It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

firedancer623 HB User
What are the chances of two dr's missing a brain tumor?

Im probably being a paranoid mom, but my 7 yr old son has had a droopy eyelid with random twitching for the past week. He's been seen by his pediatrician who did a few neurological tests (balancing, etc) and then again by an opthamologist who said he looks fine and diagnosed him with a weak eyelid do to overuse in that eye. Im not convinced he's fine so I pushed for an MRI and it's to be done in 10 days. Would it be possible for both his doctors to miss a tumor? He has no other real symptoms though he isn't very coordinated on his left side (can't balance as long as right, hop on left leg very well, etc..) but otherwise seems like a healthy 7 yr old. Please convince me he's okay!!!!! Thanks..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: What are the chances of two dr's missing a brain tumor?

It's a good idea to have the MRI to put your mind at rest, so good for you to push it. I know of a boy whose seemed to have problems with his right leg when he was 12, and the doctors said it was a pinched nerve and sent him for physio. It progressed and they still said it wasn't much, until he couldn't use his right arm either. It was a brain tumor, diagnosed almost a year after his mother originally took him to the doctor. It's not that they miss it, it's that they don't look at symptoms and think "Brian tumor!" -- they work towards that. By insisting on the MRI, you'll move that process faster to diagnosis.

It maybe very well be that your son has nothing, but at least the MRI will show you that for sure. Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User

Firedancer, Is the eye problem on the left side also as his uncordinated side? There may be a possibility that he may have nerv damage or even a lazy eye. As far as the uncordinated side of your son's body,there may also be a urge to have his equilibrium checked by a ear Dr. just to be safe and rule out all the possibilitys. I hope my comments have helped you and your son on this matter and hope you keep us updated.....Good luck to you both and God bless!

Old 01-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
(female)

Jul2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer623 View Post
Im probably being a paranoid mom, but my 7 yr old son has had a droopy eyelid with random twitching for the past week. He's been seen by his pediatrician who did a few neurological tests (balancing, etc) and then again by an opthamologist who said he looks fine and diagnosed him with a weak eyelid do to overuse in that eye. Im not convinced he's fine so I pushed for an MRI and it's to be done in 10 days. Would it be possible for both his doctors to miss a tumor? He has no other real symptoms though he isn't very coordinated on his left side (can't balance as long as right, hop on left leg very well, etc..) but otherwise seems like a healthy 7 yr old. Please convince me he's okay!!!!! Thanks..
I'm not a doctor but I just heard on TV the other day that in my city alone, one child every day has a serious stroke -- not meaning to scare you, but I'm happy to see you are going for the MRI which should rule this out. If it doesn't find anything, maybe he should have his carotid artery checked to make sure nothing is stopping the blood from getting to the brain.

Closed Thread