It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
(female)

Altari HB UserAltari HB User
Mass on brain stem

My grandma is en route to a more advanced facility in the city.

She's 83 with a fairly extensive medical history. But she's in good health (per the labs the ER ran yesterday). I took her in to the ER when she became disoriented, almost-senile and lost all motor functions. This was sudden, going from "a little slow" to resembling advanced Alzheimers in less than 12 hours. She's usually quite active, chipper and quick-witted, but now she can't really communicate. This morning's MRI showed a 2.1cm mass on the left side of her brain stem, I believe at the base. (I want to say "interauditory canal" but my mom and I were a bit overwhelmed.)

I don't know when we'll hear from the neurologist at the new hospital. The neurosurgeon here said the hospital isn't advanced enough to treat her. The neurologist said standard treatment is biopsy, radiation to shrink and surgical removal. The on-call doctor said this is a downright rare situation.

No one will tell u what we're looking at. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? The local docs were "positive" about the situation, but I'm worried they're shifting responsibility for breaking bad news to the more advanced hospital. If we should start preparing for the possibility she won't pull through, I wish someone would tell us now...

Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Mass on brain stem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari View Post
My grandma is en route to a more advanced facility in the city.

She's 83 with a fairly extensive medical history. But she's in good health (per the labs the ER ran yesterday). I took her in to the ER when she became disoriented, almost-senile and lost all motor functions. This was sudden, going from "a little slow" to resembling advanced Alzheimers in less than 12 hours. She's usually quite active, chipper and quick-witted, but now she can't really communicate. This morning's MRI showed a 2.1cm mass on the left side of her brain stem, I believe at the base. (I want to say "interauditory canal" but my mom and I were a bit overwhelmed.)

I don't know when we'll hear from the neurologist at the new hospital. The neurosurgeon here said the hospital isn't advanced enough to treat her. The neurologist said standard treatment is biopsy, radiation to shrink and surgical removal. The on-call doctor said this is a downright rare situation.

No one will tell u what we're looking at. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? The local docs were "positive" about the situation, but I'm worried they're shifting responsibility for breaking bad news to the more advanced hospital. If we should start preparing for the possibility she won't pull through, I wish someone would tell us now...
The experience I know about is not that particular type of surgery. However I can tell you that in searching for a hospital that some are definately better than others. If you look at the top hospitals of the nation some are rated better than others for various conditions. A local small hospital can have a rating of one while one at a distance may be rated at 4.5 and may mean a world of difference to the patient. Hope this helps, research may give a person an edge if done properly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

I will offer you this.. My sisters grandson was discovered to have a tumor on his brain stem. The tumor itself had a cyst on it and the cyst ruptured.. They did surgery and removed what they could but could not get all of it out. They did radiation on what was left and he did chemo. They watched it close and what was left had shrunk half it's size. Almost 2 years later, MRI showed it is growing again. Just last week, they used the cyber knife to get what they could and he will do chemo again. His tumor is a glioblastoma so they are just hoping this latest treatment will buy him more time, they know this is not a cure for him. He is young, mid 20's. Knowing what kind it is, is important! Meningioma's are not bad ones, glioblastoma are bad from what I have read.. (I have a meningioma)

Old 11-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

Altari HB UserAltari HB User

Thanks, Lulu.

We've had quite some updates in the last week. The doctors at the new hospital said this is a "schwannoma" or "auditory neuroma." So, it explains why she's gone deaf in one ear. Nothing else.

We're back at square one. They're going to hold off on the surgery until she's better and she can decide for herself.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi have you asked what will happen to her if the thing grows bigger and she is never able to decide for herself? Who makes her decisions for her if she can't? Is her husband her proxy?

Closed Thread