It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
(male)

thalsey HB User
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Try and keep this short, for the past year I have been dealing with lower back problems, basically pain that would start in my lower back and fire down my right leg, stayed the same for almost a year, no injury to my knowledge, kind of started out of the blue. Had an MRI done, Bone Scan,and they were both normal i was told. They also did a nerve test and that was abnormal.

Fast foward to about a month ago, I started to notice some tingling in my fingers, and it has now spread to both arms, occasionally my legs and feet, and well as my face on both sides. Getting very painful burning pains in my right shoulder basically right on my shoulder blade. Burning pains also on the back of right arm, and flat out rediculous pain in both my wrist, fingers...It is not constant, the only thing that is fairly constant is the tingling, the pain comes and goes. often get pain that radiates down my legs, but the weird part is its usually on the front of my right shin???Neck is very stiff on the right side, and pain often radiates up behind my ears, mainly the right.

The weirdest part of all of this is since this has started, the original low back and leg pain that this all began with has basically disappeared, to be replaced by all this garbage. I know this could be many things, just curious if anyone with spinal cord problems have had any of these symptoms? Saw a Neuro on Wed and she did a ton of blood work, waiting on results, and wants an MRI of brain, I am assuming they will look at C spine as well I hope..:

Any info would be appreciated, thanks..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
(female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User
Re: Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Very well could be c spine, make sure they look at it closely. I went almost a year after they were only looking at my lumbar spine, and then discovered I had spinal cord compression at C7-T1 which required surgery.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
(male)

thalsey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by minstrel2 View Post
Very well could be c spine, make sure they look at it closely. I went almost a year after they were only looking at my lumbar spine, and then discovered I had spinal cord compression at C7-T1 which required surgery.
Thank you for your response, today it was in the right shoulder really bad. Like a pin was stuck under my shoulder blade, now that I am relaxing on the couch its back to the tingles in the face, hands and arms should follow shortly..

Can the cervical spine create sensations in the legs as well?? I have always heard that is not possible??

Old 03-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

that would really depend upon the true extent of the possible c spine damage/cord involvement actually. but when the cord is affected, from whatever level that is at it IS possible to actually have just about any type of neuro issue from that level on down to the toes there. i have a spinal cord injury from a surgery i had to have done in my cord at the c 8 nerve level and i have a TON of insane and off the wall types of symptoms and syndromes i am dealing with now from directly under my R breast on down thru my R foot. cord compression(the more severe the more or worse the symptoms and pain can be too) just can create alot of lower types of symptoms since all signals run down to the periphery and back up thru that one spinal cord to and from the brain. just think of the cord and brain and ALL the interconnections(nerves) as kind of a super highway with signals always running back and forth. if there is kind of even a 'partial roadblock" in there, things either don't get thru, or have to kind of take a 'detour"(which will impact things very differently) not good with nerves or neural tissue.

your doc seriously also needs to include that very crucial c spine in that MRI too. and most definitely WITH contrast, espescially when looking at the brian too? using contrasting agents just really better highlights certain things in there and the spinal levels that can sometimes be a bit 'hidden' without it? there is most definitely 'something" that is going on there in you, the key here is really looking at all the possible "trigger" areas to rule things in or out as that main generator of your ongoing symptoms.

just considering how this presented initially tho, it seriously would not hurt at all to actually run this scan literally thru out the entire CNS, which would be from the brain on down thru the sacral level down there. you originally had what appeared to be only like possible lumbar issues that then turned into something else? so also taking a good hard look see into that area of the original presentation would simply make common sense here, ya know what i mean? it is always a possible to have more than one area with spinal issues, trust me. i have a c spine mess(this started before my cord crap started) along with a herniated L4-5 too. but my L thankfully has kept pretty quiet, for which i am very thankful, lol.

it just kind of makes much more sense to scan the whole CNS right away vs you possibly having to repeatedly come in for another scan or scans if that L actually IS a problem in there in some way too? i really would discuss this with your doc before setting up the MRI. there are just many many people out there who just DO have c spine and also lumbar or some other level too(these areas just happen to be the most overly worked and strained). they usually don't know about any of it til it simply decides to 'present' itself in some insane way, or as in my lumbar crap, it just showed itself upon an MRI wayy before i ever even 'felt' it was there at all.

we just seriously have no real clue as to what can be going on inside our own bodies til we start taking some 'looks' inside it. but i would push the doc for a full contrasted MRI, just to see whats there or is not there. good luck with this, and please let us know what you find out. marcia

Old 03-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
(male)

thalsey HB User

Thanks marcia, its really scaring me and I am sick of being so worried all the time, thinking about brain tumors and everything else. I will keep posted on what happens, waiting on blood work results before they will even schedule MRI.

Closed Thread