It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

drsofia HB User
Unhappy birth mark in autistic children? a coincidence?

my 3 year old autistic son has a birth mark on his back. i noticed that his younger brother has it too..and at the same spot. i'm getting worried bcos his younger brother who is 20 months old hasn't utter any words - not even 'mama', and uses adult's hand to show to what he want, he also laugh inappropriately, signs of autism. god help me.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
(female)

Mira11 HB User
Re: birth mark in autistic children? a coincidence?

so sorry you're going through so much stress. there is a very good type of program that has helped children with autism and is best when started young - it's called ABA (applied behavioral analysis) and when done by qualified trained ABA staff it can be very helpful in bringing in language. do you live in a larger city that has good resources? you have a right to services for both your kids, if your youngest does have some needs, through your school district and if you're not already on board with them, definitely call asap before the special ed people are out for the summer and tell them your situation and request an eval for services, and mention ABA to see if they offer that.

Do some networking with your local autism support group and pediatric neurology depts. to see which therapists in your city work best with autistic children. Even if you do not do ABA, speech therapy by a ST who specializes in autism will be very helpful. If your kids have sensory issues (to sounds, lights, touch, smell, etc.) an occupational therapist with a speciality in sensory integration will also be very helpful.

If your school does not have an appropriate program it is their obligation to find one that does. I believe early intervention services are from birth to 3; then others from 3 on. Again, the professionals in your area are the ones to make contact with.

If you have a dx. of autism you might also be eligible for some respite time from your local county dept. of devel. disabilities. Call and get a file opened, get a worker and see what they might have.

Please know that there is help. My son has come such a long way from those very difficult early years. He is 21 now.

i don't know anything about the birthmark thing; my son has no birthmarks. does your youngest babble, make pretty good eye contact, smile at you, turn when you're calling his name?

Last edited by Mira11; 06-16-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
(female)

seeme HB User

This is kind of funny. My son has a big birth mark on his lower back.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Well I only have one child and he has autism, but I found it very odd that he was born with a large red birth mark on the side of his head.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I would venture to say that most babies have a large birthmark of some kind. I have one, so does my husband.

My opinion is, coincidence.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
(female)

elbryn HB User

Our twin No 2: His palms were very full of small cracked patterns; all over his both hands inside/palms since he was newborn (but very little ot it is visible today).

His (one-egg)-brother did not have this rare sign of autism. Twin No 2 still today has Asperger (his twin brother have no diagnose anymore).

Twin No 2 walked on his toes when he was about 2 years old but he stopped after some moths.
(Twin No 1 did not walk on his toes as far as I can remember).

Last edited by elbryn; 06-24-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
(male)

seansdad HB User

Hi everyone, this is my very first post on a forum so please be nice. I have a 10 y/o son who is on the spectrum and he was born with several cafe au lait (coffee with milk) spots on his body. There are several medical conditions that can cause these spots but the one that I wanted to share is one that ties into Autism. This information is from a website and not rote memory so please forgive me if you have seen it before. Thank you.

Tuberous sclerosis (TS) is a hereditary neurological condition that affects all ages. The name arises from the potato stem-shaped growths that occur in the brain, also known as tubers. These growths often involve overgrowth of nerves or the connective tissue within them, which is described by the term sclerosis.

Tuberous sclerosis is also known by the names tuberous sclerosis complex and Bourneville's disease. Neurological symptoms may include tubers and other non-cancerous growths in the brain, cancerous brain tumors, seizures, and intellectual disability or developmental delay.

Autism is seen in about 25 to 50% of people with Tuberous sclerosis, and this is felt to have a major influence on an individual's daily functioning. Parents of children with Tuberous sclerosis often raise concerns about autism or autistic-type characteristics, because this has a significant impact on routine activities like attending school. Though scientific studies have been done to find exact neurological causes for autism in Tuberous sclerosis, none has provided consistent results.

Nearly everyone with Tuberous sclerosis has some symptoms affecting their skin. These include light-colored patches called ash-leaf spots, acne-type growths on the face, nail beds, and the body, and shagreen patches. Other common symptoms of Tuberous sclerosis are kidney cysts, kidney growths, and heart tumors that may develop at a very young age or even before birth.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
(male)

DrFishNips HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansdad View Post
Hi everyone, this is my very first post on a forum so please be nice. I have a 10 y/o son who is on the spectrum and he was born with several cafe au lait (coffee with milk) spots on his body. There are several medical conditions that can cause these spots but the one that I wanted to share is one that ties into Autism. This information is from a website and not rote memory so please forgive me if you have seen it before. Thank you.
Holy **** you serious? I supposedly have high functioning autism and I have a huge cafe au lait (haha) coloured birth mark on my inner right leg just below the hip. Its a massive one. Interesting observation I woulda never associated birth marks with some kinda medical condition. I have a few other anomalies like a huge dent in the back of my skull. Its so big I can use it as a kinda stand so the back of my head doesn't roll when I'm lying on a hard surface. I think it covers part of the occipital lobe and part of the posterior parietal lobe. My dad admitted one day that when I was a baby one day he was stoned and accidentally dropped me on my head. That might be the explanation haha.

Last edited by DrFishNips; 06-27-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Closed Thread