It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 01:22 PM   #1

corbinsmama HB User
Thumbs down Plan B (ECP)& Breastfeeding

BG INFO: I'm 17, and I just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy one month ago. We are exclusively breastfeeding.

So. I'm really stupid. Last night my fiance and I had unprotected sex. Smart, eh? We were going to use the "pull out" method, and we did... but at one point hubby-to-be thinks he let a little go inside of me. Not a goood thing, considering that a woman can ovulate at ANY point after giving birth. I believe the earliest documented case is 27 days after.

So... breastfeeding is a semi-reliable form of birth control.
You have to 1. be exclusively breastfeeding (feeding more than 8 times daily), 2. Not have your period back yet and 3. Be less than 6 months post-pardum
All of those apply to me.
But... it's only semi-reliable.

I want to take Plan B, but I'm told that Plan B will kill my milk supply. {removed} says that it is a progestin-only pill, which would be OK with breastfeeding. It also warns that there may be a drop in my milk supply for a few days, I don't know how I could handle that.

Yes, quite the pickle it is.
What do I do??? We can't have another baby... There is no way we could afford that mentally, physically OR financially! I am such an idiot... I should not have suggested that... we should have just went without for a night.
Do I risk the pregnancy, or do I risk the loss of my breastmilk? I don't know what to do at all.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 09-14-2004 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Please read board guidelines. Links are not allowed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User
Re: Plan B (ECP)& Breastfeeding

I looked it up in Taking Charge of Your Fertility and according to this author it is also important that your baby has limited pacifiers and supplements (like water) because the baby has to suckle at least every 4 hours during the day and every 6 hours at night. She goes on to say that full breastfeeding means no supplements/pacifiers. But then says extensive studies have shown that the contraceptive effectiveness of LAM is maintained even if your breastfeeding is nearly full (you supplement no more than 15% of all feedings.) But she says to aim for full. With all these factors it has a failure rate of less than 2% a year.
I hope this helps you make your decision! Maybe in the future you can chart your cycles while you breastfeed as an extra check. (The book says its up to you since the failure rate is so low anyways.)

Old 11-02-2004, 12:02 PM   #3

YoungMama HB User
Wink Re: Plan B (ECP)& Breastfeeding

Well let me just tell you I know how you feel!! I am exclusively breastfeeding as well. We actually choose to have un protected sex. The only BAD thing about exclusively breastfeeding is that there is no way to chart your cycles or know if you've ovulated, IF your periods have not returned. I am one that while breastfeeding DOES NOT have a period BUT YET ovulates. I was pregnant again by the time my 3rd child was 7 weeks old. Unfortunately I lost that baby when my baby was 3 mos old. This time around I have yet to get pregnant but am sure that I've ovulated. I know my body's aches n pains n cramps well enough now. My only suggestion to you if the pill is an option use the mini pill (safe while nursing) and some type of barrier method if its not too much of a problem. Better safe than sorry. Using breastfeeding as a method of birth control is playing with fire. (believe me my butt is burnin )
Just know that the risk is very slim although there!!

Old 11-02-2004, 01:43 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

Maybe you had a luteal cyst? That is the only way I know of where it is possible to ovulate and not get a period about 14 days later if you aren't pregnant.

Old 11-02-2004, 03:37 PM   #5

alliemay HB User

maybe you can pump a supply

Old 11-03-2004, 07:38 AM   #6

jriegel HB User

hey alliemay

the book The Art of Natural Family Planning has an entire section dedicated to natural child spacing and it is VERY clear and has a lot of clinical evidence for exclusive breast feeding to prevent pregnancy, sometimes up to two years. i recommend you get it ASAP and consider the options...that's what my husband and i have planned to do

the book also says you CAN tell when you ovulate after you've had a child and you are exclusively breast feeding...you body gives the same symptoms it did before you were pregnant, you just need to be sure to check every day and watch them closely.

it is possible

i wish you the best and encourage you to give your baby the best food available, your own milk

there are always other options than the Pill

Closed Thread