It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

marigoldgirl81 HB Usermarigoldgirl81 HB User
if you have reflux...go do yourself a favor and see a naturopathic dr

Well, i have been on this board for nearly a year now. Its been a year from hell if you look at my old posts. I saw 4 supposedly wonderful drs, was on a gazillion meds and somehow lost 40 lbs in ONE year, lots of tests and this was while on ppis, gaviscon, etc. When i got in the 90's and had to take a leave of absence from work i truly could not believe what was happening to me. In a desperate attempt and because i noticed my gallbladder problems, infections, extreme fatigue, severe reflux with ulcers in my throat all happened after they upped my prilosec dose, i sought out a naturopathic dr. Hindsight is always 20/20. He is saving my life. It is HARD work. I have been on a gluten free, dairy free, pureed foods for 3 months, etc. It won't be forever but until i am healed. I am just about weaned off of prilosec and so far, so good (i have tried to come off this like 3 times with horrible rebound prior to this)! I am going to be truly sickened if i had a mild case of acid reflux, was placed on these drugs before being told to try any lifestyle changes and it was actually these ppis killing me, i really am. I am a young mother of 1 that was very healthy before all of this. This has been a nightmare (still not out of the woods BUT i see some light now).

If you are on a ton of meds and still not getting better there is most likely a reason, it is very hard to sort through all of this info of natural cures, etc. I had tried acupuncture before this that did not work. This naturopathic dr says he sees sooooo many people like me that are having these problems and their meds are being upped and they are still sicker or have side effects like dangerous infections, ibs, etc. I highly recommend finding a good naturopathic dr and have them help you. This has been a puzzle and i was pretty knowledgable about supplements before this. Basically although my liver was fine on bloodwork, it was not fine and this dr has been giving me homeopathy BUT mainly diet to cleanse my system and once my liver starts to work more effectively my pancreas will come around and make more enzymes and food will stop fermenting, etc, etc....and for the first time in a year i have been seeing results There is alot more than that but just know acid reflux is a silent epidemic and had to share my story that ppi's were making me sicker this whole time when the drs were telling me i may need surgery, etc.

Please realize MOST people don't have enough acid which can also cause reflux. Just wanted to share my story. It wasn't one supplement that helped me but a WHOLE new view of that acid reflux is...its not our sphincters...it starts with the other organs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
(female)

Re: if you have reflux...go do yourself a favor and see a naturopathic dr

ps. I should add a good naturopathic dr. for digestive problems, be careful/ research other alternative health care. I think there are alot of good people out there but digestive problems can be so complicated that i best found relief with a ND. Just my two cents of what helped me since ths is a board for that and i've learned more from these boards than ANY of my western drs (i think they are amazing for emergency care, etc but they have no clue what they are doing to our bodies with these ppis). Also, if you are ever contemplating to come off a ppi, don't do it coldturkey!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
(female)

tryingtorelax HB User

Thank you! I have had mild, annyoing chest pain and acid reflux for 5 months now. I have had tests and pills and not getting better and no diagnosis. I hope I can find a good doc in my area that can help as well as yours has. My chiropractor just referred me to someone today actually. I stopped taking my prilosec 4 days ago and started on enzymes, probiotics, DGL & aloe vera juice. It seems like a lot but it's not BAD for me so I feel better. I would like this to go away as suddenly as it started. Just doesn't make sense - how can something go wrong out of the blue when I've been eating the same my whole life?

I am sorry you have had such a rough time and wish you luck & a speedy recovery! Keep us posted.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtorelax View Post
Thank you! I have had mild, annyoing chest pain and acid reflux for 5 months now. I have had tests and pills and not getting better and no diagnosis. I hope I can find a good doc in my area that can help as well as yours has. My chiropractor just referred me to someone today actually. I stopped taking my prilosec 4 days ago and started on enzymes, probiotics, DGL & aloe vera juice. It seems like a lot but it's not BAD for me so I feel better. I would like this to go away as suddenly as it started. Just doesn't make sense - how can something go wrong out of the blue when I've been eating the same my whole life?

I am sorry you have had such a rough time and wish you luck & a speedy recovery! Keep us posted.
Unfortunately GERD seems to be a chronic condition for most of us, and we need to learn to live with and manage it. It comes and goes and it may be caused by different factors in different people. I too use DGL, apple cider vinegar, calcium/magnesium and other natural remedies, resorting to traditional medication such an H2 blocker only when I am having a really bad day. I don't think PPI's are intended for long term use, even though some people may need to remain on them on a long term basis. I took Aciphex for three years and paid the price of loss bone density.

