It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
(female)

eyelure HB User
anesthesia and hairloss

i have recently benn under general anesthetic...and my hair has been falling out like crazy...has anyone else had similar symptoms following surgery. Any ideas what I can do to stop this hairloss. Its really getting me down

Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #2
(female)

nannydee24 HB User
Re: anesthesia and hairloss

I recently had surgery for a pituitary brain tumor. I was in the operating room for about 5 hours. It was not cancer as most of these tumors are not. My operation was in June of this year and my hair started to fall out in August and is still falling out. I am 68 years old with very thick and long hair. There were days when I bet over 200 hairs fell out. I can notice the difference and yes it bothers me. The doctors say that the shock of the operation and the anathesia has caused the hair to go into telegan efferlim I believe it is called. (shedding of hair) cycle. I have no idea when it will stop. I am on a lotion that is used after shampooing. Not sure it is working yet. I am also on medication to lower my prolactin level which was very high before surgery. You are not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
(female)

eyelure HB User

Hi, thanks for reply...I hope you are recovering well. I was under genera for a bilateral bunion operation and i'm in my twenties. I think i was under for around 3 hours. I was looosing hair anyway over the last few years...female pattern hairloss...but now the hairloss is really some next level. Im thinking of trying topical minoxidil...but not sure...what lotion are you applying?

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-24-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 10-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
(female)

nannydee24 HB User

I went to the dermatologist because I was not sure what was going on? He prescribed a lotion that is applied when I was my hair and it is still wet. 15 to 20 drops over the top of the head. It is called Triamcinolone 01% I have been loosing hair now like I said since the middle of August. I still am. I am not sure as yet, but I think it is starting to slow down. I am keeping a close watch. I have heard of minoxidil.

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-25-2010 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread