It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
(male)

jeff82780 HB User
Worried about mom

hello, Im new here and decided to join in hope of support and maybe some answers. my mother was diagnosed with 3 benign meningioma brain tumors in the frontal area of the brain. 2 were big the other was small. This has been one hell of a ride and its really affecting me and the family She has her surgery on June 2 2010 to remove all 3 tumors. The surgery lasted a little over 8 hrs. After surgery she was out of it for about 7 days. They had the breathing tube in here and everything. We werent that worried at the time because about a month prior she was suffering from bad seizures. I believed they called it status epptilectus. The had to give her a propophol drip to stop them and she was out of it for about 2 weeks then. The day before the were gonna put a trach in she woke up. So being out for a week seemed normal. when she woke up she talked just a little bit, but slept a lot. After being up for about 4 days she went back to sleep of whatever you wanna call what is going on. It has been 3 weeks since and she is still not responding to commands or anything. The nurse' tell us the brain is healing and that is why she is not up yet. The weird thing is all her vitals are good and her breathing is at 98%. She moves all of her body parts abd even squeezes you hand if you hold it. Everything looks real good but she is not up yet. Couple days ago we thought foe sure was gonna get up. She has her eyes open for about an hour. but it was scary because it was a real blank stare. The nurse that her opening her eyes is a reflex? She also does shake a little. I was worried about that too but everyone tells me that this is common for a person who had brain surgery.
So I guess what i'm trying to figure out is it common for someone to be out of it for this long after serious brain surgery? Also is the shaking of the hands a common thing too. I'm just sick of everybody telling me that "everybody reacts different to brain surgery and her brain may take a little longer to recover. " i'M JUST REALLY SCARED! So any advice or input would be great.

P.S. WE do have an appointment with the neurosurgeon next thurs to see how she is doing.

P.S.S I also forgot to mention that the tumors were not invading the brain either. just pressing against it. The doc did 2 cat scans already and he said everything is looking real good.

Thanks, Jeff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
(female)

dhinkle HB User
Re: Worried about mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff82780 View Post
hello, Im new here and decided to join in hope of support and maybe some answers. my mother was diagnosed with 3 benign meningioma brain tumors in the frontal area of the brain. 2 were big the other was small. This has been one hell of a ride and its really affecting me and the family She has her surgery on June 2 2010 to remove all 3 tumors. The surgery lasted a little over 8 hrs. After surgery she was out of it for about 7 days. They had the breathing tube in here and everything. We werent that worried at the time because about a month prior she was suffering from bad seizures. I believed they called it status epptilectus. The had to give her a propophol drip to stop them and she was out of it for about 2 weeks then. The day before the were gonna put a trach in she woke up. So being out for a week seemed normal. when she woke up she talked just a little bit, but slept a lot. After being up for about 4 days she went back to sleep of whatever you wanna call what is going on. It has been 3 weeks since and she is still not responding to commands or anything. The nurse' tell us the brain is healing and that is why she is not up yet. The weird thing is all her vitals are good and her breathing is at 98%. She moves all of her body parts abd even squeezes you hand if you hold it. Everything looks real good but she is not up yet. Couple days ago we thought foe sure was gonna get up. She has her eyes open for about an hour. but it was scary because it was a real blank stare. The nurse that her opening her eyes is a reflex? She also does shake a little. I was worried about that too but everyone tells me that this is common for a person who had brain surgery.
So I guess what i'm trying to figure out is it common for someone to be out of it for this long after serious brain surgery? Also is the shaking of the hands a common thing too. I'm just sick of everybody telling me that "everybody reacts different to brain surgery and her brain may take a little longer to recover. " i'M JUST REALLY SCARED! So any advice or input would be great.

P.S. WE do have an appointment with the neurosurgeon next thurs to see how she is doing.

P.S.S I also forgot to mention that the tumors were not invading the brain either. just pressing against it. The doc did 2 cat scans already and he said everything is looking real good.

Thanks, Jeff

Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
(female)

dhinkle HB User
Wink Re: Worried about mom

Jeff
i too went through a brain tumor the size of a base ball. i'm 45 this was 2 years ago. i has headache for 3 years every day before i went in for a MRI. i was rushed back the same day becouse the radioligst said my brain was swelling and i shouldn't be driving and should be having sieziers. i had none of that, but had surgury 2 weeks later, in that 2 wks my brain had swelled even more and the Dr had to take the tumor out in pieces through a hole the size of a quarter, the surgury took 5 hours, an hour longer than planned. he came out and told my husband and kids that i would have to have physical therapy due to the damage caused by the surgury and tumor. every one prayed for me( 39 people, family and friends were in the waithing room) while i was still in ICU i convinced the Dr to remove the catheriter so i could get up and walk, shocked he examined me and i had full mobility, so he wrote the orders and i was able to get up on my own with no assistance and walk around the room, this was less than 15 hours after my surgury. i got off all medications in 3 months instead of 6, went to work in 6 weeks instead of 8. pray for your mom and "cast all your worries upon the Lord" he will never put mor on you than you can handle and will "never leave you or forsake you" there is power in prayer and i know that is what got me and my family through this. it has been 2 years now and i went for my 2 year MRI and it is still clear.
Debbie