I agree with you on "it" not making sense. I am a fit and not overweight woman (125 lbs) who has eaten healthy most of her life. I did consume some alcohol and caffeine in moderation before, which I can no longer do, but I never overate or indulged in "bad" stuff. Not too many sweets or carbs. Heartburn came to me rather suddenly too, and has never left in three years now. I have good days and not so good days but the heartburn is always lurking if I step out of line or even if I don't sometimes.

It is likely that the only "cure" at this point in time is surgery. But I think many, if not all of us heartburn sufferers, can probably keep the heartburn under control with diet modifications and natural remedies.

Rose

Old 07-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
(female)

I agree, i have had bouts of gerd for years now but never as severe since i was put on ppis. I will say that i read up on all the natural remedies you speak of for gerd and my Naturopathic dr advised against the dgl and apple cider vinegar in my case and said we needed to tackle the real problem. The acupuncture clinic i visited before him last winter is whom told me about dgl and apple cider vinegar as well as slippery elm bark...although none of them did much of anything for me.

I view digestive problems soooooooo much differently since seeing this dr as well as talking at length with my husbands cousin whom is also an out of state ND. Ppi's and H2 blockers, antacids, etc. are all very hard on our organs. I definitely do not think surgery is the "cure" for this by any means. There are many people on these boards whom still have problems after having a fundplication as well as many people whom have their gallbladders out to help their digestive problems (except for those with many stones/infection-that is an emergency situation) whom also are not cured of their digestive ills and find they still have phantom gallbladder pain, bile in their stomach, etc. My own western dr said if all else fails with me (in March) that i could consider this surgery BUT that it is not always a successful surgery, has many downsides, etc. He was not a big fan of the surgery for reflux. I am not saying it is not for every single person...but i am finding it hard to believe that after how many years of humans all of a sudden millions of our sphincters are becoming weak. I just never bought that theory and how they are detoxing my body/radical diet is proving to me that this is not only my sphincter involved.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:24 AM   #6
(female)

tryingtorelax HB User

marigold, did your naturopathic doc test you for food sensitivies? My chiro was telling me this doc she referred me to has a "muscle test" that identifies food sensitivies and that even foods i think are healthy may be causing a real problem, like soy milk and wheat. my problem was I was never diagnosed with anything - what tests did you have and what diagnosis were you given when you were having your problems? Thanks! Kim

rosebloom, hello fellow ohioan! i am struggling here because i have pain but no diagnosis. what test did you have that diagnosed your gerd? surprisingly, i took a gas-x yesterday and had no chest pain all day. it's so weird what works on certain days

Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I personally would not go to any doctor who performs "muscle testing" for allergies, nor would I go to any health professional who recommends it. There's simply no evidence that it works, nor is there any reason to think it might. For one thing, reactions to a food allergen often take several minutes or even hours to show up. Immediate reactions tend to be quite severe and obvious.

If you think you have food allergies, either try an elimination diet or go to an allergist and have a RAST blood test.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
(female)

tryingtorelax HB User

Well, we are all different I suppose! Trying something that may end up telling me something I don't already know is worth a shot to me. It's so funny to me how resistant people are to some alternative methods and most of those people are worse off than me. I do still spend time with my regular docs but all they want to do is throw prescription meds at me and I'm getting tired of that. I have switched to natural remedies and have been off my PPI for a week now. I already see an allergist and have been tested and know that I don't have any big food allergies. I will talk to him about that blood test now that I'm having these digestive issues. thanks And I will be keeping my chiro-she's great.

Last edited by tryingtorelax; 07-26-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
(female)

I was not tested for food allergies at either place, i did ask but i was told that when most bodies are restored to how they should be functioning food allergies disappear...they are not as common as suspected is what he told me. I was given a bloodtest by my wetsren dr for celiacs that came back highly unlikely that i am sensitive to gluten but i was told and have read that food allergy bloodwork, etc are very hit/miss. So, my point is my ND doesn't seem to think that is at the root of my problem here. I am on a gluten free and dairy free diet as ease to my digestion whilst he heals other things going on with me. I have been told that i most likely will one day be able to eat gluten foods and dairy again, whether thats a year from now or two is hard to tell he said. I am definitely making progress, it is slooooooow...the natural way. I have learned i wasted alot of time trying to diagnose myself/treat myself with home remedies....my problem was much different than i suspected. So, sometimes when people come on here saying that certain remedies didn't work for them (example myself this winter) it was b/c i did not know what to look for as the underlying problem.

