It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
Just a bit of an upset rant about doc app./weight

Like usual, the doctor focused on weight and "stress". I left the office...bawling...trying to drive. I put on WEIGHT WHEN I got sick...I AM NOT SICK because of weight gain. I was athletic when I got sick and became completely debilitated and as a result I put on weight. It seems when they have NO CLUE or DX they blame stress (psych issues) and/or weight! Many, many years ago, when I was anorexic (size -0), doctors thought I was "healthy" or I was complimented. Now I eat a good diet (always have done that except when I got really depressed) and have been able to start exercising (last 3 months, do Pilates 4-5x's a week) and wear 10-12 and I am called "OBESE." It's so upsetting! I am just very sad.

-Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
Re: Just a bit of an upset rant about doc app./weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoos View Post
Like usual, the doctor focused on weight and "stress". I left the office...bawling...trying to drive. I put on WEIGHT WHEN I got sick...I AM NOT SICK because of weight gain. I was athletic when I got sick and became completely debilitated and as a result I put on weight. It seems when they have NO CLUE or DX they blame stress (psych issues) and/or weight! Many, many years ago, when I was anorexic (size -0), doctors thought I was "healthy" or I was complimented. Now I eat a good diet (always have done that except when I got really depressed) and have been able to start exercising (last 3 months, do Pilates 4-5x's a week) and wear 10-12 and I am called "OBESE." It's so upsetting! I am just very sad.

-Bella
Omg i'm so sorry. I had the same thing happen to me the first time I went they blamed in on my weight. Do you have the symptoms of Fibro and think you have it? Keep going back to the doctors print out the symptoms If you have it. MAKE THEM LISTEN TO YOU. If you truly believe you have Fibro then you probably do you and only you know your body. I knew I had Fibro even when the doctor told me it's because your over weight. Start exercising and you will feel better loose weight. Well months later I was still in pain.

If your doctor still won't listen look and see if you can find another doctor that will listen to you. Hang in there. If you need to talk send me a pm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
(female)

Rita27 HB User

Any doctor who would call a Size 10/12 OBESE is an idiot. This is a normal weight for most women, unless you are 18. Most doctors would not say that. I would switch doctors to someone who takes you seriously and focuses on your pain, not your weight.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
(female)

sweetjerseygirl HB User

I am also sorry you went through that, im getting more and more sick of Doctors, they are paid a fortune, overbook appointments, rush you and tell us things like that ! When they say they want to fix the health care system i think they should start with the uncompassionate DRS ! My original Doctor, right before i found out about the fibro, dropped me just when i needed him most. He put me through every test in the world and would say things like, well your sed rate is a little high, or this or that, then my white count shot up, (16) both my knees went out on me, ( arthritis ) my mamo came back bad, and my husband and i were going through a very rough patch. So he sends me to an oncologist, rheumatologist, and another MRI at the hospital for my breast and before he found out what was going on with me, i received a letter from him saying he was dropping me as a patient. Want to talk about crying. I thought it was cruel and to this day im more mad at myself than anybody for not reporting this bad behavior but i was so upset i couldn't think straight for a long time, now i like to forget ! This last Doctor i went to i told her i have fibro, this is what i am experiencing, and this is what i need to get me back on my feet. But i know when you dont feel well they can finish knocking you right off your feet ! Im done with that......I have my defeated days also and i try and drag myself around and i have to give in to the fatique and just go lay down, or i overdo it and boy do i pay for it !

Don't give up, arm yourself with information and do what you think is best, I presently take a lot of vitamins and i know some dont want to hear that, they will take three to four months to kick in completely, but you must also research what works for you and what medications you can or can't take them with. I was really sick of it, i had enough and i feel proud i have done this for myself, please dont get me wrong, there are days i don't have a choice and i have to take regular meds but i get so damn mad, i keep telling myself they are poison, its a mind thing i do to myself.

But think to yourself, this is what i paid that doctor for today when i was in such pain and had to drag myself out in the cold. I hope you have something to help calm you a bit, even if its tea. There are a list of vitamins on a locked thread on top of this board, most of them i take myself but i did the homework myself. There are books available at the library because i know most are taking a hit in this economy. And i never realized how much antioxidants are in fruits and vegetables ! Good luck to you, please stop crying, it will only make things worse, rest and take each day as it comes and next time, if there is a next time, let him know how much he upset you and you had to drive home like that, i told my Doc that one time and couldn't apologize enough. Thats is not why we go to see them, we pay them for services and our time is just as valuable but maybe more cause we don't feel good. WOW, you just sent me on a rant i haven't been on awhile. Here's a friend to sit with you today

Old 02-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Thank you both! I was sobbing asking my mom if I didn't see myself correctly and if I was fat. Having been anorexic this was not a good thing to have happen. When I started getting sick and gaining weight it was horrible. I was in severe pain, hated myself and at times didn't want to live. I was finally starting to feel better about myself and this really hurt me. I have had 1 dx after another thrown at me and no one can agree. I have listed my symptoms below. (BTW- he also stated about me getting older-playing a part...true I understand that everyone experiences problem with age but I am only 32...not 82 like I feel...and regardless of age this is not "normal).

