It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
(female)

taraberry HB User
What is recovery from a left frontotemporoparietal craniotomy like?

What is recovery from a left frontotemporoparietal craniotomy like? I suffer from a variety of lesions and cysts on the left side of my brain and they will require surgical resection. Has anyone else here ever had a this procedure? Did it take you a long time to recover?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
(male)

john30332 HB User
Re: What is recovery from a left frontotemporoparietal craniotomy like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taraberry View Post
What is recovery from a left frontotemporoparietal craniotomy like? I suffer from a variety of lesions and cysts on the left side of my brain and they will require surgical resection. Has anyone else here ever had a this procedure? Did it take you a long time to recover?
i had a right frontal craniotomy in Feb 2010 to resect a 6cm GBM-IV tumor. the surgeon said it could be as short at a couple days to as long as several months recovery. he said to expect two weeks of hospital. i was in hospital for four days. i was out of work for two weeks. the doctor wanted me to stay out for more, but just wasn't possible. i started radiation within three weeks of my surgery, and started chemo within 6 weeks.
all that being said, i'm not sure what you mean by 'recovery'; but i am over 15 months on the initial surgery and still do not feel 100% 'recovered'. there are activities i can no longer do, strange emotions and so-on that weren't there before. a lot of that has to do with my ongoing medications and chemotherapy treatments i'm sure.
i am sure that recovery times and experiences vary depending on a lot of factors (age, general health, etc); so obviously, your experience may be different. best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
(female)

taraberry HB User

By recovery, I meant 'return to normal'. Thanks for replying. I'm 37, female, and hope I can recover fast (I had to move back home to deal with this).

Do you live alone by chance? Did you need much help after your surgery around the house?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
(male)

john30332 HB User

I am 36 (34 when diagnosed). i moved back home as well. it was worth doing. i didn't need a lot of help around the house then. but i continue on chemo now, and having a family support unit is invaluable in this respect. someone to drive me home from chemo, to pick up things i need. even the small things can get challenging.
don't turn down any help or support you can get.

Closed Thread