It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
(female)

skl_1979 HB User
Question Breast feeding and pumping at the very same time?

I'm still pregnant, 24 weeks, and trying to figure out if I can breast feed and pump at the very same time? I know to some of you this may be bizare. My time in the morning is very limited and getting up earlier when I am already tired is going to break me for sure. I just want to know if you have either done or heard of a mother breast feeding on one nipple and pumping on the other at the same time?
-S

Old 08-20-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
(female)

Karen62705 HB User
Re: Breast feeding and pumping at the very same time?

Not only is this not Bizzare, it's actually recommended during the first months, to keep increase you supply. And double pumps are made for convience. The only problem you may encounter is a noisy pump disturbing the baby. And some of them are NOISY!! I use the "purly yours" by Ameda, it's a double pump.....Super quiet, and fast and easy to use. So do your research...and don't feel weird pumping while nursing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

It's totally normal. I do it in the morning, when my breasts are really full, and DS only needs to nurse on one, and I pump on the other using the medela breast pump. I have the double, but use only one usually, unless I'm away from him for a while. It's recommended that you don't pump at all the first few weeks though, until your natural milk supply has been established. gGood luck, and also, breast feeding hurts the first few weeks, but you don't feel a thing later, and pumping doesn't hurt at all!

Old 08-21-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
(female)

skl_1979 HB User

Thanks Ladies,
I just didn't seem to find any help on the internet like La Lache League so I thought I would ask you guys. I know that it is said to not pump for the first few weeks but it is also said to pump if you have engorgement issues. I have to go back to work asap but I will only be away from the baby for an hour or two for the first few months. So who do you listen to? My sister was able to do both right away and I am hoping that I have the same kind of luck because I don't want the baby given formula for the first few months. I guess it comes down to whatever works best and I have to be patient- hard to do when you have so many count downs going on like the biggest one BIRTH DAY!
-S

Closed Thread