HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Brain Tumors (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/brain-tumors/)
-   -   headache for 3 weeks? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/brain-tumors/672705-headache-3-weeks.html)

umbrella2 02-20-2009 06:42 PM

headache for 3 weeks?

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me -- or help ease my mind at least until my next doctor's visit. I'm a 20 year old female and have had a pretty constant headache in my left temple for the past 3 weeks. The pain has been pretty localized, although sometimes I have felt pain behind my eye, pain in my left temple, and sometimes short pain in the back of my head. The pain is not as bad as the first week -- the first week it was maybe a 6 on a scale of 1-10, and now its maybe a 2 or a 3. Sometimes I have sensations in my scalp that make it hurt to brush my hair, and sometimes I have short bursts of pain in my right temple as well. Occasionally I have pain in my cheek. I dont always have it, or at least I dont think so, if I do something else, I dont feel it at all. Sleep and aleve are the only things that help. The headache doesnt start until I've been awake for awhile. The only other headache I've had like this was in November...I got it after pulling an all nighter studying for my college biology exam and it went away after 5 days. The only thing that has changed since then, is I got braces (dental braces) about 2 weeks prior to the headache. I've also had mild pain in my back (I have two vertebrae that are pressing on each other but the doctors told me it wasnt serious) and pain in my neck on that side, that feels sort of like my lymph nodes are swollen.

I've had vision or balance changes, no light sensitivity, and no nausea. Occasionally my left eye experiences a dull throbbing. I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago and she put me on antibiotics because I had suffered from a short cold about a week into the headache and she said she wanted to rule out a sinus infection before investigating it more.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I have NEVER had a headache last this long. I usually get a headache once a month (due to menstruation) but its not usually isolated to my temple. I'm really freaked out -- I keep reading stuff about sinus thrombosis and brain tumors and aneurysms. I definately will get this checked out by a doctor (I have an appointment for this week) and will have the usual tests done as soon as I can, but Im looking for a little support in the mean-time. My friends are sick of listening to me and think that I'm making it up.

feelbad 02-21-2009 09:18 AM

Re: headache for 3 weeks?

well,you are doing the right thing here in having this evaluated by your doc. i really do think, just given the length of time this has gone on and the repetitive nature of what you are experiencing, at this pojnt having a contrasted MRI would really be the best way to begin the process of finding out the true source of your headaches and other symptoms.

do you have a copy of the MRI that was done on your c spine where the disc issues were discovered? if so,could you type out that very end summary where it talks about the findings? or was that MRI done on some other place?

getting an MRI,with contrast done both on your brain and that c spine area really would be the best places to check for the 'culprit' that is triggering off your symptoms. some c spine issue can actually affect the head in some ways only because there are certain cranial nerves that do run down from our heads/brains,into that c spine area,then loop back up into our heads again right around that c 8 nerve junction at the very end of the c spine. while we do not have an actual c 8 vertebrae,we do have a c 8 nerve. its also called the ulnar nerve.

but an MRI on the brain and c spine WITH a contrasting agent that just helps to highlight certain areas that do not always show themselves really well with just a regular MRI really would be the best possible place to start for you right now. you just really need that more in depth look into those two areas just to really see whats going on in there. it may or may not be the spot,but it does, if nothing else, need to be thoroughly looked at and at least ruled out,ya know? i do wish you luck with this and please DO keep me posted as to what you find out. Marcia

Dul 06-16-2010 12:35 PM

hi,
Im having the same (exactly the same) problem could you please tell me what you found out?
thanks

honeybunn 06-18-2010 09:43 PM

How did your Dr's Apt. go?

William LYL 09-25-2010 07:08 AM

[QUOTE=umbrella2;3892840]Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me -- or help ease my mind at least until my next doctor's visit. I'm a 20 year old female and have had a pretty constant headache in my left temple for the past 3 weeks. The pain has been pretty localized, although sometimes I have felt pain behind my eye, pain in my left temple, and sometimes short pain in the back of my head. The pain is not as bad as the first week -- the first week it was maybe a 6 on a scale of 1-10, and now its maybe a 2 or a 3. Sometimes I have sensations in my scalp that make it hurt to brush my hair, and sometimes I have short bursts of pain in my right temple as well. Occasionally I have pain in my cheek. I dont always have it, or at least I dont think so, if I do something else, I dont feel it at all. Sleep and aleve are the only things that help. The headache doesnt start until I've been awake for awhile. The only other headache I've had like this was in November...I got it after pulling an all nighter studying for my college biology exam and it went away after 5 days. The only thing that has changed since then, is I got braces (dental braces) about 2 weeks prior to the headache. I've also had mild pain in my back (I have two vertebrae that are pressing on each other but the doctors told me it wasnt serious) and pain in my neck on that side, that feels sort of like my lymph nodes are swollen.

I've had vision or balance changes, no light sensitivity, and no nausea. Occasionally my left eye experiences a dull throbbing. I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago and she put me on antibiotics because I had suffered from a short cold about a week into the headache and she said she wanted to rule out a sinus infection before investigating it more.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I have NEVER had a headache last this long. I usually get a headache once a month (due to menstruation) but its not usually isolated to my temple. I'm really freaked out -- I keep reading stuff about sinus thrombosis and brain tumors and aneurysms. I definately will get this checked out by a doctor (I have an appointment for this week) and will have the usual tests done as soon as I can, but Im looking for a little support in the mean-time. My friends are sick of listening to me and think that I'm making it up.[/QUOTE]
I am having the same prob. I am also freaking out. Worst part about this is that I live in a 3rd world country and I have no health Plan. Finally got to a doctor and she put me on some meds and told me to rest and if it doesn't go away by then, that I should have a MRI. I AM SO SCARED!!!!!!!! I have never had a head ache like this for this long in my life and yesterday it was SOOOO BAD!!!!!!!!

herewegoagain28 09-28-2010 03:29 PM

hey, got similar problem. does your headaches flair up say after you've eaten something like popcorn or anything chewy like starburst or PB kisses? IF so, im thinking either TMJ which i already was diagnosed with years ago or trigeminal neuralgia which is what they believe i have now. If you're not sure, try eating one of these types of items when your headache is not so bad. Yikes, i know. Feeling your pain