It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
(female)

rogersonbrown HB User
Can anyone explain these MRI RESULTS???

I have been suffering with lower back problems for almost 7 years now with no specific diagnosis other than it was from been pregnant with a large baby in the back to back position. I have pain down the back of my legs and buttock. More recently I started suffering with neck problems. I have constant neck pain that causes severe headaches and also pain in my left shoulder, elbow and forearm. It also causes numbness and tingling in my ring/little finger. I had an MRI scan and all the COnsultant said was that i had a bulging disc but I recently got a copy of the result and it seems to say a lot more than that but I have no idea what it means. The symptoms are gradually getting waorse and moving across to the right side also. I am controlling the pain with TRAMADOL at the moment but need this sorting ASAP, I am only 30 years old with 2 small children and it is making my life a misery!! These are the MRI findings if anyone can help...

[MRI Spine cervical]

There is markedly abnormal signal return from many of the
cervical and upper thoracic vertebral bodies. The signal is
high on both T1 and T2 imaging. This often goes along with
multiple vertebral body haemangiomas. (I note the patient
had an MRI scan of the lumbar spine in 2010 and this also
showed features which would be consistent with haemangiomas
in the lower thoracic upper lumbar vertebral bodies).

The spinal canal is capacious with no thecal or cord
compression. No intrinsic signal change can be identified.
There is modest right sided disc bulging at C6/7 which
results in very minimal narrowing of the exit foramen at
this point.

The imaged brain stem and cerebellum appear normal.

Thanks in advance for any help. xx

The following user gives a hug of support to rogersonbrown:
NW1978 (03-16-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
(female)

Zomizaru HB User
Smile Re: Can anyone explain these MRI RESULTS???

I am not a doctor but I think what it means is that the nerve signals being transmitted from the upper segments in your spine are being transmitted abnormally (cervical are in the neck and upper thoracic are at the top of your chest). this could have something to do with the pain/strange sensations in your shoulders and neck. It then goes on to say that these symptoms are often due to haemangiomas, which are non-cancerous dense collections of small blood vessels, and you have been checked for these before in these parts of your spine.

Finally it says that your spinal canal (where the spinal cord passes through) is spacious enough for your spinal cord and your spinal cord is not being compressed or damaged in any way; the nerve signals being transmitted here are as they should be. The minor disc bulging is causing the foremen to narrow at that particular place (a common problem for people with bulging discs), the foramen is where the nerves branch off from the spinal cord, but this narrowing is minimal.

Hope I have helped, again I am not a doctor, but am studying molecular and cellular biology

Reply Reply