week my father passed away from non small cell lung cancer at the age of 55.

My mother in law is in remission and has been for a couple of months. They did do preventative brain radiation since this is the place those cells like to travel to next. She is still very tired but amazes us all everyday with her fighter and positive spirit.

I wish you all the best.
Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
(male)

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I wish your mother all the best and that she continues to remain in remession. The British Columbia, Canada cancer agency has been wonderful in their support, both physically and mentally. According to the nurses on the cancer ward 30% of winning the battle against cancer is all in your mental attitude. From your message your mother has courage and attitude that is required to successfully fight this terrible disease. My very best to both of you. Wolf

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-26-2008 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button to avoid unnecessary quotes.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
(female)

Marlinsum HB User

My father in-law 74 y/o was diagnosed with sclc in august of 06. He was in remission for a year then relapsed in Jan of 08 he did chemotherapy again. Hes tumor did shrink from 8cm to 5cm with no Symptoms. He was stable for 4months but now has progression of hes disease. It has been just over 2 years now and he is still here. He will not be doing any more treatment for he's small cell lung cancer but thats because he has other health problems hes heart only functions at 20% and is in heart failure if not for that he would be going for more treatment. Hang in there you could very well stay stable for a long time.

Mar

Old 09-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinsum View Post
My father in-law 74 y/o was diagnosed with sclc in august of 06. He was in remission for a year then relapsed in Jan of 08 he did chemotherapy again. Hes tumor did shrink from 8cm to 5cm with no Symptoms. He was stable for 4months but now has progression of hes disease. It has been just over 2 years now and he is still here. He will not be doing any more treatment for he's small cell lung cancer but thats because he has other health problems hes heart only functions at 20% and is in heart failure if not for that he would be going for more treatment. Hang in there you could very well stay stable for a long time.

Mar
Hello Marlinsum, thank you very much for taking the time to post a reply. Your post is very encouraging for me as yours is the first that offers some form of hope. I am sorry to hear that your father-in-law is so seriously ill, especially after successfully battling small cell lung cancer. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time.

The following user gives a hug of support to wolfman54:
khansen166 (12-21-2011)
Old 09-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
(female)

cookie558 HB User
Smile Re: Small Cell Lung Cancer 9 Month Survivor

My husband was diagnosed in July 2006 with SCLC.A large tumor was starting to block off his vena cava and he was given three weeks to live if he didn't get immediate treatment. So he had chemo and reaiation. This shrank the tumor a bit but it is still there, but not doing anything.He had a check up last week and he is still doing fine after 2 years and 3 months. He is anxious to go to work but his oncologist does not recomend it. Cookie

Old 10-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie558 View Post
My husband was diagnosed in July 2006 with SCLC.A large tumor was starting to block off his vena cava and he was given three weeks to live if he didn't get immediate treatment. So he had chemo and reaiation. This shrank the tumor a bit but it is still there, but not doing anything.He had a check up last week and he is still doing fine after 2 years and 3 months. He is anxious to go to work but his oncologist does not recomend it. Cookie
Cookie, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with me. It has certainly made my day to know that there are others like myself who are living with cancer lesions that have remained stable (that is what my oncologist is calling my current condition). God Bless you and your husband and I will pray that your husbands health continues to improve so that you might enjoy a long and fulfilling life together. Wolfman54

Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
(female)

jeaniek HB User

I love seeing success stories such as this - thank you for sharing.
I unfortunately lost my father to sclc almost 2 years ago...but it's always wonderful to see that glimpse of hope that Cancer can be beat.
I wanted my dad to use supplements as well, but he refused and the doctor would not back it up - but I believe that natural remedies can be helpful in addition to the help you get from your doctor
I just think that either doctors are generally not open minded towards them or there's not enough research so they don't want to put their foot in the mouth or even more, why push natural remedies when surgery/drugs/treatment are effective...but whatever the reason if they are working well for you then that is wonderful!!!
Lots of best wishes for the future!
Jeanie

Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniek View Post
I love seeing success stories such as this - thank you for sharing.
I unfortunately lost my father to sclc almost 2 years ago...but it's always wonderful to see that glimpse of hope that Cancer can be beat.
I wanted my dad to use supplements as well, but he refused and the doctor would not back it up - but I believe that natural remedies can be helpful in addition to the help you get from your doctor
I just think that either doctors are generally not open minded towards them or there's not enough research so they don't want to put their foot in the mouth or even more, why push natural remedies when surgery/drugs/treatment are effective...but whatever the reason if they are working well for you then that is wonderful!!!
Lots of best wishes for the future!
Jeanie
Jeanie, thank you for your words of encouragement and I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your father to sclc. The British Columbia, Canada cancer agency is doing a 5 year study on the effectiveness of shark cartilage on cancer. They are doing this because there are enough cancer patients in BC that ignored their doctors and used both medical recommended and holistic treatments and the anecdotal evidence suggests that there is a strong enough link to be worthy of a longer study. The nurses at the cancer agency, all who have 20 plus years working with cancer patients, that 30% or more of the cure for cancer is in the mind and the attitude that you bring to the fight. Is there a guarantee? Absolutely not.

A friend of ours was diagnosed with cancer and given 0% chance of survival managed to survive 18 months, much to the doctors amazement. Before the end she told me that while she had hoped for more, but an extra 18 months with her family was a gift from God. She tried all of the supplements and in the end felt that she had not received any benefit from them.

