It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
(female)

LeesGirl HB User
I stopped breastfeeding...can I restart?

I know, it sounds bizzare, right? Well here's the story:

I really wanted to breastfeed, but I delivered my beautiful daughter 3 1/2 weeks early. Since she was early, she did not have the muscle strength to stay latched on to my breast. She could latch on, but then get so exhausted, take a brake, then didn't have the energy to stay latched on. So, after her losing a lot of weight and her jaundice scores going up, I caved in and started to bottle feed her in the hospital (I was in there for 4 days due to a c-section...another surprise and disappointment).
Well, my breast still leak from time to time (it's been 3 weeks on Sat since delivery) and if I squeeze my nipple, I can still extract a little milk.
If I pumped, could I restart breastfeeding in a bottle??? Just curious...
I am feeling guilty for stopping, and just wanted to weigh any other options.
Thanks for the help
Born: 10/23/04 10:41pm
6 pounds 8 ounces
17.5 inches long

Old 11-12-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

andrea03 HB User
Re: I stopped breastfeeding...can I restart?

You can always relactate. I suggest consulting a lactation nurse. GOod luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2004, 11:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kierrasmommy HB User

If you think you milk has decreased you can get pills to increase your milk as well. It worked for 2 of my friends who weren't producing enough...one of whom had stopped breastfeeding and had switched to bottle only to find out that her son didn't digest formula well so by the time she wanted to restart her milk had decreased quite a bit. Goodluck.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

yes you can start again. if you call the labor and delivery center at the hospital you had your little one they can put in contact with a lactation nurse. YES-- there are nurses specifically for breast feeding. the course of action that i think would be best is if you went there with your little girl and they could asess your milk situation. most likley they will give you a pump to rent (the best of the best, $1,500.00 pump) for $30.00 a month. this pump will suck a golf ball through a garden hose. they will most likley have you use this pump every 2 hours for 24-48 hours (yeah you can still sleep, but pump when she is awake at night). this will re-stimulate your milk and clean out the ducts. (probably will have to "pump and dump" for the first 24 hours.)

the problem is with a little on already on the bottle, they become lazy because it is way easier to get milk from the bottle as opposed to a breast. a little trick is to cut a fairly big hole in her favorite nipple and put it over your nipple. she won't know what it her!

i know all this 'cause my son and i had a pretty rough time in the beginning. too long and too sad, but i did have to stop b/fing when he was just 6 weeks old from a life threatning infection i got. i was devestated. i am planning on breast feeding this one as long as my body will let me. cuts your chances of breast cancer down a bunch too!
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #5

ltw HB User

I feel your pain. You can start breastfeeding again if you pump during the time she's on bottle. Since your baby is still little. it'll be an easier transition from bottle to your breast. When you start breastfeeding again, don't give her bottle at all for a few days. She'll get used to it. My baby also had jaundice and the pediatrician told me to bottle feed her. I had to pump my milk out. After her jaundice score went down, I started breastfeeding again. At first she was lazy to suck on my breast. But after a few days she got used to it again. I was also feeling so bad for not breastfeeding her. I went to a breastfeeding support group and I felt so much better. I even went to see a lactation consultant. So, I think you will benefit a lot by going to see one.
Good luck!

Old 11-13-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
(female)

LeesGirl HB User

Thank you everyone for your insight. I have a lot of thinking to do..and I have to do it quickly. Thanks again
Born: 10/23/04 10:41pm
6 pounds 8 ounces
17.5 inches long

Old 04-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
(female)

calebsmommy HB User

My doctor told me to take Fenugreek 3 pills 3 times per day. She had to take it. You can find it at your local health store or the internet. It will only help you if you are still producing some milk. My son gets mad when I put him on the breast because he expects the milk to start flowing as soon as he latches on, like the bottle. I need to put him on before I give him his bottle 8-10 times a day. If your fights to much them do it when s/he is not hungry and wants to suck (when you would offer a pacifier). Your baby would not be nursing but suckling. They would still be getting a little milk while fulfilling there need to suck ( sucking soothes your baby when they are upset). You sould start to produce more milk. My Dr also recommended me to buy ar rent a hospital grade pump. Remember your milk is supply and demand. The more your baby nurses or you pump the more milk you will make.
If the Fenegreek does not work you can get a prescription for Reglan. Yes the same stuff for morning sickness.
I strongly recommend you make an appointment with a lactation consultant. Mine help me so much. Good luck.
You can find more info on these on the internet.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
(female)

Angellica HB User

I stopped for 2 days and my milk went down drastically.....it did come back with consecutive pumping...took almost a month!!! Make sure you are getting enough calories too.....that really does make a difference in the amount of milk.~

Closed Thread