It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
(male)

ed74 HB User
What Diseases Cause Brain Lesions

What Diseases Cause Brain Lesions

Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: What Diseases Cause Brain Lesions

"Brain lesion" is a very general term, it just means an area of brain tissue that looks abnormal on x-ray, MRI or CAT scan. There are hundreds of different disorders (not to mention injuries) that can cause brain lesions of one type or another.

Advanced age, arteriovenous malformations (a tangle of veins that may look like a shadow on x-ray), physical injury, infection, cysts or tumors, chronic migraine, carbon monoxide poisoning, stroke, dementia or Alzheimer's, Multiple Sclerosis . . . etc.

Where the lesion is located and how big it is can give the docs clues to how/why the lesion formed in the first place.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

great answer auntie,really. the one thing you left out tho that is a very common finding as far as lesions within the brain is the AVM counterpart,a cavernous hemangioma. many many people have these within the brain(the liver is also a very common place too). they can also, but very rarely show up in the spinal cord too. mine did. that sucked. just wanted to mention probably the ONLY type you left out of that biggie list of yours,lol. the AVM is arterially fed while a cavernous hemangioma is only veinous fed. great post tho. marcia

Old 04-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Yes and I should have known that, I was with a relative when she was (accidentally) diagnosed by MRI after a very bad fall. There was some confusion if it was AVM or a CCM, one doc arguing with the other over whether or not it looked like a "raspberry" or some other fruit! We were in one of those curtained off ER rooms listening to the discussion, giggling and terrified at the same time. I kept telling her she had fruit for brains.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

oh geez, my particular MRI stated mine looked, and i kid you not,"like a blooming effect, like a flower blooms". i'm like what the h***? really strange to read THAT in my report. they thought at first that mine was an AVM,so for two weeks til the angio which would show if it were arterial fed(light up) or veinous fed(no light up) i researched like a crazy person there for awhile and scared the heck outta myself. despite it "only' bing a cavernoma, it still was bleeding and had to come out anyway. but tht 'arterial' crap scared me to freaking death. my 'blooming' flower.

it sure is interesting in how some of these findings are stated by the rads. marcia

Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
(male)

reelman HB User

most often ms or lyme disease which can appear to be ms on mri

Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelman View Post
most often ms or lyme disease which can appear to be ms on mri
Yup! I don't know if it is "most" often or not...but those two conditions may show as lesions on an mri.

Welcome to the boards, reelman...nice to have you join us!

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-08-2009 at 05:42 AM.

Closed Thread