It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
(female)

Traceagogo HB User
MRI report

Can anyone help me decipher my MRI report. I don't see my neurologist for another 5 weeks and it is driving me crazy.

FINDINGS:
Review of the CT scan shows a 10x4mm focal peripheral lesion in the lateral aspect of the anterior right middle cranial fossa with Hounsfield Units of -70 (Hounsfield Units of intraorbital fat -77 and of sphenoid sinus air -400) compatible with a tiny lipoma. No other fat density lesion is detected. In addition, an ill-defined hypodensity of 10x4mm is present in the left basal ganglia. There is no calcification within it and no other dystrophic calcificatin within the supra or infratentorial brain.

The 10 x 8mm focal lesion in the superolateral anterior right middle cranial fossa appears extraaxial with slight mass effect on the adjacent gyrus and bright on T1, compatible with small extraaxial lipoma as suspected. A large left perivascular space in the left basal ganglia likely accounts for the ill-defined hypodensity there on CT.

Ventricles, sulci and basal cisterns are within normal limits. Intracranial arteries and venous sinuses flow voids appear normal.

MRA shows no aneurysm, stenosis or vascular anomaly. MRV shows no venous sinus or intracerebral venous occlusion. Diffusion is not restricted. Grey/white matter differentiation is preserved. The hippocampi and limbic system appears normal.

CONCLUSION:
Right anterior middle cranial fossa lipoma. No calcification, cortical dysplasia, grey matter heterotopia or abnormal dystrophic or congenital calcification is detected. Large perivascular space in the region of ill-defined hypodensity on CT in the left basal ganglia.

It all sounds like double dutch to me but I can't help worrying.

Would apppreciate any help at all.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
(male)

indytechguy HB User
Re: MRI report

That is horrible you have to wait 5 weeks, that would drive me crazy as well! Is there any chance you can see your primary care physcian/family doctor and share these results with him? While they won't have the expert training as your neurologist, they may be able to help decipher some of this medical jargon for you. Also, I know my experience over here in the USA, is if there is something that raises some red flafs in any test, the doctors office will try to get you in much sooner than your originally farther out appointment. But that is my experience, that may be atypical.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
(female)

Traceagogo HB User
Re: MRI report

Thanks for that. I think I may have to follow up on your suggestion, seeing my GP. I know that a lipoma is a benign, slow growing tumour and it is only small according to the report but everytime (almost every day) that I have a headache, my mind starts thinking of this thing growing in my head that shouldn't be there. Seeing as it is benign and slow growing, I don't think that my neurologist would call me in early anyway. He only visits the coast where I live from Sydney a couple of days a week, hence the 5 more weeks of waiting. Thanks for your thoughts

Closed Thread