It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
(female)

onesummersday09 HB User
Question questions about eeg and mri

I went to the neurologist for the first time today and he thinks what I have might be either seizures or narcolepsy. I'm scheduled for an EEG and MRI and I was wondering: how does an MRI tell if someone has had a seizure, even if they are very small? (atonic seizures, possibly absence seizures) also, for the EEG, what is the likeliness of them actually being able to see that you are having seizures ( if you don't have one while you are hooked up) and what sort of things can they do to provoke it? sorry, long post

Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
(female)

ahhchoo HB User
Re: questions about eeg and mri

Hi,

The doctors can look at your MRI to see if there are things in your brain that could cause seizures, such as tumors, angiomas, lesions, etc. As far as I know they can't tell whether you've actually had a seizure.

As far as the EEG is concerned, people with epilepsy have abnormal EEGs even when not having a seizure, especially off medication. I'm not sure what the chances are of having epileptic bursts show up on a routine 2-hour video EEG, but I know they show up on mine, even when I'm seizure-free on medication.
To provoke seizure activity in your brain, the tech will have you close your eyes and flash different speeds of strobe lights in front of you, have you hyperventilate for an uncomfortable length of time and have you count backwards from 100 to 0 in intervals of a given integer, like 3, 6 or 7...not something easy like 2, 5 or 10. The tech will also encourage you to sleep/relax for 20-30 min, but I'm not really sure how this provokes seizure activity, if it even does. Maybe someone else knows.

Everyone has different seizure triggers. Those things may or may not provoke seizure activity in your brain. One of the slow strobe light seems to be very effective in causing seizure activity in my brain. It's an intense and unpleasant experience that lasts too long for my taste. It's not like the seizures I normally have, but it's seizure activity. If something provokes seizure activity in your brain, your doctor will probably request to have the activity repeated again at the end of the EEG. At least that's what my doctor does...so I get shown the offending strobe light twice during my EEG.

If you have anymore questions, let us know.
I hope everything turns out ok for you. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
(female)

onesummersday09 HB User

that is some very useful info! thank you soo much. aahh I'm nervous! all of this stuff has been going on since the begining of February and I'd like to be able to finally put a name to the face and get something to help it. And about the counting back from 100 in different intervals: how embarassing if I get stuck on a number! lol 100 .... uhh .. haha

Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesummersday09 View Post
that is some very useful info! thank you soo much. aahh I'm nervous! all of this stuff has been going on since the begining of February and I'd like to be able to finally put a name to the face and get something to help it. And about the counting back from 100 in different intervals: how embarassing if I get stuck on a number! lol 100 .... uhh .. haha
Ha ha! Don't be embarassed! My last EEG the tech asked me who was the President of the United States. I couldn't remember his name (this was after the hyperventilation part) so I just said, "Someone I didn't vote for either time."

Then she asked me how many nickels were in a dollar and I replied, "I have a degree in English, not MATH!"

They were all cracking up in the glass booth, I could hear them and the tech. said, "Oh, she's ok!"

No, I'm a wise***!

Don't be worried, it's no biggie.

But you may want to revisit some old math books! HA!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
(female)

onesummersday09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Ha ha! Don't be embarassed! My last EEG the tech asked me who was the President of the United States. I couldn't remember his name (this was after the hyperventilation part) so I just said, "Someone I didn't vote for either time."

Then she asked me how many nickels were in a dollar and I replied, "I have a degree in English, not MATH!"

They were all cracking up in the glass booth, I could hear them and the tech. said, "Oh, she's ok!"

No, I'm a wise***!

Don't be worried, it's no biggie.

