It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User
Can smelling a bad smell be a tumor?

My son says he has this bad smell. He says he smells it almost all the time and it won't go away. He also says he has a lot of Bloody boogers (sorry to be so gross) in his nose all the time. His regular doctor wanted him to have a cat scan. He said he wanted to rule out a tumor. Anyway, he is seeing an ENT first to see what he thinks. I guess he will look up into his nose. Has anyone on here with a brain tumor ever smelled a bad smell? I know this is gross but he had his girlfriend sniff up his nose and she said it smelled like an infection. Whatever that means. Im worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Can smelling a bad smell be a tumor?

The most likely situation is an ongoing sinus problem, some type of infection. Brain tumor is a rather UNLIKELY explanation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

The ENT looked in his nose with the fiber optic scope. He said he did see some dried blood and that he has a slightly deviated septum. He doesn't know why he would be smelling a bad smell. He prescribed antibiotics in case of a sinus infection although he didn't really think he had one. He also prescribed Nasonex nose spray. He is to come back in a month. It's been two days and he said he hasn't smelled the bad smell for a couple days now. I was relieved that the doctor didn't seemed too concerned but now I am worried again. I read that if you have a brain tumor you can have a "phantom smell". Since no one can explain why he's been having a bad smell, maybe the first doctor was right and he should have a cat scan. I didn't want him to have one because he had one 10 years ago and didn't really need it. I've always feared that he might get a brain tumor because of all the radiation. So now, I am afraid that I may be doing wrong by not encouraging him to have one when he might have a brain tumor. Does anyone think that the smell would come and go if it was a tumor? I guess we will wait for a month and then if he is still having the smell, we will do the scan. I'm just all worried again now.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

The fact that he describes a "bad smell", and that his girlfriend could smell something like an infection (yes infections can have an odor to them) and the antibiotics are getting rid of it, all point to an infection, probably up in the sinuses. If his gf could smell something bad then it sounds like the odor is really there.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

I hope so. He is smelling it again today but he says it isn't as bad. It definitely comes and goes. So strange.

Reply Reply