It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
(female)

chrissyd HB User
high prolactin levels

My doctor just ordered a brain MRI with contrast because my prolactin came back high. Two other hormones came back low normal so they are within the normal range but on the low side. Not sure if that could be causing the problems. With your high level so you have any side effects such as chronic fatigue. I have it so bad I am almost completely bed ridden and only get out of bed to use the bathroom or shower and when I shower it leaves me very very weak and shaking. Can you please tell me if this is a side effect that you have as well and any other side effects you have. My brother died of brain cancer so now I am scared to death about the results of the MRI. It is worse because I get this information durinng the month when his birthday is and he would have been 48 this month had he lived. He died at the age of 27. A lot of cancers run in my family and as scared as I am I am trying my best to stay positive. Your answers about fatigue and other side effects from the high level would be a great help to me. How do they even treat this? Please reply ASAP as I am going out of my mind wondering. Thank you and I hope you are doing well.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-14-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
(male)

wjmerritt HB User
Re: Extremely High Prolactin Levels!

Chrissy... High prolactin levels are usually due to a pitutary tumor (prolactinoma)... That is what the MRI is most likely looking for. I get an MRI every year for that. Those pitutary gland tumors are typically non-cancerour and treatable with bromocriptine. I've been living with mine for 6+ years now and it has shrunk 50% in size... <edited>

Ohh I had an episode they called a pitutary stroke... felt like a real bad flue where I threw up and was terrribly dizzy... Lasted for days and later found out the tumor burst into the sinus cavaty...

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-08-2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
(female)

chrissyd HB User
Thumbs up Re: Extremely High Prolactin Levels!

Thank you for your response. Your answer is what I was afraid of but if it turns out to be a tumor I am glad they are normally not cancerous. Is severe fatigue one of your symptoms? The testing was started because of the severe fatigue issue that started a few months ago and has gotten worse as time passes. Right now I am taking 5 mg over the maximum dose per day of amphetamines. All they do for me is keep me awake during the day rather than sleeping my life away and I feel a little more alert but the fatigue is still bad enough that I am in bed all the time on a laptop because I am too weak to get up other than to go to the rest room and shower. When I shower it wears me out so bad. It leaves me so weak that my whole body trembles. My husband is a wonderful man and takes good care of me. He even cooks and brings it to me because I also have no appetite what so ever and would starve to death if he didn't. He knows thatif he goes through the trouble of cooking for me that I will at least eat some of it even if the dog gets the rest. I have always been a big girl, very large boned and have always had to struggle to lose weight. This is the first time in my life I am struggling to gain it. I am at a lower weight right now than my doctor wants. I keep losing. I lose a pound every day or two. Sometimes I'll gain 2 pounds and get excited but the next day I've lost that 2 pounds plus another one. I was anorexic in my teens but not now. I already have a progressive disability and now this on top of it all. My MRI is tomorrow and I will be on pins and needles waiting for the results. I wish all the people in the world had a husband or wife that loved them as much as mine does and will do anything they have to to take care of you. I don't know what I would do without him. He has to watch me in the shower in case I fall because I also have a problem with dizzy spells and vision. The vision problem is not the same as others have described here though. With mine I see double and then it completely dissapears and I have to look away and back to refocus. Not sure if that is a symptom either. Please let me know if fatigue is an issue for you as well or the dizzy spells and vision problem. I hope you are doing well today and wish you the best. I am new to this and know very little about it and am researching the web for answers. Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-08-2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
(male)

wjmerritt HB User

Your most welcome! If your tumor is large enough it will push on the back of the eyes and cause vision problems. Do you get strange head aches... Feels like they are on the surface of your forehead? I get a field of vision test every year also to double check, along with the MRI and prolactine test. Since I started on Bromocriptime my prolactine levels have dropped to normal and the head aches gone away as the tumor shrunk... The MRI will tell the story. The other form of treatment is surgeory but I chose the bromocriptine first... <edited>

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-08-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #5
(female)

chrissyd HB User

wjmerritt;

Well the brain MRI with contrast was done today. I should have the results by Fridsy. I'll keep you posted as to what it shows. Thank you for the imput. Hope you are well.

Chrissy

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-09-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
(male)

wjmerritt HB User

Thanks Chrissy!! I'm good and hope you can resolve all your issues!

Warren

Old 09-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
(female)

chrissyd HB User

Thank you for your input. I'm supposed to have the results tomorrow. Hope so. Am on pins and needles waiting.

Chrissy

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-09-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
(male)

wjmerritt HB User

So how did it go, Chrissy?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
(female)

chrissyd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmerritt View Post
So how did it go, Chrissy?
The brain MRI was negative. No tumors, no lesions, no nothing. It is great news and I'm so happy but I am also very dissapoited because not only am I back at square one again but now I also have to find out why the prolactin level is high. The only other causes I have found during the massive amount of research I have done over the last few days is pregnamt or breast feeding and neither applies to me. I had my uterus removed almost 2 years ago due to severe hemorrhaging so bad I became anemic and had to be put on iron. A few places mentioned that low vitamins and minerals could contribute and I barely eat as I have no appetite and for the first time in my life I'm struggling to gain weight instead of losing. I've lost too much according to my doctor. Another posibility I read could have something to do with the fact that I was annorrhesic when I was in my teens. I have always been extremely independant, never let anyone do anything for me and have frustrated my husband over it because I won't let him do anything for me and I take care of everyone else. Now I have no choice. The severe fatigue has kept me in bed for most of the last 2 months with my family waiting on me hand and foot and I hate it. I get up to go to the bath room or shower and don't have to leave my room. Just taking a shower leaves me so weak my whole body trembles and my legs feel like jello. I want my life back. I can't live like this much longer. I'm not the type to sit back and feel sorry for myself nor do I want any pity. Just not the type of person I am. I'm strong willed, pig headed, stubborn, independant and have one hell of a temper when provoked. It must be the italian and irish in me. My fuse is a lot longer than it used to be but I'm running out of patients. I see my doctor on the 23 rd for the results of a bunch more blood tests including Epstein-Barr. I'll let you know how it goes. Send me a message that night because I'll forget. My memory is not so good either these days. I hope you are doing well and continue to improve. I appreciate you remembering and writing to me. It means a lot to me and reminds me I'm not alone with this. Have a great night.

Chrissy

Closed Thread