It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
(female)

AutumnRose92 HB User
Swollen Optic Nerve

Hi all,

This may seem strange but I was wondering if there are any known symptoms of a swollen optic nerve- I don't mean things associated with it as in headaches etc. I am referring to actually 'feeling' that the optic nerve is swollen.

I ask this because on and off for a couple of years (along with other 'brain tumour symptoms') I have been experiencing what I can only describe as a feeling of pressure or fullness in my eyes- it can occur in both but more commonly in my right eye. I experience no pain associated with this- I get headaches but my eye itself never hurts. It is not permanent, just comes and goes. It does not affect my vision generally although I did notice the other day that my right eye appeared darker when I was looking at the computer screen (as in I closed my left eye and looked with my right and then vice versa and there was definitely a distinct difference although my actual vision out of both eyes is fine).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be, and is it possible that it could be my optic nerve? Can you 'feel' if there is a problem with the optic nerve or is it something that can only be discovered with an eye test?

Thoughts would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
(female)

AutumnRose92 HB User
Re: Swollen Optic Nerve

Anyone?
(I'm so impatient/worried but anyones thoughts would be really appreciated!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

My friend did have a swollen optic nerve. It severely affected his vision until medicines got the swelling under control. It does not sound to me like your optic nerve is swollen.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
(female)

AutumnRose92 HB User

Thank-you for your reply. Hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions- did he ever say he could 'feel' anything or did he just have vision problems?
Also, was a cause ascertained? Did he have a brain tumour?
I don't mean to ask personal questions but anyones experiences are greatly appreciated.

Hope you and your friend are well.

Thank-you.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

He just woke up one morning with very blurry vision. He was diagnosed with "possible" multiple sclerosis. As of the last time I heard from him, he was still OK.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
AutumnRose92 (04-21-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
(female)

ellenm20 HB User

Hello I have just read your post re a swollen optic nerve. Have you had an MRI to rule out any tumours. I have a non maligant tumour growing up towards the optic nerve, my eye sight gets blury at times however I cant actually feel any swelling. My advice is go to your doc and have him/her book you in for an MRI. That will show up any irregularities in the brain. Also it wouldn't hurt to get your eyes tested. The test you need in particular is to show the outer extremitie ( peripheral vision ) of your eyesight.

Last edited by ellenm20; 09-20-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Reply Reply