It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

West64408 HB User
Still worried about having a brain tumor

I am still really scared that I have a brain tumor (although I'm sure that's what it is). I have been having these really sharp split second head pains in the upper right side of my head. For example today I was at work and about 10 minutes after I got there I had the sudden sharp pain out of nowhere, and it eventually subsided, but there is a slight feeling of pressure in that spot. Now this has happened to me before but I'm still convinced that it's a tumor. I also feel like something is in my eye, but there isn't. And I will press on the crease above my tragus and there is a lump under my skin on the right side but nothing on the left...of course I think it's cancer spreading from the brain tumor. I sometimes have jaw discomfort with this head pain on the right side, and right temple pain - along with right cheek discomfort. I don't have any weakness, or loss of vision or loss of hearing. Although I had on and off again nausea in the morning, but that hasn't happened for some time and I haven't had it since these head pains have started. But I would have them from time to time about 8 months ago. But I'm really scared and I'm at my wits end. I want to go to the doctor, but I'm so scared to go because I don't want them to find a brain tumor. And the only way they won't find it, is if don't go. I was actually crying today because I'm so scared it's a tumor. I'm only 19 years old too. I was thinking to myself, why me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
(male)

JCosta27 HB User
Re: Still worried about having a brain tumor

Seems like an "ice pick headache" I get those as well. Many symptoms such as seizure,memory loss, double vision, unable to speak properly, numbness in foot or arm, unable to walk properly are signs of a brain tumor. Just because you get sharp pain for a brief bit does not mean it' s a tumor. Those are commonly known as "ice pick headaches" google it, you will see.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-04-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Your symptoms could be that of a brief migraine or even temporarl arteritis, since you are feeling a lumpy area is in temple on the side of the pain. This could also be from TMJ inflammation in your jaw. There is no reason to suspect a brain tumor (uncommon) over something common (migraine or TMJ). Temporal arteritis usually occurs in older people and causes visual disturbance, so that is less likely but possible. I think seeing the Dr and getting this sorted out would put your mind at ease. The trigeminal nerve is in that area too, and could be inflamed. All kinds of benign possibilities that are more likely, including the ice pick headaches previously mentioned.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
This could also be from TMJ inflammation in your jaw.
I agree and this was my first thought too since you are having pain in your face and jaw as well as your temple. It's very likely all muscle pain from fatigue or inflamation especially if you have a habit of clenching your jaw at times.

Last edited by captjane; 07-15-2013 at 03:39 AM.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

West64408 HB User

Thank you for the responses. I was just wondering about the wireless headsets though that I use at work. This is what is on the headset - "This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class A digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules."
Now that I have that out of the way, is there any chance that the headset could have caused a tumor and that's what the pain is from. I actually had a terrible headache yesterday at work, and I took 1 ibuprofen for it and it didn't help me. I sat down for my break and that helped my head feel much better while I was able to sit down and put my head down a little. Then I got home and had a cup of coffee and sat on my bed and relaxed a little, and the headache pretty much went away. Now I still have a weird aching feeling on both sides of my head where I would use the headset. What I find interesting, is that I didn't really notice these headaches until I refused to use the headsets anymore. I was thinking about going to the doctor about it, but I'm scared they'll find a brain tumor. I know that's odd, but I'm just that paranoid. So if someone could help me settle the dispute about them, that would really help me...sorry the response was long.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

To be honest, I think you have worked yourself up into this fearful state to the point of being obsessed with this, and it just isn't rational. Brain tumor headaches don't subside with rest and relaxation, muscle tension headaches or TMJ headaches can. There may be a component of migraine involved since it is one sided and responded to coffee, as the caffeine can help migraines. This anxiety will become a vicious cycle if you refuse to consider other probable reasons for the headache, like those that have been suggested, and go to a Dr to get a professional opinion. Perhaps you would feel better going to Dr with a friend or family member to lessen the fear.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

West64408 HB User

Thank you for the responses...I really appreciate it.
I apologize, but I just can't seem to shake this. I did go to the doctor about my headaches before, but I was told that nothing was wrong with me. They didn't offer an MRI or CT scan though. It just feels odd that the slight ache on both sides is still there - even with the coffee.
Like I'm sitting here in my room typing this with the nagging ache on both sides still.

Closed Thread