But you may want to revisit some old math books! HA!

haha that made me laugh soooo hard lol. And thank you that makes me feel a bit better about it. I had my MRI last Thursday (was expecting it this week though lol SUPRISE) and I thought my belt was going to rip off and smack me in the face ( the tech said it was okay to keep it on) lol some scary equipment. I'm certainly no expert at reading MRIs but on a few of the pictures, there was this big bright white spot at the back of my brain. I know I should just be patient, wait for my consult next week but I'm pretty much out of patience. If anybody knows anything about reading MRIs, do you think I should be concerned about the white spot? I don't know if this helps but the images with the white spot were some of the first few images on the screen (gave me a dvd of it) I know there are different types of scan-image-things lol and I wish I could be more specific of what type of scan-thing it was.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
(female)

sheenalderek HB User

i was diagnosed with seazures at the begning of 2009 they did a mri and an eeg only 1 i have not ever had a seazure but i went to the doc for migraines and when he did the eeg it came back signs of seazures and strokes they put me on dilantin and i took it by the next morning i had passed out on my porch busted my eye open and was un conshes my husband had to call 911 they took me of that med and put me on tegretol it made me feel like i was drunk i couldnt get out of bed at all so i changed doctors and now i am on keepra i have been seazure free for 2 months (thank god) the reason i wonted to tell you this is beacuse if they tell you it is showing those things get a second opinion when they put me on the first 2 meds it has changed my life totally i cant drive i cant work that med should be taken of the market

Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

The other question if it's a short EEG or an "in hospital" or "wearable" EEG...
Yah, Most likely it's the short one. Don't worry!

USUALLY first time they an EEG on a patient, it's the (not the best term to use; however..) "standard" 45 minute (or so) EEG. If they need to conduct an "in depth" EEG (or Video monitored EEG, V-EEG) They may have the patient come into the hospital for 3 days or longer (maybe up to a week).

I have also seen a "waist pack" type that patients can wear AT HOME and they can (unsure on this part exactly for the data storage/retrieval) either plug it into the phone to transmit the data collected (after day/days?), or need to bring it in after set period of time. Usually THIS method would be used for persons that are already KNOWN to have seizures.

The MRI is just a detailed scan. Think of it like an X-Ray but rather than bone, it can handle flesh. Just stay still. For me, I find focusing on the top of the machine works to keep still. If there is any grime I stare at it. That works great when they have to do an MRI of my optic nerve (on the EYE!) imagine trying keeping your EYE still for a few minutes. (laughing).

The MRI as others explained, is looking for any abnormalities that may exist. The doc is just making sure that NONE EXIST. They want to cover all possibilities for the rare chance that it might be something they can't see from the outside of the body or the patient complaining.

The IN Hospital VEEG I played games with the nurses when asked questions (my sense of humor). When they asked me the day I told them well in 5 minutes it will be... (it was 5 minutes until midnight! She didn't realize that she started rounds early). The one time when I was asked if I knew the day, it was about 8PM I said well it already turned to midnight UTC (Greenwich Mean Time) so what time zone do you want to go by for the date? Took her a second to understand what I was saying. (Hey, I fly, UTC is the "standard" time pilots use!) One did ask me a complex question that threw me for a loop at first. What room I was in (how was I to know, I wasn't allowed OUT!). They want to see if your mind is still spinning or if you are just in a haze. Most of the day I had nothing to do but veg out or surf the net. Gets boring after the third day.

I was on bed restrictions, so I needed a nurse in the room (IN MY CASE; special circumstances) just to be allowed out of bed. So to stretch my legs I tried to do that daily a couple times. I would do exercises in bed so I didn't need a nurse there.

Try to have a good holiday!

--Travis
(lets hope I don't get stuck in the snow)

Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Well, my first EEG and MRI were abnormal. I was told there were signs that at some point, I had a "mini-stroke." (Is that like mini-me? Or mini-brain?)

My oldest sister has had migraines forever and her MRI showed "white spots." She was told not to worry about it (as I was) and was given Topamax.

My good friend has had many, many mini-strokes and she has white spots on her brain galore.

Again, her neuro. said not to worry.

Wonder if HE would had these spots been noticed?

All the best and try not to worry too much.
But keep reading and investigating

Sheila

Old 01-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
(male)

bemo10598 HB User

During an EEG all they do is test your electrodes in you head.
During the examination the have you take deep breaths for like 3 - 4 minutes.
They also have a sequence of flashing lights getting faster and faster as time progresses.

MRI - I am not sure about the MRI as I have not had one done before..

Closed Thread