It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

feb06baby HB User
Breast Feeding.....

Hello Ladies,

I'm new to the infant care board. I delivered Feb 3rd, I'm 5 days post partum. My milk came in about 48 hours ago. Since then my breasts have been really engorged and sore. I thought this lasted 24-48 hours? When will they go down a little? They really hurt, and feel so tight and hard. I have had to manually squeeze some out since my DD does'nt nurse enough to relieve it completely. Also, my nipples are really sore for the first minute after she latches on. Does this go away soon or will it always hurt for a minute or so? Thanks in advance!!!

Old 02-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

S&J HB User
Re: Breast Feeding.....

First congrats on your new baby!
What i did to relieve the pressure was to use a breast pump...Your breasts eventually will make the right amount for what your baby is sucking....know what I mean? Also..i used to put Lanolin (sp?) on after breastfeeding.
I hope I could answer your question!
And hope you're getting some sleep!
S

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

summertyme HB User

The engorgement will go down in a few days as soon as your body adjusts to your baby's needs. Also, the pain came as a big surprise to me too. For me, it hurt for about the first month with each of my children. Eventually it went away, and nursing became a lot easier.

Keep up the great work!! You're doing a wonderful thing!!

Old 02-09-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Altson HB User

It will kind of hurt for the first month or so. Your boobs have a lot of new things to make adjustments for. You will experience engorgement at various times while you breastfeed. I always knew the baby was going through a growth spurt when I would get engorged. Your body is adjusting for the amount of milk needed.

I don't agree with the other posters to use a pump to express when you're engorged, I think that causes you to just produce even more than you need and you're already producing a bit too much, hence the engorgement in the first place. What I've always done is to get in the shower, or just bend over the sink or tub, bra off and let your boobs drip for a few minutes, the pressure will lessen. Wearing a good supportive nursing bra helps too.

Hang in there, you're doing great. Breastfeeding is a lot more difficult than anyone ever tells you it will be.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

S&J HB User

[QUOTE=AllTheLarsons]
I don't agree with the other posters to use a pump to express when you're engorged, I think that causes you to just produce even more than you need and you're already producing a bit too much, hence the engorgement in the first place. What I've always done is to get in the shower, or just bend over the sink or tub, bra off and let your boobs drip for a few minutes, the pressure will lessen. Wearing a good supportive nursing bra helps too.QUOTE]

Hi there..i only used the pump to get the pressure off in the beginning..probably the same as you would do in the shower. I never fully pumped because you're right you will end up producing more milk. When my ds started sleeping through the night i wanted to pump so bad in the middle of the night so i could sleep but i knew not to because i needed to get adjusted to his schedule.
I'm still successfully nursing.
And yes, the engorgement will go away!
I just wanted to clarify my previous response
Good Luck!
S

Old 02-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Fullfire HB User

the more you nurse or pump the more milk you make!

Old 02-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Congratualtions!! As for the soreness...it will get better too. I personally thought it was toe-curling...keep breathing...my eyes are watering...curl the toes again...pain in the first 2 weeks. I'm soooo thankful I didn't give up breastfeeding during that time. If someone would have told me that the 2 week milestone would be much better than the early days, I think I would have enjoyed the first 2 weeks of breastfeeding more knowing there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Just keep working on your latch each time. It will get better with more practice.

What worked for me was switching positions for a day or 2 from our usual position so the mouth pressure concentrates on different areas of the nipple. This helped the sore spots get some relief...even a day of relief was amazing, as I recall.

For me, the nipple creams made my nipples even more sensitive, so I bought a couple kinds and hardly used them. However...they are not a waste of money if they don't help your nipples. I've been using the nipple cream all the time now on my baby's chapped hands, cheeks, and chin when the drooling/sucking started up heavy. Great stuff for chapped baby skin!
Gayle

Old 02-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Congratulations on your baby! And great job choosing to nurse. It will be difficult in the very beginning, but hang in there, it does get easier!
You can massage, but in the end, your body will adjust anyway. Sometimes I tool tylenol for the pain. As far as when they latch on, well honestly, that pain ( that made my eyes squint) will go away, but it will take a few weeks. Believe me, then you won't feel anything painful.
Those nipple creams didn't work for me either, but friends swear by them, so give it a try. Also let your nipple completely dry before putting your bra back on. Don't give up! You're doing the best thing for your baby. There are a few really experienced momma's here when it comes to BF'ding, so feel free to keep asking, I'm glad they were all here for me, and now I feel like a pro!

Old 02-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
(female)

FLAngel HB User

I read all there was to read, went to several classes and was basically a total dork when it came to preparing to breastfeed but when baby came, nothing really seemed to work the way it was suppose to. I was also unaware of how much it would hurt that first week or so when your milk comes down. For me, it did get much better after the first few days. I think you will always feel your let down, but soon it won't really hurt.

