It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
(male)

cincyman78 HB User
Is jerking at night a sign?

I notice right before I fall asleep my legs will jerk or my shoulder will. It doesn't happen during the day, just when I am trying to sleep. Thank you.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
(female)

faith727 HB User
Re: Is jerking at night a sign?

Do you fall asleep during/after the jerking? I'm no expert and don't want to scare you but it could be a type of seizure so please ask your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
(male)

cincyman78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith727 View Post
Do you fall asleep during/after the jerking? I'm no expert and don't want to scare you but it could be a type of seizure so please ask your doctor.
The night before last it happened and kept me up all night. Last night I eventually fell asleep. Maybe "jerk" is a bad way to put it.. Spasm I guess is more accurate.. Only happens when I am trying to fall asleep

Old 04-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

cryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB Usercryingforever HB User

I would just like to say i have full body jerks sometimes its like i have been shocked (when falling asleep) and i researched it all over the internet and apparently its normal and nothing to worry about. Its just the nervs that are spasming. Please have a read to ease your worrys. Apparently it is very common and not threatening.

If it was a seizure it wouldnt just happen at night , it would happen anytime and anywhere. Day or night.

Last edited by cryingforever; 04-12-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
(female)

dupee1 HB User

I have the same thing. Mine is caused by anxiety. I also suffer with depression and take antidepressants but that controls it.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
(male)

scstanel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyman78 View Post
I notice right before I fall asleep my legs will jerk or my shoulder will. It doesn't happen during the day, just when I am trying to sleep. Thank you.
I think it is something normal. This seems to happen to me from time to time as well and I also have a friend who seems to make weird sounds and move just before falling asleep. He has had that for years with no other problems. I think the brain somehow realizes that it's falling asleep and attempts to get in touch with different parts of the body by sending a quick impulse.

If you are still worried, the best thing would be to see a doctor who specializes in sleep disorders and ask his opinion.

Take care!

Old 06-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
(male)

lancenorm HB User

I had an almond sized tumor removed from the center of my brain last November, in late May I started to experience the same kind of seizures, just when I was laying down and just in my left arm and leg. I went into the hospital and got an MRI, just in case there was any bleeding, there wasn't any thank God. They then gave me a shot of activan and my seizures stopped immediately, since then I have been prescribed a daily dose of Lorazapem and that seems to do the trick. No more seizure activity, and my brain seems to clear when I take it. It works for me, but you should consult with a doctor to find what works for you.

Closed Thread