It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #16
(male)

Odra111 HB User
Re: Constant fear of having a Brain Tumor

Reckful:

I always see floaters when looking up at the sky. They last a few seconds. I wouldn't worry about unless they are present for much much longer (and not only when you look at bright light.)

Like you, I would see some red spots on my skin and would think I had a terrible disease. What did I do? I went to the dermatologist who then told me what it was. Absolutely normal. And yes, he said my chronic anxiety could trigger those read spots.

In the past, I was sent to a treatment called "people with heightened illness concern". They did some cognitive therapy behavior for a few months and it was very helpful. That alone wouldn't work, though. Meditation, relaxation techniques and some yoga were essential for my recovery. And I have learned that I have to continue with this "alternative" therapy (meditation, relaxation, yoga, exercises) even if I am feeling perfectly fine. It's normal to stop doing these things if we feel better. But for people with anxiety like myself, that means the problems will return. In other words, it's a lifetime commitment.

If you do think there is something wrong with you, do look for medical attention. In the meanwhile, research about meditation and relaxation techniques.

Best,
Alex

Old 04-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #17
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Reckful...glad I was able to ease your mind a little. As for the floaters you see, vision disturbances can be a symptom of a brain tumor but once again, floaters are not one of the symptoms. If you are concerned about them, see an ophthalmologist. I have them too as do most people at one time or another. I just ignore them.

And yes, if you have had these symptoms for 3 months, you'd be much sicker by now. And you aren't...so you made your own correct diagnosis.....no brain tumor.

We all go through this phase of life where we get afraid that we will get something that will kill us. But quite frankly, at your age, the #1 killer is traffic accidents. Suicide is not far behind. Look after your mental and emotional health...it is far more likely to kill you than any disease.

good luck..............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 03:24 AM   #18
(male)

Reckful HB User

I'm almost off of this. I've been doing pretty good these past few days. One more question.

Since I've started worrying about a brain tumor, I've been looking closely into the mirror to examine my face / eyes, and I've noticed that when I'm really tired, in semi-darkness my left pupil is pretty big and my right pupil is big too, but my left one is definitely bigger than the right.

I don't know if it's been this way for my entire life, but when I started worrying about having a brain tumor, I noticed it and googled and read that it could be a symptom of a tumor? Both pupils go back to normal size at the same time when reacting to light, but why are they unequal when it's darker?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Pupil size in the dark really depends on just how much light is coming into that particular eye and how much you are focusing with it. We all have dominate eyes that do more work that the other eye so it could be your right eye does the dominate work of focusing in the dark and so it would be smaller as you try to see your left eye.

Here's an idea.....since we all should get our eyes examined every 2-3 years (or once a year if you wear glasses) why don't you make an appointment with an optometrist to have your eyes checked and ask him/her if you eyes look okay? One of the early signs of pressure in the brain is from the tiny blood vessels at the back of the eye that we can't see but they check. If those are fine, then you are free and clear. And it's just good for your eyes to have them checked out periodically.

Good luck, Reckful...............Jenny

Old 05-04-2010, 04:38 AM   #20
(female)

ashleybean HB User
Cool Re: Constant fear of having a Brain Tumor

Hi, Reckful, I'm a 36 year-old female with a brain tumor. Mine was diagnosed at age 14 after I began having severe headaches and dizziness. No one was able to tell me how long I had had it, so obviously mine caused no symptoms if I did have it prior to the headaches. Thankfully, my tumor, which is located on my pineal gland, is benign. I just have to monitor it with the occasional MRI. None of your symptoms except possibly visions disturbances, suggest that you have a tumor in any way.

I am well versed in brain tumors as my son also is affected. He was diagnosed with a genetic disease called Tuberous Sclerosis Complex two years ago. He has eight brain tumors. TSC causes the gene that prohibits tumor growth not to work. Therefore, he has tumors in every organ of his body; hundreds in some areas such as his kidneys. His tumor symptoms are classic: headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, disturbed vision, learning disabilities, and seizures.

I am pretty sure that you do not have a brain tumor! If you are that worried about it, go and get an MRI and you'll know for sure within a week. I think what you need more than anything is some good counseling for your major anxiety disorder!

Good luck to you!

Closed Thread