It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User
Question Breastfeeding...and losing the baby weight.

Hello to all again. I am 28w3d pg, and have been seriously concidering breastfeeding. I keep hearing that you loose the baby weight so much easier if you breastfeed, but always thought it was an old wives tale. Is it true? A health profesional told me today that it helps your uterus go back to what it was prepregnancy faster, and that if you breastfeel exclusively, you loose 500 extra calories a day.

Huh?

Does anyone have any insight on this subject? Thanks so much!

Old 01-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
(female)

AJThompson HB User
Re: Breastfeeding...and loosing the baby weight.

My sister lost every bit of her baby weight and a little more and she breastfed her son!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

You do lose uterus size quicker and some people do lose weight quicker. You definately burn more calories per day if you do breastfeed...so as long as you don't increase your caloric intake too much you should lose weight quicker. You also need to drink lots of fluids when breastfeeding and this helps you lose weight quicker too.
The biggest reason to breastfeed though isn't about you (though the added health benefits are a huge bonus!!!!) but about your baby. It is the best nutrition for your baby, gives him/her the best immunity to various illnesses and the biggest reason for me was cost...formula is sooooo expensive. I wasn't even able to get my son to latch at all and was able to buy a very good pump, feed breastmilk exclussively for over 9 months and save $200 over the cost of formula.
Of course this is coming from someone who also uses cloth diapers for the same thrifty reason.
It isn't for everyone, is tough work at the start but for most people the positives outweigh the negatives.
Good luck!!!

Old 01-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

it is true my sil loks grat and she only had her dd 3 weks ago and she has more or less returned to normal size. bf burns an extra 500 calories a feed which is why it is important to eat regularly

Old 01-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
(female)

Kennidy's MaMa HB User

Yes, it is true. I lost all my weight in 3 weeks and then a extra 10 lbs after that. Good Luck

Old 01-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

Thanks for the opinions. Just to clarify, loosing the weight would be a wonderful benefit, but not the full reason I would breastfeed my baby. I do understand the benefits for her are way more than the benefits for me (which is why I started thinking about breastfeeding in the first place. The loosing of weight was just an added benefactor for me).

Thanks again for all resposes!

Old 01-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

I just have to say I must have been the only person breast feeding didn't make lose weight, I do know that it made my uterus come back to it's original size much quicker but I didn't lose hardly any weight while breast feeding they say you should keep your additional 300 to 500 calories that you added while pregnant to keep up for supply for breast feeding so I felt like I was always eating. I breast fed for 8 months and mabie lost 6 pounds out of the 17 I had to lose but after I had stopped nursing the weight just fell off of me in a matter of weeks. In the end it is not about us it is about what is best for our babies and I intend to breastfeed with this one as well wether I lose any or not.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

OrangeCouture HB User

I wonder what the facts are on this issue. Although many say that because it burns 500 calories that can make you lose weight, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you will. People can say "Oh so and so I know breastfed and she lost her weight, therefore it is true." I think if you want to find more information on it, look for some good research on the subject on the internet. I also wonder what the connect is between breastfeeding and making you uterus shrink faster, what is the link?

Old 01-23-2006, 09:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

The reason breastfeeding helps shrink the uterus is faster is because when the breasts (or nipples) are stimulated, this promotes excretion of the hormone Oxytocin (which is the natural form of Pitocin). This in turn stimulates the uterus to contract, causing it to return to its normal size faster. That is why Pitocin aids in the childbirth process, it stimulates the uterus to contract, which helps expel the child.

Amy

Old 01-24-2006, 06:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxyfoxy HB User

Quote:
I also wonder what the connect is between breastfeeding and making you uterus shrink faster, what is the link?
Breastfeeding definetly makes your uterus go back to its original size faster. When you are breastfeeding you can feel the tugging in your belly. At first it hurt me a bit (had a section) but I felt good about it because I knew what was going on. I'm not sure what the link is but I would assume it goes hand in hand with nipple stimulation possibly causing you to go into labor. Probably the reason women who have vaginal births get their milk faster. They go into labor triggering the milk ducts?

As for losing the weight, I had a c-section so I wasn't able to workout for 6wks, but my uterus did go down really fast, about 2 weeks and I noticed a difference in my waist line then. No more loose skin which was nice. But, I am still working on the weight. After my section I was pretty lazy for a while, relaxing like they advise to and eating(they didn't advise that!)! I didn't get fatter, which is good. Now that I am working out I've lost 5lbs in 2wks. I do think breastfeeding helps, but I think if you lay around you can't expect to lose too much.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hotmamma13 HB User

Well, of course that wouldn't be the reason I breastfeed. Just a perk. I think I will breastfeed anyway. If I loose weight quicker, great. If I don't, well, I'll be excersizing anyway, so it's a win win situation for me.

Thanks for all replys!

Old 01-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

I am breastfeeding and I'm 3+ weeks PP. I lost 25 out of the 40 pounds I gained so far. I have a couple more weeks before I can start working out because of my c-section. I am still feeling contractions every once in a while, so I guess my uterus is still strinking.

It is true that you burn extra calories each day, but keep in mind that you're hungry all the time!!!!! If you feel like you're eating all day long, (and in the middle of the night during feedings) make sure you have healthy foods to snack on like baby carrots. I like those because there's no preperation, just eat them out of the bag.

I hope I can lose my pregnancy weight. It hasn't exactly "fallen" off me like it does most people I guess.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:27 AM   #13
(female)

gretchie35 HB User

well i just want to mention i breastfed my son and it was the hardest task i have ever done...but stick by it and it will get easier...he was breastfed for six months, a very healthy chunky boy i must say..it is the best thing for your little ones..in my opinion...then when he was off the breast i highly recommend nestle choice formula...it taste and smells just like your milk..as for loosing the weight...when you breastfeed your uteres contracts which makes it shrink back to normal size...along with myself i hardly bleed after my delivery which is also from breastfeeding...i was back at my normal weight about six months...good luck on breastfeeding and when i say it is hard believe me it is hard, but stick by it and you will be so happy that you did!! gretch

Old 01-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #14
(female)

walnutsmom HB User
Re: Breastfeeding...and losing the baby weight.

To comment on "gretchie's" post, less bleeding after your delivery doesn't have anything to do with breastfeeding. It is different for everyone. I bled for 5 weeks post partum and was exclusively breastfeeding.

You do burn more calories. I thought it was only 300 calories but that's great to hear that it is really 500. I lost the weight within 6 months and breastfeeding and walking were my only two calorie burning activities. I went on to lose 5 more additional pounds. BUT my warning would be to take up an intensive workout regime (or consume way fewer calories) once you stop nursing. It will creep back on you!

Old 01-24-2006, 11:02 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User
Re: Breastfeeding...and losing the baby weight.

Walnuts, I always thought it was 300 calories too...

Closed Thread