I am not familar with muscle testing for allergies so i have no comment there BUT you would be surprised what this ND has been able to tell from my pupils, tongue and fingernails. Without me ever giving a hint...just came in with digestive problems and anxiety, he was able to tell many of my problems started with epstein barr that i had many years ago (i did) and he even saw an old adage in my left pupil (on my brain) from an old concussion...he said it didn't mean anything, he was just noting it to his secretary...i did have a concussion on that side of my head in 2000. So....i am more careful of dismissing "natural" methods but like i said find a GOOD Naturopathic Dr. After my entire situationa dn MANY western drs, i truly don't feel, i KNOW they are controlled by the drug companies, their insurance goes up if they try to recoomend anything else than what the "new norm" is. I think we have incredible emergency care, etc, AMAZING but....what is happening with how we don't prevent, we just cover up symptoms...which is all ppis and H2 blockers do, is not right in my opinion. He said sometimes he spots tumors that show in the eye (for entire body) that are so small mris, catscans have missed.....its interesting. I can't say i completely understand it BUT it is helping is the bottom line.

Best wishes!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtorelax View Post
marigold, did your naturopathic doc test you for food sensitivies? My chiro was telling me this doc she referred me to has a "muscle test" that identifies food sensitivies and that even foods i think are healthy may be causing a real problem, like soy milk and wheat. my problem was I was never diagnosed with anything - what tests did you have and what diagnosis were you given when you were having your problems? Thanks! Kim

rosebloom, hello fellow ohioan! i am struggling here because i have pain but no diagnosis. what test did you have that diagnosed your gerd? surprisingly, i took a gas-x yesterday and had no chest pain all day. it's so weird what works on certain days
I had an endoscopy which was "normal" but the doctor said I had GERD if I had heartburn. I think I was diagosed simply by my symptoms. I am not always sure docs know what they are talking about. I do believe I have GERD, though, I do have the classic symptoms, including the heartburn. It's taken me a long time to accept this is a chronic condition and I am going to have to learn to manage it.

Rose

Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marigold: I have not found a naturopath that anyone can recommend and I don't want to just try to pick someone off the phone book because that can be expensive and dangerous.

I have eliminated all dairy, coffee, alcohol and anything I think can be an irritant from my diet. I eat lots of vegetables, but I have to be careful with fruit. Something as healthy as a banana gave me horrible heartburn a few days ago. It is a frustrating process because healthy foods (banana) can give me heartburn.

I would love to find the underlying cause for me and hope I do someday. You are fortunate to have found someone you can trust who is taking the time to sort through all this with you. Keep us posted. Rose

Last edited by moderator2; 08-01-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: please try using the Quick Reply button instead of quoting

Old 07-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
(female)

Definitely understand Rose. I did pick this ND out of a phonebook as he is like the only ND within quite a distance around my town. Before him i went to an accupuncture clinic with NO ND's and i felt they weren't as knowledgable. So, i definitely took a chance. They are having me do lots of alkaline fruits and vegs and bananas are alkaline but apparently are hard on digestion he said so they have been having me watch those.

Best wishes guys. I like how we all put our heads together to see what works best for everyone.

ps. I am currently at every other day on 20 mg prilosec. I was originally at 40 mg every day.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigoldgirl81 View Post
Definitely understand Rose. I did pick this ND out of a phonebook as he is like the only ND within quite a distance around my town. Before him i went to an accupuncture clinic with NO ND's and i felt they weren't as knowledgable. So, i definitely took a chance. They are having me do lots of alkaline fruits and vegs and bananas are alkaline but apparently are hard on digestion he said so they have been having me watch those.

Best wishes guys. I like how we all put our heads together to see what works best for everyone.

ps. I am currently at every other day on 20 mg prilosec. I was originally at 40 mg every day.
I love bananas and consider them a very healthy fruit with all that fiber and magnesium, but unfortunately they give me heartburn. Not sure why but I have had to give them up. Funny thing, I can eat grapes, strawberries and other fruits that are traditionally more acidic, but don't give me heartburn.

I am sure there is a logical explanation for why these work and others don't or why bananas can give me heartburn, but I have to add them to my list of no-nos.

Rose

Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
(female)

Flyerfan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigoldgirl81 View Post

I have an appointment with an ND this coming Friday. This is my first time so I hope she can help me.

BTW, thanks for replying to my other thread (I do have questions for you over there if you don't mind) Been trying for months to come off the PPI's but I keep going back because I'm not sure how to go about it.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #15
(female)

kimmmy88 HB User

I hope things work out for you. I just found out in July, I have GERD, and before that, Gall Stones. As soon as I learned of gall stones, I seeked out a natural way of healing, but with the Hiatal Hernia I have, I needed to start taking Prilosec, it did help. I still deal with shortness of breath. I have learned aloe vera juice is suppose to help with healing the throat, but I have not tried that yet. Doctors keep saying shortness of breath does not happen with GERD, I beg to differ. Again, I hope all goes well with you, take care!

Closed Thread