It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain Tumors Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

lmt131803 HB User
Unhappy Weird symptoms for a 17 yr old.

Hello, I'm Lauren. I'm 17 yrs old.

For the last few months I've been having very strange symptoms that have come on suddenly over time. I've been experiencing depression, at times I don't even want to get out of bed or bother with anything. My friends are worried as I never see them anymore. I have practically become a recluse! Even my parents are starting to get worried.

I've also been constantly having weird vision disturbances (in my case: seeing blue flashing lights and floating blue spots). I constantly get headaches, I am tired 24/7, no matter how much sleep I have. I also feel very dizzy and have lack of motivation due to the way I'm feeling. Also, I forgot to mention that I am having weird pains just come out of no where in my neck and leg region, I feel confused often... Like, I don't even feel like I'm in my own body.

If someone, can offer some advice.. That would be great.

Many thanks,

Lauren

Old 08-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User
Re: Weird symptoms for a 17 yr old.

Sounds to me like you have pretty much the same symptoms I have and I have MAV (migraine associated vertigo) and BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). Have you ever (in your life) had migraine headaches?

Quote:
having weird vision disturbances (in my case: seeing blue flashing lights and floating blue spots).
That is usually migraine related, do you get headaches after that? I get the vision disturbances but don't get headaches afterwards (They are called Aura's). When my doctor told me I had the MAV I told him he was crazy.... that I do NOT have migraines. Then he asked if I ever had them at anytime in my life and I did, around 40 years ago... LOL! He told me if you have ever had them, you can get the MAV.

I have had the loss of balance thing that comes and goes, sometimes I stagger when I walk, sometimes I am not able to drive because of the dizziness. I am extremely sensitive to light, especially florescent lighting... that about kills me. I can get motion sickness just walking outside and I live with nausea, had that nausea a good 5 to 8 years with no let up at all. Now it just comes and goes.. I do not have headaches but I have a lot of other MAV related symptoms. (There is a long list of symptoms for MAV)

You probably are staying inside because of the symptoms because that is what I did in the beginning. Start paying attention when you go out and see if you get motion sickness, and if the light outside bothers you.

That confusion, I also had. They explained it to me that my body and mind was concentrating so hard on keeping my balance that nothing else registered. Like I said, I STILL stagger and I have staggered for the last 4 years.

There is no cure for any of this but they can treat it. I am on 2 medications a day for this and the medication is trial and error until they find what works for each person. I hate that you are so young because this has not went away for me. I do have periods of time when a symptom will let up for awhile but it never goes completely away. I also have become a recluse. I avoid the stores because of the lighting in them and people have stopped asking me to do things because I never know how I am going to feel in the next hour, much less the next week....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User3red3red HB User
Re: Weird symptoms for a 17 yr old.

Lauren, have you spoken to your parents about any of these symptoms? There may be some medications that may help and with the dizziness it could be really easy to fall or if you drive, to be in an accident. Seventeen is so very young to be depressed, you should not go through such scary symptoms......especially to have made the jump to a brain tumor message board. My prayers are with you

Reply Reply