SYMPTOMS: (from Journal kept-per doctor- March 15th 2006 to Jan 1st 2009 although MAJOR issues started Jan 31st 2006)
*Sudden onsets.
*Stiffened body, especially shoulders, arms and wrists which make it difficult to lift things, walk and move.
*joints sublex/dislocate for no reason - multiple steroid shots in joints which didn’t help.
*Feels like every bone in my body is in crushing pain.
*Muscle spasms and pain.
*Sharp shooting pain in wrists, hands, knees, legs, ankles, feet.
*Hard to move/bend-hands, finger and wrists. Difficulty cooking, cutting, opening things, driving, and holding things like coffee cup, pencils etc…
*Numbness/tingling/bug-like sensation through whole body.
*Swelling and painful joints.
*Feet and hands feel frostbite (painful), very cold to very hot. (have small fiber neuropathy)
*Baker’s Cyst, behind both kness.
*Cold and clammy throughout body/ cold sweats.
*Swollen, sore/painful tongue
*Uticaria.
*Long lasting bruising without cause/injury.
*Muscle soreness.
*Sleep difficulty.
*Dizzy, heart palpatations, tachycardia.
*Tired and spacey.
* Vision issues.
*Extreme swelling in hands and wrists.
*Daily fevers to 103 degrees. (the high fevers just went away about 6 months ago, although every few weeks I may run one but it only goes up to approx. 101)
*Throbbing, burning, achy skin.
*Frequent urination.
*Nauseous.
*Parts of body will just go numb (“dead feeling”) for no reason especially a hand or a foot or lips.
*Swollen lumpy areas under skin that come and go.
*Sores on hands and feet.
*Rashes.
*Red and white splotchy all over, off and on.
*Pain completely debilitating at times.
*Per my lab tech doing my Vennipuncture last 10 yrs. “Veins have become very stringy.” Hard to get a vein. She’s never seen before. Started within the last 2 yrs, getting progressively worse.
*Multiple Dental problems in the last 1 ½ yrs. Difficulty with anesthesia working/lasting.

I also have a written list of DX'ed conditions but I didn't want to put that in since there is soooooo much to read here. Again these symptoms were recorded from 2006-and the 1st month of 2009. Some have continued, some have lessened, and some have almost disappeared. Thanks all. It's nice to have people that "understand" how this feels.

-Bella

Old 02-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Thank you sweetjerseygirl (btw-my family is from Jersey and I used to spend every summer up there with my grandparents but they have passed now).

I needed your rant. I found myself smiling and saying "yes" out loud...hey maybe they are right...I am "Crazy" and "fat"...I am not sick at all..just need a good shrink and diet.

Since you are into vitamins, have you ever heard of "Ruby Reds"? I think that is what they are called. If not, maybe you could check it out online and let me know what you think. It's kinda expensive. But it may be worth it.

Thanks again. I needed a melt down and need to pick myself back up again. But, I would really like not being knocked down so much...my tushy is sore.

-Bella

Old 02-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoos View Post
Thank you both! I was sobbing asking my mom if I didn't see myself correctly and if I was fat. Having been anorexic this was not a good thing to have happen. When I started getting sick and gaining weight it was horrible. I was in severe pain, hated myself and at times didn't want to live. I was finally starting to feel better about myself and this really hurt me. I have had 1 dx after another thrown at me and no one can agree. I have listed my symptoms below. (BTW- he also stated about me getting older-playing a part...true I understand that everyone experiences problem with age but I am only 32...not 82 like I feel...and regardless of age this is not "normal).

SYMPTOMS: (from Journal kept-per doctor- March 15th 2006 to Jan 1st 2009 although MAJOR issues started Jan 31st 2006)
*Sudden onsets.
*Stiffened body, especially shoulders, arms and wrists which make it difficult to lift things, walk and move.
*joints sublex/dislocate for no reason - multiple steroid shots in joints which didn’t help.
*Feels like every bone in my body is in crushing pain.
*Muscle spasms and pain.
*Sharp shooting pain in wrists, hands, knees, legs, ankles, feet.
*Hard to move/bend-hands, finger and wrists. Difficulty cooking, cutting, opening things, driving, and holding things like coffee cup, pencils etc…
*Numbness/tingling/bug-like sensation through whole body.
*Swelling and painful joints.
*Feet and hands feel frostbite (painful), very cold to very hot. (have small fiber neuropathy)
*Baker’s Cyst, behind both kness.
*Cold and clammy throughout body/ cold sweats.
*Swollen, sore/painful tongue
*Uticaria.
*Long lasting bruising without cause/injury.
*Muscle soreness.
*Sleep difficulty.
*Dizzy, heart palpatations, tachycardia.
*Tired and spacey.
* Vision issues.
*Extreme swelling in hands and wrists.
*Daily fevers to 103 degrees. (the high fevers just went away about 6 months ago, although every few weeks I may run one but it only goes up to approx. 101)
*Throbbing, burning, achy skin.
*Frequent urination.
*Nauseous.
*Parts of body will just go numb (“dead feeling”) for no reason especially a hand or a foot or lips.
*Swollen lumpy areas under skin that come and go.
*Sores on hands and feet.
*Rashes.
*Red and white splotchy all over, off and on.
*Pain completely debilitating at times.
*Per my lab tech doing my Vennipuncture last 10 yrs. “Veins have become very stringy.” Hard to get a vein. She’s never seen before. Started within the last 2 yrs, getting progressively worse.
*Multiple Dental problems in the last 1 ½ yrs. Difficulty with anesthesia working/lasting.