As for the sore nipples, I tried every position, worked on dd's latch, slathered in lanolin, and even paid for a lactation consultant. Those first few seconds of agonizing pain at latch lasted for about 6 weeks. Thankfully I didnt give up and one day is just seemed to miraculously stop hurting. Latch is definately important but I think that the ferocity of babys suck and your own natural sensitivity also play a role.

In any case, whether is takes two weeks or six weeks, it definately will get better and you will be really glad you stuck with it. The health benefits are great but the sheer convenience of not having to mix bottles at 3am is just awesome! good luck and congrats!

Old 02-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
(female)

muffintop HB User

Welcome to the baby boards!

Well just had to throw my two cents in... I saw a Lactation Consultant shortly after DS was born. Her suggestions for engorgement were

Pump just enough off to make yourself comfortable (If your milk has come in and there isn't a supply issue)

Ice your breasts after pumping or nursing for 5 to 10 minutes to help swelling (I used those freezer pack ones wrapped in tea towels)

Warm compresses, heating pad or hot shower on breasts prior to pumping or nursing. (helps let down)

Don't let them stay swollen too much, luckly I didn't develop a breast infection or clogged milk ducts but engorgement can cause more serious problems, call your doctor if you develop a fever or unsual painful spots in your breast.

I did this for about 2 weeks icing and pumping and heat (until DS was 4 wks old) until the swelling went down. My only other word of advice is don't give up... the first 6 weeks were really hard but now that DS is 3 1/2 months old I am so grateful and proud of myself for sticking with it. You will too.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #11
(female)

feb06baby HB User

Just wanted to say a big thanks you to all of you for your advice!! It really helps knowing others have experienced the same things. Engorgement has gone down, but my breasts are still tender, especially when its been a few hours since I feed DD. Its been a week, and we are starting to get the hang of it. Hopefully soon we will have it down pat! Thanks again...Elisha

Old 02-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gayle0000 HB User

Hi rvh802...my daughter is 5 months old and I've been breastfeeding since the beginning. I never had leaking issues either. I think I've leaked maybe twice ever...and it was in the earlier days when the baby would unexpectedly sleep all night and my breasts were much fuller than they were used to. I used to wear the nursing pads just for the sake of doing it, but quit because I never leaked. There were times I'd wear nursing pads in my bras to add another layer of protection for the overall soreness and keep nipples from rubbing/abrading on my bras...but not for milk leaking.

Also for the let-down...I never felt a significant let-down either...still don't at 5 months. I never even noticed the "let-down" until I started pumping milk for freezing/storage when I was able to watch the process and see it took about 10-15 seconds of pumping before the milk started flowing good. I guess after pumping enough and seeing it, I was able to feel the let-down sensation...but it's very subtle for me, and I never even notice the sensation unless I concentrate on it.

My next-door neighbor breastfed her 3 kids and told me her let-down was really intense. She says she could feel it all the way up to her collarbones and she said the feeling was almost orgasmic. Yikes! I never had that.

I also have the same tingling when I'm done feeding. It's kind of an intense tingly itch deep inside. Only lasts for 5 mins or so...10 mins at the most. I notice it more when she feeds a long time and my breast is drained...or after I've pumped a breast as dry as I can get it. I asked my lactaion consultant about this, and she had no idea. I also have the same thinking as you...the breast is working to replenish. Don't know if that's the correct explanation for it, but that's what I think too.
Gayle

Old 02-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

I wish I never leaked, ds is 9 months, and I still leak like crazy, I have a heavy let down. I still have to buy those dumb nursing pads every week!

Old 02-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

summertyme HB User

I never felt any let down either, but I did leak some at first. It was also weird because if I put the baby on to nurse, and he/she (I have one of each) popped off or lost their grip right at first, I would spray milk across the room. The first time it happened it was like "What the heck...?"

I made my own nursing pads out of t-shirts. I took the shirts and cut them into about 4 inch squares and sewed about 4 layers together. They worked great for at home, but if I got dressed up for something important I usually wore the store ones because they had the leak-proof layer just to be sure.

Last edited by summertyme; 02-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #15
(female)

feb06baby HB User

I have never felt my let down either. And I don;t feel the tingling sensation afterwards. I do leak though, especailly when I have not feed her in a while. My boobs don't spray, but they do drip milk. I have to wear the pads...ugh!

Have any of you all had your baby choke a little when they eat? DD either swallows too fast/incorrectly or my milk flows way to fast for her. She chokes and coughs each time she eats. I have to pull her off and pat her back for a few seconds, and then she's fine. What can I do about this?

Closed Thread