It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
(male)

lostnnyc HB User
Exclamation Diagnosis: Vagal Schwannoma

Technically considered a brain tumor, even though it is in my neck. It is attached to the number 10 cranial (vagus) nerve. The mass measures approximately 3.5 x 2.8 x 5.3 cm in greatest dimensions, it is benign. It is beginning to affect my voice, I am hoarse most of the time. My question is given how rare they are, there is NO information online to provide an alternative treatment method to stop/destroy the tumor. I have one doctor who wants to remove it surgically, I have another who wants to use CyberKnife, (Radio Surgery) another doctor who wants to do nothing but to wait and see the rate of growth. I do not know how long I have had it, since I just discovered it.
Threads: 806,078, Posts: 4,591,517, Members: 855,980 Current Board Stats. Just one other post, (2/11) and no responses speaks to the rarity.I just hoped maybe someone could help me make a decision, or better yet an alternative method (juicing, acupuncture, energy healing). Thanks in advance. There is a lot of good info on this board, maybe someone can help me.

Last edited by lostnnyc; 04-10-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
(female)

schwammyville HB User
Re: Diagnosis: Vagal Schwannoma

Hi,
I also was diagnosed with a vagal schwannoma 7cmX1.4cm about 3 years ago. I had cyberknife. There are others who did the CK route. I know several people who have had surgery. I also know others who choose to watch and wait. There is always something that does go wrong with each treatment option. Your hoarse voice will probably never go away. Although there is treatments for the vocal cords you can do to help increase your tone. The reason that the hoarse voice is there is because the 10th cranial nerve runs the vocal cords so your vocal cord on the tumour side will be affected.
I see you are choosing the watch and wait along with homeotherapy. That is a good option because one girls tumour totally shrunk 12 yrs after diagnosis while in the watch and wait. There are different things you can try starting with meditation. I always say your mind is your biggest healer. Meditate your tumour away. Wash it out of your body with your mind.. do this daily. There is another option which is "essiac tea" which is a homeotherapy for tumours. There are also certain foods that fight off illness and increase your immunity and get rid of toxins from your body.
I hope this helps and I will keep my eye on this board if you have anymore questions.

The following user gives a hug of support to schwammyville:
lostnnyc (04-12-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to schwammyville For This Useful Post:
lostnnyc (04-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
(female)

psbburg HB User
Re: Diagnosis: Vagal Schwannoma

This may or may not be helfpul but thought I'd share just in case . . . my husband had a schwannoma surgically removed from his spine 10 years ago. It was stretching his S1 nerve and causing significant nerve pain in his leg that impacted his mobility. The pain immediately subsided upon removal of the tumor (in other words, the S1 nerve returned to its normal state). My brother-in-law has mutliple schwannomas in his abdomen and legs all of which they are "watching" as they are not causing any problems. So I guess our "rule" based on our experience that removal makes sense when the impacts/issues are significant; otherwise, waiting is appropriate.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
(female)

PainintheNeck51 HB User
Exclamation Re: Diagnosis: Vagal Schwannoma

To lostnnyc-- Im a fellow NYer, diagnosed with a vagal Shwannoma of approximately the same dimensions as of August 2012. Im currently in watch and wait mode , just having my 2nd MRI today. Im curious to know which doctors you've seen at which hospitals...

Reply Reply