I also have a written list of DX'ed conditions but I didn't want to put that in since there is soooooo much to read here. Again these symptoms were recorded from 2006-and the 1st month of 2009. Some have continued, some have lessened, and some have almost disappeared. Thanks all. It's nice to have people that "understand" how this feels.

-Bella
You have a lot of symtoms of Fibro but they could be other diseases. They say Fibro is caused by a traumatic event. I don't know much about eating disorders but I would say that maybe could cause Fibro. But I'm not a doctor. But don't give up hang in there.

for now stuff that can help if you do have Fibro is getting rest, no sugar, and cut out red meats. It may help. I hope you get a doctor that will listen to you.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
(female)

sweetjerseygirl HB User

Good for you Bella "n" no your not crazy or fat, thats insane ! Its so hard and disappointing when others let us down like this, but i am very proud of you. We can't always help our emotions when others do this to us, but we cannot let them do that. Stress is very bad for our condition, perhaps advise to find another dx. is a better solution. I would probably call the office before i step foot into one and give them hard earned money. I was lucky enough to find a dx. who deals with this on a daily basis but when i lost my insurance i had to do a walk in clinic and no problem once i explained it to her. So keep your chin up kiddo, if your Grand-parents are from Jersey than you know what they would be saying right now. Take a nice hot bath and drink some hot tea, i can't remember off hand all of your ailments but i will look more closely when i have the time, i just returned from the library myself and have to get the hubby's dinner going. I will copy and paste something i wrote for myself but if it looks a mess i did it in a hurry but i understand it..........These of course are no medical cures, merely suggestions but perhaps you can find a thing or two to help relieve some of the tension that you are feeling. Burning oils are one of my favorite and inexpensive for tension, just find the one you like best and try to relax. For about six dollars in like a Walmart you can find the oil, burner and tea candles that go out themselves, so you can fall asleep if you wish without worry. They are usually by insense and or potpourri items. The oil is only $1.97, tea candles $1.00 and the burner around three bucks. And now i will copy and paste something for you and hope you can find something to help. Heath food store, the bulk tea is not expensive at all. Good luck Sweetie, hope im not in trouble again !!! L.O.L.

This is something i wrote for myself awhile back but if it helps someone, then i see no harm, of course everyone should check with the dx. first as always advised. And ok you can call me crazy if u would like but think back to what the Native Americans used when these were the only things available.

Eyestrain~ Chrysanthemums, especially to soothe overworked eyes and tension headaches
combat stress with jasmine, stress, anxiety & tension. jasmines oil linalool, stimulates production of the calming brain neurotransmitter. Jasmine tea will calm down your heart rate relax muscles and calm anxiety in five mins.
Stomachache~marigolds sold as calendula tea, has anti-inflmmatory compounds that relax stomach muscles, easing swelling and digestion problems. Studies show the petals are antibacterial, killing illness causing microbes in the intestines on contact and the effects are so powerful, the may even prevent ulcers and stomach cancer
In feng shie, yellow chrrysanthemums are the symbols of laughter and happiness
hibiscus tea can lower cholesterol & even prevent heart disease. One study show people with high blood pressure can drop by 11 % in 12 days. Also antioxidants that stop cancer cells from growing or forming. Green & black are powerless to stop the growth of tumors, hibiscus tea shut down their growth in lab tests 82 % if the time.
Joint pain steeped in hot water, a roses small round seedpods called rose hips release powerful chemicals that ease joint pain and inflammation. can also reduce arthritis symptoms by 37 % & they are packed with essential fatty acids and immunity bossting nutrients, 20 times more vitamin c than an orange.
Bloat~ Dandelions. wildflower tea acts as a natural detoxifier and diuretic. it triggers the kidneys to flush out excess salt and fluids at a much faster rate it is as effective as a water pill and helps the liver release toxins. Its a huge health booster and its as nutritious as broccoli
Insomnia~passionflower instead of popping a sleeping pill, sip a cup of passionflower tea, it eases nervousness and restlessness just as well as drugs, but no side effect it will cure insomnia and lead to deeper and longer sleep
Some may not taste too good but you can add honey or figure out something to make it taste good.
Ending awakenings with balerian root, its similar to valium, Also 5-htp makes serotonin to sleep better, take at night. But as first noted, always ck. with Dx. first

Old 02-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
(female)

sweetjerseygirl HB User

I forgot im so sorry, you are very welcome and of course i will look into the red rubies, but if i get in trouble i might have to P.M. you. I think we should share all and make our own opinions though

Closed Thread