It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

faith727 HB User
How did you know?

How did you find out you had a brain tumor? What symptoms did you experience and what tests did you have done afterwards? I've been having bad headaches, random sleepiness, nausea, and weird sensations in my head/eye so doctor ordered a CT scan on Friday. Until then I'm driving myself crazy with worry Words of advice/experience please! Thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
(male)

john30332 HB User
Re: How did you know?

i had terrible headaches for about a week. they got bad to the point of throwing up. i also would sometimes get dizzy. i finally went to the doctor when i began have motor skills problems - i.e. trouble walking, or picking things up. the GP said i clearly had serious neurological events going on and sent me to a neurologist. the neurologist ordered an MRI right away. four days later i was under the knife having a golf-ball sized tumor (GBM-IV) removed from behind my right eye. i was told it wasn't the tumor, but mostly the associated swelling that caused most of my symptoms.
i think the only way to know for sure if there is something in there is to see it in black and white, on an MRI film. even then, if there is something showing, it isn't necessarily cancer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
(female)

faith727 HB User

Thanks for the reply John, and sorry to hear you had to go through all that! Did it only take one MRI to diagnose you? I had my first brain CT scan last week and results came back "normal", which was a relief but wondering if CT scans sometimes miss things and if MRIs are better. Still having headaches, vision blur, nausea but hoping it's just stress/anxiety so trying therapy now.

Last edited by faith727; 03-25-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
(male)

aa23 HB User

Hey, you should definietly get an MRI done. I am having these symptoms, got my MRI report which is not normal indicating some problem in my parietal lobe of the brain. Dont really know what it is yet. Going to the neurologist tomorrow. Hope all goes well with you.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
(male)

john30332 HB User

faith,
a 'normal' CT is a good start. i think these doctors are quite good at assessiong what they see. i'm afraid i really don't know the comparative effectiveness of CT vs. MRI. yes, it only took one MRI to find the tumor. if you could see it you would understand. the tumor was so large it was hard to miss. along with the tumor was a lot of visual swelling. it was so large and so advanced they wanted to send me directly to the hospital to have surgery; but they couldn't find anyone to do it on such short notice. i imagine in my case the CT would have shown it as well. i have had 3 reoccurances that were all quite small. the first did not show on the CT but was clear on the MRI. i know the MRI is expensive, and i am no doctor, but it seems to me like it is worth doing for peace of mind. as a point of clarity - i wasn't fully diagnosed with GBM until a biopsy was done on the tumor that was removed. the surgeon told me later that he was pretty sure what it was by the images, but wouldn't dare hazard a guess without an actual biopsy.
hope that helps.
john

Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
(female)

faith727 HB User

Thanks John, glad they were able to catch abnormalities early in your MRI. I'm just wondering if maybe the CT scan misses things that aren't large, although my headaches feel like there's something huge swelling inside. I might still request an MRI to put my mind at ease but if the doctors think it's all just anxiety I'll take their word for it.

aa23, sorry to hear your MRI shows some problems, has your doctor discussed them with you yet? Hope it's nothing serious, please keep updating & take care

Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
(female)

waitamin06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith727 View Post
How did you find out you had a brain tumor? What symptoms did you experience and what tests did you have done afterwards? I've been having bad headaches, random sleepiness, nausea, and weird sensations in my head/eye so doctor ordered a CT scan on Friday. Until then I'm driving myself crazy with worry Words of advice/experience please! Thanks
i started having seizures they started out petite at the beginning and then got worse i was 12 and the tumor was in my temprol lobe.Had ekg, mri ,cat scan i am now 32 i am very lucky!

Last edited by waitamin06; 09-05-2011 at 05:25 AM.

Closed Thread