So what has worked for me? Laughter, a positive attitude (people say they cannot believe how positive I am considering my diagnosis), the love and support of family and friends, using both holistic as well as "regular" cancer therapies and a determination never to give up. On my worst days when I should have stayed in bed and felt that I hardly have the strength to breath let alone get up, I made myself get up, get dressed, brush my teeth and shave and all of that other grooming stuff and go down to the living room to participate with the family in family life. To me this was a small victory and provided me with a positive feeling and with each day or week or month, I added to what I was able to do. I am now at the stage where I am almost back to normal for both strength and stamina and spent the last month bucking up trees for firewood and the last five days splitting (using a mechanical splitter) and stacking (that was done manually) our winter supply of firewood for heating our home. I am looking forward to even greater victories as time goes on. My apologies for the length of this note but I wanted to provide you with my view of surviving cancer. I still take shark cartilage, zinc, and a number of other anti-oxidants and believe that they continue to help me survive.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
(male)

scotty1uk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie558 View Post
Hi there cookie after reading through lots & lots of posts i have came across your one which seems very simular to my fathers diagnosis. We started getting worried as his face started to swell after several consoltations with he was put for a chest xray which showed up a mass on the right lung. He was referred to Main hospital for a CT scan where they confirmed lung cancer and we was told 2 weeks and he would have had a anurism to the brain which more than likley would hace caused death. He has 3 masses 1 right lung / 1 lymph node betwen the lungs and 1 under left arm pit. We have been told there are only 2 stages to sclc. LIMITED & EXTENSIVE. I asked doc on thursday and was told my father was extensive. He was diag on 22nd dec08 and has started his chemo 2 down 2 to go then 4 weeks of radio. Can anyone please give me more info on this.

scotty

Old 02-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
(female)

cookie558 HB User

Hi, that is the same as my husband's situation. SCLC usually responds better to the treatment than non small cell. My husband is still in remission. Hang in there and watch the treatment work. Cookie

Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
(female)

tuckygal HB Usertuckygal HB User

Hello all, I haven't posted for a while but contine to pray for all the cancer patients and families. I had treatment, chemo and radiation, for SCLC in the spring of '05 and have had 'clean' scans since them. I am thankful to wake up each morning. I don't have much energy anymore and have put on too much weight from eating non-stop. Other than that I am glad to still be hanging in there.
Never lose hope. And yes, a good attitude is a wonderful medicine.
I will try to check back in more often. God bless all; Pat in KY

Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
(female)

likekfc HB User
Cool Re: Small Cell Lung Cancer 9 Month Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman54 View Post
I was diagnosed with small cell (oat cell) lung cancer at the end of January 2008. According to the statistics I was supposed to die in May 2008. Yet here I am, nine months later (not complaining about this state of affairs) but here is where the confusion comes in. I have had four rounds of chemotherapy between February 08 and June 08. I had my latest CT scan this past week, September 08, and the cancer lesions in my lungs have neither grown nor gone away and are the same size as at the time of diagnosis in January 08. According to the doctors, this is not supposed to happen with small cell lung cancer. They are calling me an anomaly. Am I actually an anomaly or are there others out there that are survivors of small cell lung cancer with dormant cancer lesions in their lungs. I am taking daily doses of shark cartilage, zinc as well as Flax seed oil. Both my wife and I swear that it is the shark cartilage that is keeping the cancer cells dormant but the doctors severely discount this. I would very much like to hear from other small cell lung cancer survivors to find out if I am truly an anomaly.
I have just been dianosised with small cell went through my frist round of chemo which has kicked me good No idea what to expect Like in Mobile Al. sure would like so input thanks

Old 02-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
(male)

Re: Small Cell Lung Cancer (was 9 month, now 13 Month) Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by likekfc View Post
I have just been dianosised with small cell went through my frist round of chemo which has kicked me good No idea what to expect Like in Mobile Al. sure would like so input thanks
Hello likekfc;
My apologies for the delay in my reply to you post as I have not had the opportunity to access my messages much as of late. There is so much variation in tolerance to the chemotherapy regimen that I have discovered that each session with chemotherapy is unique to the person going through the process. Providing you with a rundown on my chemotherapy experience will simply make you wonder whether I am telling you the truth as my experience might be different than yours.

I can offer a very, very important learning from my experience. Demand that you NOT be treated as a patient who has treatments performed on you. DO DEMAND that you be treated as an equal partner in your therapy regimen. Do not worry that many of the medical terms might at the beginning sound like a bunch of baffle gab. Buy a good quality dictionary or get on the web and look up the words. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS and demand answers. If you don't know then you cannot respond or be prepared for what is happening. Too many folks with serious diseases enter into medical facilities and have procedures done to them. Letting the medical profession do things to you means that you do not have a share of the control. If you have a share of the control over what is happening to you, you will feel better. And while this is easy to say and hard to do, many believe that my 13 month survival is also due in large part to my attitude. Never, ever give up. No matter how hard the day, allow yourself some time for self-pity but then find something to smile and laugh about and think positive thoughts.

I wish you the very, very best in your successful journey through cancer and look forward to hearing about your success's in the coming months.

May God be with you.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckygal View Post
Hello all, I haven't posted for a while but contine to pray for all the cancer patients and families. I had treatment, chemo and radiation, for SCLC in the spring of '05 and have had 'clean' scans since them. I am thankful to wake up each morning. I don't have much energy anymore and have put on too much weight from eating non-stop. Other than that I am glad to still be hanging in there.
Never lose hope. And yes, a good attitude is a wonderful medicine.
I will try to check back in more often. God bless all; Pat in KY
Bless you Pat and may you enjoy continued good health.
wolfman54

Closed Thread