It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

portergranny HB User
Question Is there anything after radiation?

They took out the brain tumor , or what they could get, in '06. In '08 they said that there was nothing more to do. In February my daughter got on a kick and said I had to see another neurosurgun?? I went to M.D. Anderson in Houston and they started me on radiation. I have 10 more treatments.

Can anyone tell me whats next???? Or just let my brain run amock.

I know the doctors are smart, but they just don't say anything. I hate this guessing, I need to plan, I'm a planner. Its driving me NUTS!

portergranny
Texas

Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
(female)

portergranny HB User
Cool Re: Is there anything after radiation?

I talked to my doctor today. He said that the radiation has a 90% success rate. If anything goes wrong I still have choices; gama knif, and another try at removal. I have 6 radiation treatments to go.

The tumor is between the left tempral lobe and skull. He said I have a spare! and that people do live with just one.

He said my only problem I need to work at is "no short term memory"

I have a future!!! I am ! not ! now worried about next year, I'l get to it.

I'm trying to decide what to get into next.

living happy in Texas
portergranny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Is there anything after radiation?

Hey there portergranny!

Just wanted to celebrate your good news!!

I would say you are in GREAT hands at M D Anderson. World renown for their cutting edge cancer treatment. Good for you. Good. Good. Good. :-)

Hugs
reach

Old 08-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
(female)

portergranny HB User

Thank you

there are so many things I want to do, NOW its whats first!

the first night I stayed up all night making a list of "to dos"

portergranny

Old 08-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

portergranny

Way to go! Get that list settled and then start doing them one by one. It took me a long time, way too long, to get my life back on track after my own cancer journey. I finally accepted that I could stay stuck where I was in fear or embrace life and get on with it. Funny how once I decided to get on with it, the fears about tomorrow disapated. :-)

Have a beautiful, joyous life
reach

Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
(female)

portergranny HB User

Saw the doctor today, last appt with him. MY "last" radiation treatment is tomorrow!!!!!

He said that it has gotten smaller, but its not finished yet.

We will do another scan in 4 months and then 6 months after that, then 1 yearly for as long as needed.

I know this may not sound like much, but I bought a 6 month presc. to the local paper. I need to get out of my head and back in the world!

Thank you for being here, it has helped a lot.
portergranny

Old 09-02-2011, 05:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey There, Granny

Today is your graduation from Radiation... Hurray!!!

As to the subscripttion the the newspaper... you are too funny. :-) It was a great step.

Granny, new things are being developed daily in the fight against all kind of cancers. Actually, I just read yesterday about a new piece of machinery at Yale New Haven Hospital in Connecticut that greatly improves surgery in the brain for tumors. There are only 20 such machines at the moment, but more and more are being made to fill the demand. Greater precision than ever before.

You know, in my own cancer journey (liposarcoma in thigh), there was only one limited study ever done in the whole world at that time (15 years ago). There were only two sarcoma centers in the whole United States! After surgery, my treatment was just educated guesses. The chemo I took was so rough on me that I had to stop after 4 treatments. I became part of a study and now they know that 4 rounds of the chemo can be enough. Also, there are quite a few Sarcoma centers all around the country now! With so many new developments in so many areas, there is every reason to keep hope alive in our hearts; every reason to live our lives to the fullest. :-)

So get reading that newspaper! The world around us continues.

XOXOXOXOXO
reach

Closed Thread