Old 08-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
(male)

jeff82780 HB User

well the good new is my mom is finally up and somewhat alert. however i still am concerned that she is not talking. she does speak a littlle throughout the day to the nurses, but just a word here and there. She actually said her first sentence yesterday. So to she is getting better. The surgeon saw her couple of weeks ago and he said everything with the brain is coming along fine. He said that she is just taking a longer time to heal. iIt's just so frustrating! Her surgery was June 2nd!!! IShe also keeps getting infections that are also holding her back too.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
(female)

dhinkle HB User

I'm so glad to here there is some improvement! Sometimes it just takes a little longer, depending on where the tumor was located in the brain and how long it took to remove. I really hope and pray that the dr was able to remove all the tumor. I will pray for your moms recovery, God knows her name and is in controlhang in there, moms are tuffer than you think, it is just hard to see mom down when you are used to being taken care of by her. we have a special will that makes us strong for our children, God gives us strength my oldest son said I was tough as nails, but it was the nails that hung Jesus on the cross that got me through this, hang in there and just encourage your mom to maybe go one step further than she think she can and maybe one word more than she did yesterday, one step at a time, I won't say I know what you are going through, but I do know what your mom is going through. It's hard for us to be weak when we have had to be strong, hard to let somebody take care of us when we have been the ones doing the taking care of.Be patient and hang in there.OK.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
(female)

dhinkle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinkle View Post
I'm so glad to here there is some improvement! Sometimes it just takes a little longer, depending on where the tumor was located in the brain and how long it took to remove. I really hope and pray that the dr was able to remove all the tumor. I will pray for your moms recovery, God knows her name and is in controlhang in there, moms are tuffer than you think, it is just hard to see mom down when you are used to being taken care of by her. we have a special will that makes us strong for our children, God gives us strength my oldest son said I was tough as nails, but it was the nails that hung Jesus on the cross that got me through this, hang in there and just encourage your mom to maybe go one step further than she think she can and maybe one word more than she did yesterday, one step at a time, I won't say I know what you are going through, but I do know what your mom is going through. It's hard for us to be weak when we have had to be strong, hard to let somebody take care of us when we have been the ones doing the taking care of.Be patient and hang in there.OK.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
(male)

jeff82780 HB User

Thanks Dhinkle for the words of encouragement. The doc removed 3 tumors in total. 2 of them were the size of oranges. The operation took 8 1/2 hrs. The thing that somewhat bothers me is that this is taking so long! She has been in the hospital for 6 months!! and her brain surgery was on the 2nd of June and not much progress is being made. It is so frustrating! I have been praying along with the rest of the ones close to her.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
(female)

dhinkle HB User

Wow Jeff her tumors were way bigger than mine, no wounder she has had problems. Just remember her brain was pretty compact, and it does take some time for it to "fluff" back up and may not completly fill the void where the tumors were. But that don't mean she cant have total healing from the Lord. Believe me when I say that it is hard on your mom to see you go through watching her like this. As a mom of 4 that was hard for me to put my kids through this, we are suposed to be strong, the care givers, the fix any thing, and make every thing better, but this will bring your family closer, my son who was 13 at the time and the only one left @ home had to help out a lot. Of course we all live close to each other so the girls done meals and cleaned house and checked on me dailey. Now we find humor in it all and laugh @ the terrible hair cut the Dr gave me. (havent cut my hair since)
hang in there and any time you need to talk I'm here, and I understand. Just keep praying for your mom.OK

Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
(male)

jeff82780 HB User

The surgeon said that brain is comin along just fine. Im thinking that the infectiions she keeps getting are holding her back a lot. They have done numerous MRI'S on her. Mainly because she develpoed a bump on her head. They now know it is cerebral spinal fluid. They say that the body should eventually absorb it. Have you ever heard of anyone taking sos long to recover? thanks for listening. Its tough because nobody know what im going through.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
(female)

dhinkle HB User

I know you are worried, just keep faith. how old is your mom and how about you? i have a lot to tell you but i dont type that fast. and my sesion keeps running out becouse I'm going back and forth from one screen to this one. My youngest son was 13 when i went through my surgury he had to help with alot around the house. I cant say how long your mothers recovery will take. i rarely went to the Dr and really didn't know much about tumors. I stumbled on this web site when i was asked what the chances of my tumor coming back were so i was trying to research and find out. i feel like God may have led me to this site for you, so you know you are not alone. keep praying and encouraging your mom with just one more word one more step one more squeeze of the hand. Pray with her for Gods total healing. the Dr thought i would have to have physical theraphy but my family and friends prayed while i was in ICU and i had control of my hands and feet while i was in there, i was able to get up and walk. You should have seen the P.A. face when i asked to get uphe wouldn't write the orders to let me up with out the Dr examining me first....

Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
(male)

jeff82780 HB User

my mom is 68 im 29. My mom is my everything to me. I guess u can say im a mamma's boy. she has been sleeping all day today I pray everyday but no improvement in moms status. Maybe i gotta pray more.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #12
(female)

dhinkle HB User

You can never pray to much for somebody you love. The bible says to pray without ceasing. that doesn't mean you have to be on hands and knees 24-7.
pray with your heart and mind.
You are the same age as my oldest son. Don't worry to much about mom sleeping so much, the body makes repairs while you sleep.
I wish I could give you my whole testomy, I am @ work and flipping back and forth and sometimes my session runs out on this web site.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
(male)

jeff82780 HB User

my mom just caught a bloodsteam infection!!!!!!! what now

Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
(male)

jeff82780 HB User

mom just caught a bloodstream infection!!!! what now!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread