It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
(female)

meljfin HB User
CT scan needed for possible brain mass and I am scared, please advise.

Hi,
I have been having a right temple headache on and off for about 6weeks, along with a feeling of pressure behind my eye. Also a sharp pain in my temple or top of my head when bending / sneezing / coughing. The headache comes and goes and isn't very painful but I am aware that it is there. Sometimes I will have no headache until I sneeze or cough or bend and that triggers it.
My GP initially said it was congestion and told me to take painkillers etc.. I went back to see her today and she said it was probably congestion but the pressure pain in my head when bending / sneezing was a worry and could be a mass in my brain. She has referred me for a CT scan. I googled brain tumours and masses and have no other symptons, no nausea or vomiting, loss of memory, concentration, numbness, trouble with speech etc...Funnily enough I mentioned some pain in my left ear from time to time and down my left side of the neck etc and she hasn't even bothered to examine this.
I had an eye exam just when this all started and it was fine. I also visited a chiropractor about a week before my first headache and had some neck adjustments and am thinking it could still be related to that.
I am a young mum with three small children, who emmigrated to another country and have no family around me and I am scared. Please can anyone offer advice. Does this sound like a brain mass?
Thank you
Melanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: CT scan needed for possible brain mass and I am scared, please advise.

Don't freak out just yet. Coughing, sneezing, bending over and straining to go to the bathroom(bowel movement) all increase the pressure in your brain....it's normal. But if it triggers a headache that stays, you need to rule out any problems. Normally, you'd have other symptoms too.

I get the CT and wait to see what it shows. Most of the time it turns out to be a stress related headache but you have to check before giving that diagnosis. You do have little kids so you do have lots of stress!

I got a pituitary tumor after my second child and had severe all over headaches but the main thing was high hormone levels in my blood. And it went away all by itself with no surgery. Didn't even need the usual hormone treatment that normally brings them down in size. So don't worry...it's not always the bad thing you might think it is.

Hang in there and wait for the CT and then let me know what it says. Thinking of having 3 little ones gives me a headache just thinking about it. I bet it's minor or stress but I'm here for you when you get the results.

gentle hugs..................Jenny(grew up in Montreal)

Closed Thread