It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
(female)

gray22 HB User
questions about brain abnormality...

What is a brain tumor? How do tumors in the brain differ from lesions, calcifications, cysts, etc?

After experiencing head injury by an ex during a domestic dispute I had a CT scan in the ER and was told I have an unusual 4mm lesion located in the 4th ventricle, possibly Ependynoma or Chorid Plexus. I had to have an MRI for follow-up which showed no abnormalities. However, the radiologist recommended that I have another CT in 3-6 months since the prior CT showed an abnormality.

The radiology tech who performed my 2nd CT told me he has never seen a situation where someone has an abnormal CT but a normal MRI when there is no sign of hemmorage, etc. He assured me that my first CT scan had to have been a false positive. Yet my 2nd CT once again showed an calcified lesion just as the 1st CT scan had said. The radiology report from the 2nd CT does does not recommend additional follow-up. My doctor said I should only be concerned should I become symptomatic.

How can this be? Clearly it is not a big deal, however, I can't help but feel worried. Should I be concerned?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: questions about brain abnormality...

One of the biggest problems with all these sophisticated tests we have is they often show things that aren't a problem. You may have been born with this little "lesion" in your brain and it's been sitting there harmlessly for your entire life.....there is no way of knowing.

I had an MRI of my back that thought it showed a problem with my lungs and advised a CT of my lungs. The CT showed my lungs were fine but I had an aneurysm on the artery to my spleen. So now I had to have a CT of my upper abdomen. I've had this aneurysm all my life and in subsequent CT's, has not grown in size and it just sits there......another case of a test showing something that will probably never affect me but it cost many $$$ to find that out. And for the first couple of years, until they could prove it was not growing, scared the daylights out of me. Every pain I had I was sure it was rupturing. Now I know it is nothing....had it for 60 years and will have it for life.

And my cousin had a routine chest x-ray for working in a hospital and it showed a "mass" in her lung. Had immediate surgery and took out half her lung.....turned out to be a area of her lung that was just very dense...no tumor, nothing. The surgery was for nothing and now she has to watch that lung for pneumonia as they took out so much of it.

The moral of your story and all the others is that sometimes we are born with little abnormalities and they mean nothing. But when found with a scan of some kind, can lead to surgery and tons of fear and it's just a quirk of your anatomy.

Relax. If you start to get headaches or other signs of increased pressure on your brain(you can research that)then have it followed up on but chances are, it's just a quirk of your anatomy.

Jenny with the quirky aneurysm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread