It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Laur77 HB User
B vitamins and breast feeding

Does anyone know if it's okay to take a B complex vitamin while breastfeeding??? I always took one before I was pregnant (to help with anxiety disorder), but stopped once I got pregnant and just took the pre-natal vitamins. I still take the pre/post natal vitamin, but would like to start back on the B vitamins. I know some supplements, including too much of some vitamins can be bad while pregnant, but what about BF? Thanks!!

Old 12-20-2005, 08:52 PM   #2
(female)

Charmbracelet81 HB User
Re: B vitamins and breast feeding

I dont know the answer to that, but I am interested to know what B vitamin you take for anxiety and if it works. I have that and am looking for help! I take One A Day Womens right now so could I keep taking that inconjunction with the B? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Laur77 HB User
Re: B vitamins and breast feeding

Hi
Some supplements that I was taking before I had my baby which are good for anxiety/panic. I should note this was all recommended to me by a naturotherapist, so tailored to my needs:

(1) B-Complex (meaning all the B vitamins)(liquid is best) with 50mg of each B vitamin, plus folic acid.
(2) Vitamin C (1000mg)
(3) Calcium 333mg(has a calming effect) 3 times a day. I took one with magnesium in it which helps your body absorb the calcium better. The ratio should be approx 2:1 calcium to magnesium. It's best to take calcium over the day because if you take one supplement of, say 1000mg at once, your body will only absorb some of it and discard the rest.

I also took a multi-vitamin on top of this. Also, making sure you get lots of iron is important. There are also many other natural remedies out there that you may wish to try. I was always leary as there is not always a lot of study done on them. The supplements are not a cure, but they can help. But a whole life style change is what helped me, including my diet (I gave up coffe!) and exercise. I am not able to find much info on-line if the supplements in these higher doses are okay while pregnant or breast-feeding, so to be on the safe side I cut them out. Once I finish breast-feeding I will definitely be taking them back up!

Closed Thread