It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
(male)

jamie896 HB User
Please help, girlfriend was in drug induced coma.

Hi all,
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Two weeks ago my girlfriend "Donna" was in a serious car crash. Broken leg, arm, shattered pelvis, jaw, spleen, split liver but more seriously a TBI ( traumatic brain injury).

She was in a drug induced coma for two weeks, they brought her off the drugs on saturday and within a few hours she was awake.
I spent all day with her talking, laughing and playing her her favourite music (also did this throughout the induced coma).

It was simply amazing seeing her awake, but am concerned as her eyes looked almost lifeless. She couldnt focus on anything and is just looking down. The nurses say this is typical and could last a week...?

Can anyone else please please help/reassure me with this experience?

This is simply the worst time of my life, I feel so helpless and afraid for her.

The nurses say she is coming on leaps and bounds but I just dont know.

Its monday today and she is still the same.

Thanks for any replies in advance.
Jamie.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
(female)

shipscook1 HB User
Re: Please help, girlfriend was in drug induced coma.

I have always been an upbeat person. Last year had two brain surgeries--small tumors, but still involved be under for two surgeries because of the locations.

A friend had a stroke which called for surgery--was under for four hours and had an induced coma. She too has always been a person with lots of energy.

These surgeries really knock the wind out of your sails. I was Seattle after both surgeries for several weeks each time. Was relaxing in hotel, walking lots, but just did not wish company.

Same thing with my friend with stroke--was kept in coma for two weeks--took her some time to get back to herself.

Hang tough, she will be back to her old self!! I still seem to need more downtime? It has been ten months since second surgery?

Nan

Last edited by shipscook1; 09-21-2010 at 04:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Please help, girlfriend was in drug induced coma.

Hi Jamie896! A relative of mine was in a motorcycle accident they found him "upside down against a telephone pole" He lost so much blood another relative who saw him briefly at the emegency room in an area hospital thought he would die. They lifeflighted him into a large city hospital and gave him several units of blood. The doctors said it was touch and go and they told us they thought he might not make it. The Intensive care unit nurse told me he had never seen so many blood chemistries wrong and a person still live and I thought he was a goner. Well we set up a prayer chain in our church and he lived. He was unconscious for many days and in the intensive care I think close to 60 or 90 days. I can't remember if it was 2 months or 3. They had him on a lot
of meds and later he came out with his brain intact and seemed to have not had any true brain damage at all. He had several surgeries and had a torn liver his spleen removed, I think a kidney removed, part of his large intestine removed his testicles removed His leg was shattered and I cant remember if they both were or not but he had a permanent limp and serious permanent pain. He was on narcotics for pain control for longer than we expected and I worried that he would become addicted to them and warned him about it. He said yes but its painful. I said he would end up with more problems if he continued it so I told him some people learn to live with it and not do any drugs at all so they end up with less health problems in the future. A few short years later he died from an unexpected heart attack. (he also smoked and ate a lot of fatty foods. Before his accident I told him that if he continued to use the motorcycle that maybe one day he would be in a serious motorcycle accident and die because there is no metal between you and whatever you are hitting. He said well we all have to die of something anyway. I said well sometimes people don't die and they are very seriously injured but he wanted to do it anyway and asked me not to bother him about it anymore. After the accident in my presence he said, Well Dad I guess no more motorcycle right? The other brothers also stopped their motorcycle use after that. So I tell others in the hopes that maybe a life will be saved Have a nice day and God bless you with a happy eternal life.

Closed Thread