It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Cyberknife possibility

I will be printing out RMJ3's blog on Cyberknife for my husband to read if we choose that route but have a few questions to ask please. My husband has Gleason 9 , Stage 11 Prostate Cancer, which, according to the scans, has not spread outside the prostate. He would be a candidate for external beam radiation, had he not had radiation therapy for rectal cancer nearly 7 years ago, which affected his bowel considerably. Our oncologist feels that more radiation to the area could have devastating effects.

Hifu is carried out here but our oncologist says it has not been carried out for long enough to be able to really assess how effective it is.

So Cyberknife is a possibility. That cannot be done here in the Bahamas and that is why I am asking for some idea on what that entails in terms of preparation and administration. We would have to travel for the procedure, which I understand might take place over 5 days (or more if we were to copy RMJ3!) What I would like to know is how long the preparation period is and whether it would be feasible for us to come home in between prep and treatment. If RMJ3 or anyone else could advise, I would be grateful.

We are not sure insurance here will cover the treatment, which I understand is very expensive. Any ideas on an approximate figure?

My husband's case is to be discussed in conference in Tampa on Monday, so we should soon have some idea how other oncologists feel he should be treated. He is already on Zoladex injections.

Alison

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Cyberknife possibility

Well, no responses but things have changed. The team in Tampa met and the consensus is that brachytherapy with palladium seeds might be a better option. Now looking into what that entails in terms of travel, prep and administration.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

shs50 HB User

So glad you're considering alternatives to Cyberknife. Its track record for Prostate Cancer is unproven as its a crossover therapy formerly called Sterio-tactic Radio-therapy originally used to treat brain metastases and other tumors. If your husband has rectal damage from prior radiation therapy, Cyberknife could aggravate it.
Have you also considered Proton Beam therapy which does the least peripheral damage and is highly targeted and effective?
Yuor husband's very aggressive and advanced case will be a factor in evaluating any aggressive therapy, however hormonal may prove to be the best and safest choice given your husband's history.
Best of Luck.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for that advice...we will look into Proton Beam Therapy. I am surprised the team did not suggest or consider that treatment. I would prefer some treatment along with hormone therapy as it is more curative, though, as you say, his history has to be taken into consideration.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

shs50 HB User

Hi Alison:
You're most welcome. The National Association of Proton Therapy (NAPT) has a website which gives more information on this form of radiation therapy.
There are only 7 operating Proton Beam centers in the U.S. due to the huge investment and operating expense of the giant reactors involved. The first and most experienced center is at Loma Linda Univ. in Loma Linda CA. The next and equally fine center is at the University of Florida in Jacksonvile and probably the most convenient to you. A third and equally outstanding facility is at the M.D Anderson Cancer Institute in Houston,TX. There are long waiting lists and selective screening for which patients will be accepted for treatment at each facility since not all P.C cases are considered good candidates.
Your team should be able to advise or find out and possibly refer you,although self referrals are also accepted. I'd imagine a referral from your team would get higher priority and/or quicker attention, however.
I assume that surgery is not considered an option since it was never mentioned.
Again the best of luck. Bob

Last edited by shs50; 04-27-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks again! I will certainly put this to the team, though a major concern might be insurance cover! I doubt our insurance here will cover the treatment. They may cover the palladium seed brachytherapy as it is a more established treatment. I tend to feel that the doctors would prefer my husband to only get hormone therapy because of his medical history.

Our oncologist had to remind him of the radiation enteritis and three hospital admissions he had during his radiotherapy treatment 7 years ago. He feels that any further radiation could have disastrous effects but that the team's suggestion of palladium seed insertion might have the least adverse effects. It is a risk and only my husband can be the one to decide what to do.

I appreciate your advice and information! Years ago, when he was first dx with rectal cancer, I got so much support from this board and later was able to encourage others who were starting their journey to recovery. It is a great board!

Alison

Old 04-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
(male)

viperfred HB User

A lot of misinformation about the CyberKnife.

< edited >

No radiotherapy option is proven to be better than any other.

Meet with a CyberKnife expert for their opinion

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-01-2010 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
(male)

viperfred HB User

CyberKnife insurance coverage is improving around the World.

In the US many patients are winning appeals. It the CyberKnife is the best option fight to get coverage.

Best of luck with what ever option is provided.

Closed Thread